1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ Da Module Thingy - Handmade Not Sponsored

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jean R built, 19 Feb 2020.

1. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

New video online

2. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Hi all, today I had to craft one of my contraptions :dremel:, I used a really old vintage grinder someone gifted me like 20 years ago ( at the time it was already old) and some wood scraps, one was the test for Da Module Thingy's crowns.

Right now I'm crafting the knuckles for the fingers, the problem lies in the time to craft them.

The project needs 32 knuckles parts in total, there are 2 different types:

• 16 type A the ones connecting the mid hub to the fingers
    • 16 type B the ones connecting the 2 sections of each finger

I have spent about 4 days crafting them, and only 9 are close to completion, so it was taking too much time :wallbash:.

Some days ago my brother told me about his Idea to use the grinder to speed up the process, and here we are.

[​IMG]

It's not a beauty right now but I tested it and it works, in fact it works so well that I thought I should have crafted it earlier.

When I have some time I'll mod it and make it cool looking :cooldude: or at least funny or both, and a bit safer :thumb:

Cheers

Last edited: 21 Nov 2020
    Cheapskate, 4LIEN and Karrek like this.
  3. 4LIEN

4LIEN Modder

Good idea to use the grinder in that way, you will save a lot of time!

Jean R built likes this.
  4. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Yup some jobs are super fast now.

But... there is a But

⚠⚠ WARNING ⚠⚠ ⚠⚠

Check your belt or your suspenders (I use suspenders so comfy :happy:) and your shoelaces.

Find a secure and comfortable location, it's better if you sit down.

I present you Da K.E.G. (Kool Enhanced Grinder)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I just couldn't leave it like it was, so here it is in all it's Dandy glory, it's Cool and funny at the same time, this is a recipe for sexy danger :cooldude:

Cheers

Dot_Kappa and Karrek like this.
  5. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

love it. great character! and a little safer too!

Jean R built likes this.
  6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol: That's not old. You are just young.

Jean R built likes this.
  7. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Yup I'm young, that falls in the point of view :hehe:, still it's 20+ years old maybe I should have called it vintage. Edited the adjective.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2020
  8. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Hardware update:

I have tested my DIMM slots I don't know exactly why, but after the bios update to be able to use the 3200G, if I put the Ram in DIMM 1 it doesn't boot.
    Physically the motherboard looks ok, thankfully I found an Amazon deal and now I have 16 Gb of RAM, and it looks Dandy too :cooldude:

HyperX Fury RGB 16 Gb CL16 3200 Mhz

[​IMG]

I know that it's not a powerhouse, but for now I'm super happy :grin: and I have doubled the RAM of the little beast.

Cheers

lowfat likes this.
  9. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

New episode is online

Have a wonderful day

censored_Prometheus_ likes this.
  10. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

Lots of work! I saw that you keep some of the aluminum shavings - what do you do with them?

Jean R built likes this.
  11. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

You are the first to ask about it, I'm going to put them into a snowglobe :grin:

12. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Last October I bought my first angle grinder when it was on a flash sale, and now that I have different discs, I got to admit that I'm falling in love :blush::naughty:

At last if all goes well tomorrow I should complete all the knuckles :rock:

I'll keep you updated.

13. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Get your Slanket and coffee ☕ ready and sit down to watch the new video on the YouTube channel.

It could blow your mind :hehe:

14. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Update with Episode 6 of the log

I'll be honest, this phase was a PITA, the 32 parts are done, there will be the finishing phase with the brushing before the end of the project but the structure is sound.

The parts were measured with the digital caliper to get them to a good level of precision, like Da Module Thingy all parts are on the 1 or 2/10 of mm tolerance, so even if it's not CNC level precision I consider it pretty good.

I had to recenter some holes by hand with a file before the last pass with the step drill, 9mm holes with a 10mm counterbore, cause the sleeve nuts have a small step under the head so it was easier to modify the holes.

Now all slip inside flush and well tight with no wobbling, there are some couples that are different from the rest, but that is what I wanted, so I keep the asymmetric theme of the case.

Have a nice day

Cheapskate and lowfat like this.
  15. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Well today I crafted 16 more knuckles, yes I did, it's starting to look like I'm loco but I'm not :hehe:

I was thinking about one of my future projects, it has a concept for it's theme that I'm going to use on Leetfoot with a twist.

I'm gonna try to explain it, the Leetfoot is just my starship's module dock for Da Module Thingy, that vaguely resembles a mech foot, that also vaguely look like it's the case foot when it's docked, so to speak.

And then the other day when sanding, cutting and filing, I thought that no one is forcing me to make the dock like it must resemble something that already exist, it already has 8 fingers.

I'm avoiding to have too many moving parts, as that could lead to noises, and from the start one of the main goal of the Thingy is to be silent, and right now it is.

But I also want to Implement a way to change a bit it's shape if I want to, and I will, that's why I crafted the new 16 knuckles.

All the knuckles will be used, the newer ones are slightly bigger and are going to be used to connect the hub to the fingers, as a consequence the fingers are going to be more segmented.

This way I'll be able to twist the fingers more, and I'll also be able to put them in a configuration that will vaguely resemble an octopus or a squid arms, I like them and I want them.

The parts will be kept in shape by friction, that's one of the reason the new ones are bigger, each knuckle will be held in position by 2 x M6 screws with sleeve nuts, the fingers should have enough strength and friction to avoid the use of lock pins or more screws.

This modification will influence the shape of the shells screwed on the fingers, they will probably be slender, but more on that in the next days.

Cheers.

Karrek likes this.
  16. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Episode 7 is online, in this one there is again a lot of drilling and the new knuckles.

now I'm going back to drill and counterboring again :lol:

Cheers

Cheapskate and 4LIEN like this.
  17. keenan

keenan Minimodder

This is such an amazing build and your creativity is on full display!!

Very impressive!

Jean R built likes this.
  18. DjChrisK94

DjChrisK94 What's a Dremel?

what a beauty. i wish i have the tools and space to build a scratch-build to... i just can mod step by step a normal case^^ with my space and tools i have (if the inwin case i have is a normal one^^). i just have an 24qm appartment with balcony.
    keep on modding.

Jean R built likes this.
  19. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Thanks, I'm really glad you like the project too :grin:.

By the way if you see the videos it may look that my Spaceship Lab is a lot bigger that it really is.

I'm writing this so anyone who will read the log in the future, they won't give up before starting a new project because they don't have a big budget, never give up!

You can't see it in the videos, but the part of the workbench you see in the videos is 90 cm x 45 cm or about 35 inches x 17.5 inches.
    Behind me there is my brother's Miata parked, giving me that look because there is dust flying towards it's skin :lol:, I have some space but my Lab is not like Tony Stark's Lab.

But I understand that specially in big towns space can be a problem, and it may be hard to have a garage or basement available.

All my tools are those budget tools you buy with deals for less than 20-30 € each, but I love them because they help me a lot, the files cost 3 € each and I bought them in the last few weeks, because I got this crazy Idea to go for the CMWS20.

The drill bits are from those sets that you can find in stores for less than 15 €, honestly I'm in need for a pillar drill, or at least a good drill, but I'm making do with the tools I have.

Again I repeat my self in saying that you can do a scratch build with a low budget, and get crazy results, if you need to do it fast you may need to invest more, but if you are in no hurry you are fine, never give up!

Regards.

Dot_Kappa and Karrek like this.
  20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I will admit Mazdas make terrible space heaters, but you are not alone in the budget/space department. I'm reminded of John's toilet paint booth. :lol:

Jean R built likes this.