1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Garage improvements (power/light and access)

Discussion in 'General' started by legoman, 3 Mar 2020.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Wondering if anyone has any rough ideas on cost on having power and light and a door fitted to a single brick skin garage?
    Door would be a normal open close affair with lock an maybe a form of glass
    Power an light would be a pair of double sockets two LED ceiling lights and a take off for an alarm.

Garage is as the about 6M from the house, there is an existing double socket on the wall closest to the garage which I generally use to run an extension lead to run what ever I'm using out there.
    My understanding is it would just be drill out the back of the socket to make a hole run armoured cable 60cm underground too the garage it can pop up in and into a small consumer unit then off in trunking into switches etc?

I'm more than happy to do the trench and more to reduce cost but I know I need to have a sparky in as they need to give me a certificate for the work.

May keep this open after as I do more to the garage as it's going to become more a workshop.

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Might want to throw a conduit with a draw rope in the trench too, for future upgrades like ethernet?
    Maybe also overspec the cable to carry at least 40A to the garage if you think you might want an electric car in the future.

edzieba, spazmochad and Arboreal like this.
  3. legoman

Could do, My router is close by so gets decent signal in the garage. Mind you while its down Its not a hardship to do like you said.
    Cable wise I was going to overspec anyway, something like 6mm2 would be ample going in over a the short run I would think, but I would follow the sparkies advise on it anyway.
    Would make sense to have that option an just have a spare panel in the fuse box so it can go in on its own circuit.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Bear in mind that even branching off an existing circuit this would come under Part P and require either you hire a (certified) electrician to do the job, or to 1) notify the council beforehand and 2) have a certified electrician inspect the work afterwards. Sure, nobody is going to check if you just do it anyway, but in the event you need to make an insurance claim you can be they're going to sniff around any even vaguely that-could-have-been-DIY electric works.
    I'd second both of these. Pull-cord means you can run data out there later if needed with ease, and as most of the cost in installing this will be in labour and fitting things, installing an 'over-rated' cable makes it MUCH cheaper and easier to up-rate it later with minimal extra cost now.

IanW likes this.
  5. legoman

I'll defiantly be getting someone in, I meant me doing ground work like digging the trench. 6MM2 is good for 45A over 10M which is ample for my needs.

Planning wise I spoke to the council it comes under small changes. Insurance wise its fine actually keeps the premium the same if I have an alarm.

Oh an door, I would do myself but I know I would mess up an cut the hole too wide :hehe: