1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows So Clarkson has shot himself in the foot again

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 17 Jan 2023.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I mean seriously how up yourself do you have to be to do it twice.

I loved top gear, grand tour and Clarksons farm but he can't keep his over opinionated mouth shut (or fists to himself)

I hope his two companions see financial sense and kick him to the kerb.

2. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

This is the way.

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

With his record, it’s surprising he can still walk…

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Loud moths shooting themselves in the foot? Let that sink in.

5. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

why ? Have I missed something big, or is it that megan markle thing from the other week ?

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

No, it was the Meghan thing.

He's made a career as a columnist by writing inflammatory pieces for people to love/hate, but in this case he totally misjudged how far to go. Frankly it was stupid and thoroughly over the top. Shame, because Clarkson's farm would've been a very fun watch given the first.

I suspect he's not a bad guy under all the bluster, he just hams up the persona for the public, but that's just my 2p.

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The first I heard of Clarkson's Farm was when he was ordered to tear up the restaurant he'd built without planning permission.

8. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I was wondering if it was to do with something on the farm, but hey-ho. Maybe we'll get Calebs Farm on telly then.

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I liked Top Gear and The Grand Tour etc... but Jezza is bigoted gobshite.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I mean, he literally punched Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon in the face for daring to provide him with cold-cuts instead of a steak. While calling him "Irish" as a pejorative, to add racist insult to literal injury. I've never met the guy - and nor would I ever want to - but I'mma go ahead and continue believing that he is, indeed, a bad guy.

When somebody shows you who they are, believe them.

Byron C likes this.
  11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

In happier news, Captain Slow has finally claimed his Guinness World Record for the longest model train layout.

Byron C likes this.
  12. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Too many fannys in the world with a bruised peach, take offence to everything attitude these days. Harry/Megan deserve all the flak they get, they’re just media/attention seeking nobodies.

The sooner the royal family are relegated to being nothing more than a footnote the better. They’re fossils of an antiquated bygone era.

Pete J likes this.
  13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Conversely, there are too many w@nkers in the world who are terrified that society is slowly evolving beyond the point where being a dick is no longer acceptable.

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Clarkson comes across as an obnoxious, odious individual, but I accept that (as Krikkit says) it may be a part of his persona. There's little disagreement that what he said about Markle is vulgar and inappropriate, but that's what free speech gets you - the guarantee that something written or said somewhere will invariably offend and upset some people.

I find the backlash against Clarkson equally upsetting; people seem to have lost the capacity to understand why free speech (and freedom of expression in general) is so important to a free-thinking society. I've genuinely given up talking about this sort of thing with my colleagues, who regularly join in chorus to ridicule and disparage JK Rowling. What heinous crime has she committed? She... shares her opinions on Twitter.

So, yeah... Clarkson is a a bit of a phallus, but despite some hurt feelings, what damage was actually done? Any recorded suicides or hospitalisations?

Pete J and sandys like this.
  15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I don't care about Clarkson. I don't care about Harry and Megan.

The sooner we ditch all these mini cultist followings the better.

16. Krikkit

Good point, I'd forgotten about the details of that, a douche after all then.

Hex, Byron C and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  17. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I mean yeah he can say what he wants, doesn't mean he should be able to say it in a national newspaper and nobody react to it surely?
    Freedom of speech != freedom from consequences? Nobody is arresting him for his comments.

Also I would quite like to live in a society where it doesn't take people dying or being taken to hospital before you think maybe they shouldn't have done that.

Edit:
    Also don't get being equally upset at someone being abusive about someone and to people reacting to that initial act just doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2023
    Byron C and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  18. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

You can't simply expect to be able to say whatever you like in public and expect people to put up with it. If you are _repeatedly_ an asshole, you are eventually going to cross a line where people write you off completely. Neither of the two people you highlight have once or twice said something controversial: they both have double, triple, quadruple downed on it, made it a very large part of their public persona.

Hex, Byron C and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  19. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

^This is the point.

As a private individual writing in a newspaper that wishes to publish what he writes he's absolutely free to write what he wants. And in the same vein, Amazon as a private company are free to read what he writes, consider it offensive to their values or that of their customers, and as his employer tell him to take a walk.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2023
    Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  20. Krikkit

Yep, well put.

It's nothing to do with free speech if your friends and employers find you unacceptable for what you say. I wouldn't employ or keep working with someone who said a bunch of racist tripe, for example.

Byron C likes this.