1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Books you are currently reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by Weekly_Estimate, 7 Nov 2010.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I always got confused between Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer, 'cos to me Vic looks more like a Bob and Bob looks more like a Vic.

I'm currently working my way through:

upload_2022-1-19_13-59-17.png

Claims to be the first academic treatise on the topic. Need to get a wriggle on, 'cos I need to have written up my review of the thing by Friday...

trigger and Byron C like this.
  2. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

And you are managing to stay awake ?

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

...and just to confuse matters, Vic is actually a Jim (but Bob's still a Bob) :p:

IanW and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm actually quite enjoying it! Although the author getting confused between striping and mirroring in RAID arrays (claiming that striping creates duplicate copies of the data, which is the exact opposite of what it does) raised an eyebrow...

GaryP and Arboreal like this.
  5. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Nope, Bob's a Robert, only started using Bob when he started getting on stage with Vic in the pub, and it was Vic that started calling him it.

Jim was nearly a Craig.... Craig Wildfowl !

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I'm currently reading three books, all have something to do with madness.

The Madness of Crowds by Douglas Murray
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
    Under a Raven's Wing by Stephen Volk

Weekly_Estimate and Pete J like this.
  7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Not sure if this counts, but... "Usagi Yojimbo: Bunraku & Other Stories" by Stan Sakai.

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'll be interested in your opinion on 'The Madness of Crowds'.

9. perplekks45

Well, I'm about halfway through and there are a lot of things in the book I agree with and/or feel the same about. The author attacks, mostly with facts, some of my main issues with today's society (i.e., the over-dramatisation of many things, especially in (social) media, cancel culture, the willful overshooting of targets when it comes to minority rights, ...). Sure, he has some pretty obvious flaws like his contempt for Marxism and his own use of (over)generalisation of certain statements about groups he doesn't agree with.

Overall, as with Jordan Peterson, there is a lot said in the book I agree with and a few things I don't. And, again similar to Peterson, there is a clear agenda being pushed here. But that isn't really surprising, is it?

Pete J likes this.
  10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I'm currently reading Moby Dick, which I had presumed would be about mad old Ahab pursuing the white whale at all costs, but I'm ¾ of the way through and the big fish hasn't even shown up yet. Mostly it's about the mechanics of whale fishing, pretty interesting and enjoyable.

"And what sort of lively lads with the pencil those Chinese are, many queer cups and saucers inform us" :hehe:

Weekly_Estimate and Pete J like this.
  11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Batman vs Aliens Vol 1

Read this last night. Relatively short, it took me just over an hour at a leisurely rate. Terrific, and a reminder of the golden era of comic books.

I remember first reading this in... WH Smiths, I think it was, when I was ickle. I would've been ~13 at the time, getting ready to go to secondary school. I read the whole thing in-store while my dear mother was shopping. Dunno why at the time I didn't beg for it as a present, or use my pocket money to buy it.

Now, I may have Vol 2 turning up in a while...

12. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Lee Child - Killing Floor
    Having watched the Amazon Prime series and loved it, i thought i'd give a Reacher book a try, not actually realising that the series is based off it :duh: Luckily, the series is (in retrospect) an amazing interpretation of the book, yes there are some changes, but it all just works. Loved the book, will return for more reacher in the future...

Andy Weir - Project Hail Mary
    Haven't finished this yet, only 35% through according to the Kindle, but another cracking bit of sci-fi and, so far, on par enjoyment-wise with the Martian, and much better than the good but slightly disappointing Artemis...

Pete J likes this.
  13. perplekks45

Reacher novels are some of the best easy-to-read action-crime books out there.

I finished a few of the Dexter books (will start book #7 today or tomorrow, actually), haven't really touched the other more serious books I'm still reading on the side in a while. I did, however, read "Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens" and "Peter and Wendy" and some comics in between.

A word about the Dexter books:
    they're a really easy read, fun most of the time and I love the dark humour parts. But why are they so inconsistent when it comes to the protagonist's emotion (or lack thereof... sometimes)? And the big reveals in them are laughably obvious 9 out of 10 times. A bit of a rollercoaster ride to read them.

Pete J likes this.
  14. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Clear a shelf off, there are 26 of 'em

15. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

That's what the Kindle's for... i've stopped buying books before reading, and only pick them up if I want to "keep" them post read.

16. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I read half of Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde last night, really quite enjoying it so far. Unfortunately, like Dracula a lot of the intrigue is ruined as we all know the story, but in this case it's less driven by suspense so it's not unenjoyable.

It's also a nice short read, for people like me who never really get a chance to sink into a proper book.

17. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

If you get the chance, the audiobook of this is well worth listening to... as is The Martian to be honest! And yeah, I feel the same about Artemis. That might be why this one has been optioned as a movie with Ryan Gosling attached to play the lead and the guys behind 21/22 Jump Street, The Lego Movies and Into the Spiderverse, Phil Lord & Chris Miller. If anyone can do it justice, it will be them!

MadGinga likes this.
  18. perplekks45

Finished the Dexter books, read up to (including) book #9 of the Jack Reacher series, read the Shackleton biography by Fiennes, read some comics. Probably forgot something else I read. Lots of flights and train rides recently, as well as a 2-week holiday.

Now I'll start the following books, the first on the iPad (physical copy will arrive sometime in the not-so-near future), the latter a hardcover.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pete J and Weekly_Estimate like this.
  19. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

[​IMG]

Danny the Digger is the best of the bunch. Well worth the read. I've read it 8 times in an hour this afternoon. My grandson does need to remind me though to say 'The End'. Personally they should have printed that in the book but I still recommend it.

Danny does a fair bit of digging

Byron C, Arboreal, ElThomsono and 3 others like this.
  20. perplekks45

I'm happy to share my name with a hero in red.

Arboreal likes this.