1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU NEW 10900k! (with bonus weird marketing points)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 30 Apr 2020.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Der8auer doing his excellent technolical analysis of it :) I'm only part way in, but those Intel merketing point are really really odd!

Vault-Tec likes this.
  2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It made me laugh. Such an oxymoron.

[​IMG]

"It's all about ghz and a few cores". Then why is this a 10 core? lmao.

"60% of games" yeah going back to DOS you mean.

"Better performance to drive high framerates" if you are a FPS counter? sure. That said I would imagine the 100+ you can get out of a 3600 would more than suffice for people with say a RX 590.

I can see it now. AMD drop the price of the 3900x to the same or less, and the 3950x to the point that this CPU is pointless.

3. Vault-Tec

That video is funny as balls. LOL.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

'6x as many units' WAT?

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It will be a faster chip than any Ryzen but can't fathom why you would if it requires another new board which has no new features, you've got to REALLY want those extra framerates, Obviously we have not see reviews but it is unlikely to be much more than 5-10% quicker, and it will probably cost 25% more than a 3900x.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

No chipset fan though I guess, I liked through that era previously and I hate to see it return, so for me I'm actually willing to pay a bit more to avoid that...

thewelshbrummie likes this.
  7. Vault-Tec

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

'Enthusiast' baiting. AMD has been marketing Moar Cores More Better and everyone has been lapping it up, so why not join in the fun? Of course, they still need to manufacture ores with faster clock speeds to satisfy the enterprise and OEM markets that make up the majority of their sales, where workloads are either lightly threaded or unthreaded and where responsiveness is prioritised.
    Same reason Zen 2 was not supported on older boards: new chips need new support features. That includes power delivery, and peripheral interconnects (e.g. future PCIe 4.0 support for Rocket Lake, DMI and PCIe overclocking, new WiFi MAC passthrough, 2.5GbE, etc).

For those who don't want to have to watch a youtube video, Anandtech have an article.

thewelshbrummie and Bloody_Pete like this.
  9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Part of my is a bit excited to see how high they clock! Not for performance, just seeing the GHz! 5.3GHz all core boost is a bit mad though really!

10. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

TB3 is a big thing if your into eGPU's.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

you wouldn't use egpu on a desktop though.

12. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

eGPU? Do you mean the iGPU?

14. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

No, they mean external GPU enclosure

Bloody_Pete and Goatee like this.
  15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

That's a laptop in a box :D but really much better performance and portability to be had from laptop/itx system for travelling etc, but hey each to their own though.

The newer cores would be better for egpu as you get more of the tb3 bandwidth due to better integration in new chips over the i7-8xxx if it is the same as the mobile 10xxxx

Last edited: 30 Apr 2020
  16. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

upload_2020-4-30_20-46-34.jpeg

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Ooooooooh! Of course!!! Apple needs TB eGPU's on desktop :p Thats useful as an alternalive to 10G ethernet in some ways, as then you just get a TB enclosure and you have a 10G NAS thats actually TBAS :p

18. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

For starters, going with a new board removes having to get a CPU loaned out to flash a new BIOS that supports it. I get Intel's way of doing things in that you get the supported features OOTB, and that by segmenting overclocking to the Z series chipsets, you can pretty much overclock to whatever everyone else is getting and be pretty confident that you'll get pretty close at worst, regardless of the board you choose. I keep seeing people going the AMD route are using the B450 boards to save money & trying to pair it with a Ryzen 9 which, while it should be supported, runs the risk of VRMs that aren't up to the job, especially if overclocking. I guess that's why it's not difficult to find motherboard tier lists for AMD.

Obviously you pay far more by going with Intel's approach but it does, for me, eliminate the uncertainty in terms of overclocking. Likewise, it's been the case since Sandy that 2 years per socket/2 CPU gens is the max you'll get, so it's not like you don't know what you're buying in to.

The bigger question for me is the motherboard feature-set as my last build is turning 7 years old and with it being in Wales and me being in California, it needs replacing (5-7 years is also my typical upgrade cycle). I've been after an mATX board and only the new Asus Z490 matx board has the features I want/need without compromise - there's nothing else on Z490 and nothing on AMD that has what I'm after. I get that I'm in the minority in that I build around the motherboard, rather than the CPU, but it's disappointing that there's nothing that interests me on the AMD side, at least in terms of motherboards. I'm assuming that's the vendors, rather than AMDs fault, but it does mean that I'm probably sticking with Intel for my next build despite AMD CPUs being far more interesting.

Agreed - that and I thought Intel were skipping PCI-E gen 4 as the gen 5 standard was finalised last year.

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Nah, Rocket Lake CPUs are coming that are PCIe 4,and more lanes, on the same Z490 platform. So thats giidbat5 least.

20. Vault-Tec

15:45. Caught talking BS, lie their way out of it.

Bloody_Pete likes this.