1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2019 thread - Season Over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 25 Nov 2018.

1. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Is it just me that's not a fan of those wheel covers...?

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Tbh i expect the end result to be like the 2009-ish ones... which weren't too bad imo

3. RedFlames

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The lack of rear wing end fences is an interesting one, that will cost a huge amount of downforce. But then with such a massive tunnel under the car they might not care.

5. RedFlames

Isn't the whole point of the 2021 regs that most of the DF is from ground effect rather than the wings

6. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

New design of DRS looks interesting... to the extent that it looks like it'll add to the back end getting less "wheel-slippy".

7. RedFlames

McRenault opting to forego the wheel covers on their concept mockup -

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Actually quite like it, you can see its an F1 car, but its futuristic enough to look cool. Bit like how the FE cars look quite mad now, an the Robo Race drone cars.

9. RedFlames

I don't dislike the concepts... but we all know the ends result will look naff all like the concepts, any more than the current cars looked like previous 'future of F1' concepts...

10. RedFlames

11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

12. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Funny how an investigation into Ferraris engines show up nothing but suddenly the Ferraris lose that power advantage, odd that.

13. legoman

They just couldn't get the tyres working, seb had understeer, leclerc had similar, plus got shafted with a long stop.

14. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Just a bit of tongue in cheek response to this

15. RedFlames

Give how quick he went backwards down the order i think Vettel's suspension was ****ed long before it eventually let go.

16. RedFlames

17. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Felt abit bad for Vettel having his suspension snap like that, but some of those bumps looked ROUGH AF At Turn one and im pretty sure that buggered his suspension, and the under steer was a result of that
    eventually he hit a bump a little hard, and the weakened part snapped completely

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Both Ferraris struggled with tyres, and were nowhere. Their relative performance seems to have been down in this race as well (according to Trap data), indicating the directive has screwed them a bit as well.
    Seb's suspension failure - it was probably buggered before it let go... maybe some clattering over some kerbs in Quali.

Lewis was driving well on those old tyres. My gut said he should have pitted around lap 40-0dd, put the mediums on (not sure he still had some, I believe he didn't have new softs anymore), come out ~9-10 seconds behind, and tried to race Max and possibly Bottas. Clearly, my gut feeling does not involve traffic, which would in all likelihood have screwed him, the way it delayed Bottas and Max.

Albon though - great drive from him.
    Good to see DanyRic and Norris having a go as well.

19. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

IMO the directive did nothing to Ferrari - they were just fine in those two long straights.

In case of USA, qualifying was close (with errors on both sides), and the race came down to broken suspension on Vettel's side (i would bet it was damaged at start already, so that could explain the more dramatic loss of position) and to the fact, that track simply didn't suit Ferrari as much ('Silverstone' corners (2-9) and the final sector).
    Remember, Ferrari always has a worse race performance than their qualification performance, and their qualification performance was very close to Mercedes and RB this time.

Also everyone seems to have forgot that Leclerc went back to older engine spec because of the practice issue, thus after the initial lap and maybe seeing they couldn't match the performance of the front runners because of the tyre issue they could have just tuned back the old engine to keep it working for the whole race and settle for 4th place ?

I wonder what will be the explanations in 2 weeks when Ferrari will be again gain speed because of Brazilian track layout (high speed between corners 12 to 1 and 2 to 8).

Last edited: 4 Nov 2019
  20. legoman

I never said why, I mean when his suspension failed he did have lots of understeer :grin: