1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other FTTP rollout UK

Discussion in 'General' started by Krikkit, 29 Sep 2021.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Openreach's contractors came and stuffed our roads full of fibre in March ready for FTTP, but still no sign here - our local exchange has also been upgraded.

Anyone rolling the sweet sweet fibre? How long were you waiting?

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

CityFibre installed here (Bournemouth) and it was probably between four and six months before Vodafone offered the service for installation. Once they did it was quite quick, perhaps a week or so.

Not the same supplier but perhaps it gives you an idea?

3. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

This can vary quite a lot. Mostly it depends on which of the Openreach contractors (and their subcontractors) has the contracts for that area. It does seem to be that getting in the spines can get done quite quick. Mainly because they bring in the most cash for the effort for the subcontractor and cause the most complaints from above if they are delayed. The later connections are more work for the money offered so, most people put them off for more profitable works.

4. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

I've had similar in Cambridge - but I didn't quite understand: do Vodafone hold a monopoly on my supply for now, and in perpetuity?

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

After a 6 month delay due to the current plague. it took Openreach about 3 months to completely upgrade my small home town's network. Every duct & pole was inspected & repaired or replaced.
    Sky's ordering page went live less than a month later, and I was able to get an appointment within 2 weeks after that.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

No plans for FTTP here, but it's okay because we have Super Fast FTTC available

[​IMG]

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm signed up with Brsk, which reckons it's doing a FTTP rollout in my area. Got a message a week ago saying they'd completed the build and would be in touch for the installation... which was a big confusing, 'cos I haven't seen any diggers or riggers around here.

Got an email a few days later apologising, saying that while it's still definitely coming it'll be a while longer yet 'cos they haven't finished the build phase...

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Thanks everyone, sounds like a lottery which is no surprise when OpenReach are on the case!

Oh my sympathies - I'm on about 55Mbps and it feels a bit lacking, I can't imagine being back down at that speed these days!

On the bright side, do you at least live somewhere lovely? :)

9. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Snap!

10. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Tried Virgin?

I suffered a poor phone line for years (and struggled to get 35mbit via FTTC). There's no hope of FTTP arriving here anytime soon so I switched to Virgin earlier this year and have been delighted with the speeds and overall package.

11. Mister_Tad

Neither can I fortunately, I run the fixed line as a failover for a 4G connection that hovers around 120/70, give or take.
    4G of course has its own caveats, but all in all preferable to the alternative.

We came from FTTP at the last place, and the internet speed was really the only thing in the "con" column for this move, but it more than weighed out.

12. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Yeah Cityfibre are working around our area on the Western edge of Nottingham city (anything further on from us is in the county and as such not being touched at the moment) at the moment. We have had most of the runs put down the road and linking the telegraph poles together, but nothing as yet about any providers.

We have had a few leaflets come through the door talking about it all, but nothing in terms of dates.

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

We are not scheduled to get it in our area until 2026.....but I am in a pretty decent position in that I can get decent internet from a number of sources upto 1Gb at least for download, but really I'd like more upload, even some of the lowest FTTP tiers have 100Mb upload, that'd be lovely, though synchronous 1Gb would be better :D as uploading to a few 100Gb to the cloud is yawn inducing currently, I'd also like improved latency, the FTTC setup I had previous was far superior to my current offering from Virgins Cable network in this regard who are behind the curve if you are still on their HFC solution as I am.

I guess uploads should improve as I seem to recall the spec put forward to be labelled as Gigabit capable broad band in the governments eyes for sunding support suggests a min 20% upload.

Last edited: 30 Sep 2021
  14. Mister_Tad

At our last place in Mapperley we had a date for installation within two weeks of seeing Openreach vans on down the road, which was a nice surprise. I was checking every day though.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

How can one find out if my area is even on the schedule?

50 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up for many years now. I can go Virgin but Zen FTTC had been rock solid and I've had multiple problems previously with VM at another place (slow speed during peak times, router regularly locks up, totally useless telephone support)

My parents in a village have leapfrogged us in suburban London. They have FTTP and I was able to stream VR games from their house over internet at my home's max download bandwidth.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Thanks. Not coloured :( I won't be one of 25 million :sigh:

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Same here, probably because like me you can get decent services like VM so area is not prioritized, which is fair enough.

wyx087 likes this.
  19. Mister_Tad

Wowee... I've not checked that in a while as it was always so depressing, but seems I've been bumped from nowt to yellow! Woo!

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Take with a pinch of salt. My area is red (April 2021 to December 2026), but as posted above, I've had it for a few months now.