1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Energy prices, what's your plan?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by ElThomsono, 30 Aug 2022.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

December we used £254 gas. I feel your pain.

This is a graph representation of increasing cost from the Glow in-house display.
    upload_2023-1-26_21-3-26.jpeg

MLyons likes this.
  2. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Well we have just signed up for a solar installation on our roof of 6KW. Payback time is calculated at just under 8 years, however this is with the French electricity prices which are far more reasonable than the UK.

Goatee, Gareth Halfacree and wyx087 like this.
  3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

January utility usage in, first month on the new rates (came out of fixed tariff mid December)

£1028

:sigh:

4. wyx087

BP and Shell posting record profits. BP are even saying it will scale back plans to reduce fossil fuel extraction. :wallbash:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64544110

Here's 2 very good and simple fixes to the electricity prices:
    upload_2023-2-7_13-29-11.png
    Source:

adidan likes this.
  5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

If I can think of an obvious similar scenario the only thing stopping it are vested interests and political will.

We're being taken for a massive ride.

wyx087 likes this.
  6. keef247

keef247 Modder

Bought an old mac mini that I whacked an ssd and 16gb ram in and use that primarily at my desk with my aoc 27" 1080p monitor - uses 1p an hour on the smart meter :) Then started replacing all my consoles for low power versions... Have a ps3 slim with an ssd in that now uses 100w/per hour vs 200w of my phat, about to buy a ps4 slim and put an ssd in that which uses 74w/per hour vs 150-160w of a phat, and going to build a low power usage 3600x/rx6600 that's framecapped to 60fps/undervolted.
    The ps3 slim uses 3p an hour with a 27" aoc monitor/beefy speakers/amp at a nice enough volume, the ps4 slim should use around 2p with the same setup, oh and I have a modded wii for gamecube gaming and that was something hilarious like 1p an hour again with the moni and speakers :D My 65" HiSense 4k tv only uses 3p an hour on max brightness playing 4k hdr 60fps :D

wyx087 likes this.
  7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Had a council circular through the door recently re: signing up for solar as a community group or some such. Is this still worth doing these days, or is the general cost prohibitive vs benefits?

8. wyx087

It's an upfront investment but should pay off, depending on your roof size and orientation. I have had solar since 2015, it can only save when the sun is shining and you actively maximise your usage during that time. It gets tiresome doing things manually.

I think ability to store energy, eg. home battery storage. will pay off quicker. Currently cheapest you can get is 12p/kWh Octopus Go off-peak and 44p/kWh other times. That's a difference of 33p/kWh if shift all your day time electricity to this cheap period. So if it takes £5k to install a home battery, it'll only need 15,151 kWh of time-shifted electricity, about 5 years to payback for a slightly tech focused household (9-10 kWh per day).

Combine the 2 and you'd be laughing.

ModSquid likes this.
  9. koola

koola Minimodder

Meanwhile in China where I live, only paid less than 300 GBP for the whole year including gas. Family of 5 using as much as we want whenever we want. The UK is in a managed decline imo, sad.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm not going to argue against the UK's decline, but... China's approach ain't exactly sustainable.

Byron C and wyx087 like this.
  11. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You've also got a despot dictator who is enslaving the Uyghur community in concentration camps and has no care for the environment. swings and roundabouts.

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

TBH I think I may have panicked a little, helped on by the f-ing media. I doubled my Eon payments, and now even though I am at £1300 in credit they won't let me reduce them ffs.

I don't think it was just me either. Mum now has £1700 in credit, and I was speaking to tree the other day and he said his was far less than he thought it would be too. Not like the media likes to scare any one of course /roll eyes. I might have to phone Eon tbh. I really don't want to keep piling up money for them to make interest on.

13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c.../claim-back-credit-from-your-energy-supplier/

Vault-Tec likes this.
  14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Thanks. They won't give me back a big chunk of it, 'cause it was when the govt were giving me £60 a month. I usually put £50 in. Mostly because I am only here half of the time. Before I knew about the £60 I doubled it to £100, and then of course I was paying over three times as much in total. Problem is when I went to reduce it the other day it would only let me increase it. Which is annoying. I don't want anything back out of there (I am happy to have lots of credit, tis good for the anxiety that) but yeah at the same time I don't need to keep paying £100. I will phone them tomorrow.

15. wyx087

Yeah, there's something strange going on. Government figures doesn't add up to my real world use, it's not as expensive as it had been made out.

Currently £11 in credit. Over last 9 months with Octopus, mid June to mid March, I've paid a bit less than £1500. There's no chance I'm going to get close to £2000 come 1 year mark, now that winter is almost over.

We run 2 EV's, house idle at over 250w due to smart stuff. (although do have a small solar PV) House kept at comfortable 19c with smart thermostat whenever we are home.

I can highly recommend Octopus. I can set any monthly payment amount I prefer. Due to some problem with my smart meter, I didn't get billing for 3 months until they got all the backdated readings. Comms were great and the problem were sorted in a timely manner.

16. koola

koola Minimodder

Yes, there's air pollution and some days are worse than others, but on the whole it's not bad. I find there's more benefits here than there are negatives including that one. If anyone has lived in Hong Kong, there's also air pollution, but the difference being it's a costal city and the prevailing winds blow most of the pollution out over the south china sea.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Two million deaths a year. Two million deaths a year. Directly attributable to air pollution. And that's "not bad?"

China was literally barricading people in their homes over COVID, which over the last three-and-a-bit years has killed nearly seven million people globally... or roughly the same number as have died from air pollution in China alone over the same period.

"Not bad."

Mr_Mistoffelees and keef247 like this.
  18. keef247

keef247 Modder

BUT BUT BUT He gets to rinse electric for FA a year with zero fecks? Ignorance is bliss I guess lol

Mr_Mistoffelees and MLyons like this.
  19. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

There’s an outcry in the UK, when one child dies from conditions attributable to air pollution.

“Not bad” indeed…

keef247 likes this.
  20. keef247

keef247 Modder

but dem cheap electric prices doe m9!

Doesn't matter if you die earlier as that works out less expensive to live and feck everyone else right!?

Last edited: 23 Mar 2023
    Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
Tags: