1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Thinking maybe I should have gone for desktop Ryzen.

Then looking into it and realising I would use more lanes on my SSDs alone, and that it has nowhere near enough features to match all of my gear.

2. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Where do I find how many PCIe lanes a Ryzen setup has/offers?

3. Vault-Tec

You Google it. Yours is 24, apparently. Mind you it does state PCIE 4, but you need the board for that.

It slips my mind sometimes just how much stuff I have in my rig. I guess there's a reason why I leaned toward HEDT. Mind you what am I saying? I had dual P2 Xeons in 1999 or 2000.

My SSDs alone will use 32 lanes. That's without the GPU using 16 also.

4. Vault-Tec

Always wanted one of these :D big fat mama jama power cables with overkill plug. Found it under my bed. Must have been from that amp my cousin dropped around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just needs a clean and that ghastly blue shrink replacing with black.

5. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Wonder if I've overloaded my CPU/'board combo. - 4 S-ATA drives & a graphics card says, to me, 32 lanes req'd.

Too much hijacking, on my part... ignore me.

6. Vault-Tec

SATA doesn't use lanes, unless it's NVME PCIE. 2.5" drives are not PCIE, nor are M.2 SATA drives.

I have four X4 NVME SSDs. Three are the 80mm stick variant and the other is a U.2 Mini SAS that uses a cable to hook into an M.2 socket and uses four lanes also.

That's where your crazy reads on SSDs are coming from. Having X4 lanes. AMD have been clever not to give too much away on AM4. Just the bare necessities. Like, 16 lanes for a GPU, maybe 4 for a boot SSD and then 4 for sound cards and anything else. But that's where you'll be stuck, unless your board adds lanes with a chip and that is veeeery expensive.

Even with just what I had before I would have still used up every lane it had.

7. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Ahh... OK; overthinking it again. :(

8. Vault-Tec

Nah, it's all just very confusing and sometimes misleading dude.

Generally I have noticed that anything that does over 2000 read will be X4. M.2 sockets are just mini PCIE slots now. Well, some of them are wired into SATA too but I would imagine that will be phased out as the years pass.

But yeah you really need to read. A lot. For example if I use the M.2 port on my X99 board for SATA M.2 it disables two SATA ports. I thought my new Firecuda was dead....

9. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Is that ONLY for m.2 S-ATA (ie. non NVMe)... or are the m.2 ports & S-ATA ports always sharing resources?

10. Vault-Tec

From what I have seen (and I am no expert, I am learning as I type this !) if you use a M.2 SATA it is wired into the SATA channels. If you use PCIE it's wired into the PCIE lanes. Old sockets were SATA only, the newer ones are X4 PCIE and MSATA.

[​IMG]

There, see? I thought I had two dead hdds. Also, if I use that slot for a X4 PCIE NVME SSD it disables the X1 slot below. Good old Intel.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2020
  11. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

I have occasional thoughts of switching my boot drive to NVMe, but sanity (and lack of funds) tells me 'ain't worth it'.
    In the back of my head, summat tells me that the two types of port share resources, irrespective of drive tech.

12. Vault-Tec

In just booting Windows and etc? no point. When shoving around 160gb games? point.

I'll lose TRIM on my NVME RAID 0 which is a big deal, but benchehs. I want to see it scream over 6000 read lol. I will then install games that like HDD speed (like FO4 and others) onto it, not writing and wiping. It sucks not having TRIM, but the allure of something so fast is impossible to resist :D

13. Vault-Tec

Just got home. I was supposed to come home tomorrow, but autistic anxiety started building. Thankfully I didn't forget anything mega important and man all of my tools and pc gear are here in one place lol. I can now look at the block and the board and etc at the same time :D

I did forget something (verniers) but not sure I'll need them now.

Can't believe it's been three years since I upgraded my CPU. I think that's a record for me!

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It's not just intel that robs peter to pay paul - my brief and unpleaseant experience with the X470-i gaming board showeed that using the second m.2 slot killed two of the SATA ports (as well as making the whole ****ing thing flakier than a redhead in the sun).

Arboreal and Vault-Tec like this.
  15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

That is part of why HEDT was introduced, tbh. To funnel people with niche requirements (like more than 24 PCI-E lanes) onto a more expensive platform.

16. Vault-Tec

This was on a £450 RRP board with a Xeon with 40 lanes lol.

I guess I could blame Intel but I lean more towards MSI on this. Plug in one pcie SSD and lose two sata channels and the x1 slot with your sound card in below :D

17. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Think that bit goes for all chipsets; but likely a lesser handicap on an HEDT 'board.

18. Vault-Tec

19. Vault-Tec

You know how sometimes you hear a song and it cuts you deep?

Darkness on the new Eminem album is simply mind blowing. It's incredibly dark and gloomy but man it cuts deep. Can't stop listening to it whilst my head vibrates. Daren't play this over my sub.

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

My employer "doesn't want a Texit" which is nice to know.

Which means the lady and I can sign contracts about places to live that have garages and parking spaces galore. Which means I can finally get to work on the RS.

In related good news, the RS is so rare here in Germany (IE: 280 made it here officially) the majority of inspectors know jack **** about them. Which means I can get away with some subtle, factory looking, modifications. Which I have always strived for. So the TUV is less daunting now. So says a former owner that I met entirely by chance through work.

Everything's coming up Milhouse.