1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Quite right too.
    But a time limited transition period after all the so called negotiating has taken place is a different kettle of fish.

2. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Indeed.
    I wonder if Mr. Barnier being given the elbow by the 27 will make any difference, I doubt it.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Not heard that saying for a while. Thanks, one of the few times i've laughed in this thread :happy:

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Why should the EU solve the UK's ***********? It can "take back control" and sort it out for itself.

He has not been given the elbow, and no, it won't. Rather, the EU's current sentiments are as follows:

EU parliament lays down red line on Brexit talks – meaning no extension past October

This is what "competing on the international stage as an independent country" looks like. The UK better get used to being a medium-sized fish in a big sea now.

I was never aware of it before, but the sense of entitlement in this country is off the ****ing scale. From a Dutch perspective it is just mind blowing.

Last edited: 5 Sep 2020
  5. Nexxo

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

7. adidan

Our media will probably cry about copyright infringement or something

8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Ain't nobody asking anybody to sort owt out.
    Regardless of the relationship come the 1st January, they will need to trade with us and we will need to trade with them.
    Heaven forbid either side sits down and thinks that a zero cost transition period that is separate and ran after the 'negotiations' instead of concurrently is a sensible idea.

The EU have flip flopped over the labelling of consumer goods for the past 18 months, and like idjiots we've followed their lead and said the same to them, nothing but bloody minded pig headiness.

They could use their Article 13 against them, if they ever get around to it.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Isn't that literally what we're in now, the time-limited transition period? Which ends on January 1st?

Remember, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson had an oven-ready deal which just needed to be popped in the microwave(!)¹ Parliament voted on it² and everything. What negotiation is there left to do³, and why wasn't it done before we entered into the time-limited transition period⁴ - and, more importantly, what guarantees are there that if we had another time-limited post-time-limited-transition-period transition period (which we can't, because we specifically voted to not do that) we wouldn't get to the end of that without actually having reached an agreement?⁵

1: He didn't.
    2: Not only without actually reading it, but after stifling any possible debate on the topic. Your elected representatives, ladies and gents...
    3: Most of it, having spaffed the years since the vote up the wall.
    4: 'cos our current government is wholly staffed by the dregs left after not one, not two, but three purges of the unfaithful. And they're all shovelling as much cash at their friends as they can before January.
    5: I'm sure that this time we wouldn't waste the countdown clock we very specifically started ourselves...

Last edited: 5 Sep 2020
    Nexxo likes this.
  10. Nexxo

It is not at all a sensible idea from the EU's perspective. The UK is either in or out. It chose to be out. This is what "out" means. Sure, it will cause complications for the EU too, but not nearly as many as it would cause to let the UK continue to enjoy the privileges of Single Market membership without any obligations that make them possible in the first place. It is, frankly, gobsmacking that people don't seem to understand the relationship between the two. And the UK is empathically not prepared to continue adhering to the obligations after 1st January 2021.

Not at all. There are rules on labelling for EEA/EU members, rules on labelling for FTA partners, and rules on labelling for the rest. Given that, after 4 years, it is still not clear what the relationship between the UK and EU will be, it is also still not clear which rules it will have to follow.

All this is the consequence of leaving the EU, and in particular leaving the way that the UK did. "Taking back control", y'all.

11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

No. we're in a concurrent transition & negotiating phase, which is madness, they should run after each other.

I'm spending half of my time trying to advice both EU & UK industry what labelling and what standards they need to comply with, although it's anything which is CE marked not foodstuffs, and from my perspective both the EU and the UK can take a long walk off a short pier.

Transition periods after the fact are not a unicorn pipe dream, I deal with them at an EU level every working day, be it directive, regulations or standards that are being amended or phased out.

I agree, out is out, we should therefore label anything and everything as if we were a 3rd country, and treat all imports from the EU accordingly, likewise both sides should be adhering to each other standards and regulations as both do for the rest of the world already.

If, although unlikely, a deal is pulled out at the eleventh hour both sides should accept that industry has proceeded in good faith based on the most likely no deal outcome and applied the most onerous labelling requirements, then it will be accepted until such a time (limited) as existing stock can be sold through.

Both sides see making such an announcement as a sign of weakness, so both sides sit around with their thumb up their arse doing no one any favours.

12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

How on Earth have you worked with the NHS for more than 2 decades without becoming aware of the British entitlement disease?

I'm in my sixth year and 'I'm XYZ so I should get this benefit/jump the queue/receive a discount,' is a weekly conversation. Nobody is worse than the over 50s, they are obsessed with their vouchers, 'I'm old I should get a voucher, I have this form that says I am entitled to a voucher,'

The things they have rarely entitle them to anything, but my God will they argue the toss over their magic vouchers and they'll scream at me for having the temerity to deny what they are 'owed'. Ultimately I see Brexit as an extension of that attitude, having a privileged position and a favourable financial deal and a contribution opt-out wasn't enough, somehow, nothing would ever be enough.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It is madness, yes. It's also what we voted for, after four years of alleged negotiation. During which time we extended the deadline we triggered by enacting Article 50 three times. We were then given the opportunity to extend this transition period even further, by up to two years, but our government - our government, not anyone in the European Union - literally made doing so illegal so that Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson could "get Brexit done"¹ with his "oven-ready deal"².

There is madness here, undeniably, but to say any of it lies on the European side of the fence feels misplaced.

1: Going well, that, innit?
    2: Again, what are we negotiating for? We have a deal, don't we? Isn't that why we voted to make further transition periods illegal?

Nexxo likes this.
  14. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Nexxo and adidan like this.
  15. Nexxo

Those are changes within a system of governance, not between systems of governance. There's a difference.

No, the EU rightly feels that any transition that offers access to the Single Market should have Single Market governance. The UK has deliberately closed off any option of such an extension.

I know, right? Sometimes this "unconditional acceptance and positive regard" foundational principle of psychotherapy ******** makes you blind to the obvious.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2020
  16. adidan

Watched some of that, will watch the rest later.

I do hope the country has a reality check and eats some humble pie.

VipersGratitude likes this.
  17. Nexxo

adidan and VipersGratitude like this.
  18. adidan

19. Nexxo

[​IMG]

adidan likes this.
  20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Oh so they are merely proposing to dump literally all the negotiations already done in the sea and starting over from scratch...

Maybe someone should tell them that we've already left and there is a bit of a time crunch going on?

Except the UK vociferously rejected applying NI solutions to the whole UK.

Yes, that'll work... no tariff has ever been met with tit for tat counter tariffs.

Ahh that short memory of the Tory rabble strikes again, it was the UK who decided to ignore services.

Quite impressive to work both a victim and saviour complex into so few words.

Sure, nuke the global economy for your petty Brexshit experiment, also the US has no reason to do what the UK tells it to.