1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gigabyte launches 'first' water-cooling external graphics card: the Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 25 Nov 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

[​IMG]

Vault-Tec and Dr. Coin like this.
  3. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Oh René, you do worry so. If the liquid used is non conductive then there is no corrosion issue. Alternatively, while the typical practice is to use a single piece of machined metal for a cooler base it doesn't have to be. The liquid interface might be aluminium with a smaller (and cheaper) copper interface to the GPU. Third option is if the copper and or aluminium has been coated to prevent direct contact with the liquid. I am sure that Gigabyte has thought through the dissimilar metals issue.

I thought eGPUs had failed as a product line, I am surprised to see this one even with the water cooled gimmick.

Aside: I now have the 'Allo 'Allo theme music stuck in my head.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Also aluminium radiator may just refer to the material the fins are made of, which isn't necessarily the same as the pipe material.

5. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

yes copper and aluminum have been mixed several times over multiple industries, its usually only a problem when average joe hobby guy tosses them together with unknown mix of grocery store distilled water and who knows what coolant and dyes and blah blah blah

just for giggles we have a steam generator at work, that's copper and aluminum and obviously much hotter than a GPU, running plain distilled water we generate out of a box in house the worst its done is turned the copper dark brown ... after over a decade of nearly 24/7 operation

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I suspect 99.99% of 'galvanic corrosion' issues in WC loops are really just mould growth.

Tags: Add Tags