1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Energy prices, what's your plan?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by ElThomsono, 30 Aug 2022.

1. koola

koola Minimodder

I don't think it works that way given the energy companies are private entities beholden to shareholders who reap the most profits. Token investments to satisfy government lobbing maybe.
    Not true, I moved because my wife is Chinese and wanted to resettle. Just a bonus that we can earn and save more here due to low living costs and cheap energy.

Maybe I can not, but I have to respect the laws and values of the country I reside in. Nothing wrong with that.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

...you're using a VPN.

Unlicensed VPN use in China is literally against the law, and punishable by a fine. It's poorly-enforced, and the last figures I saw suggested upwards of a third of the country uses VPNs illegally, but that isn't the same as it being legal.

3. koola

koola Minimodder

I agree that the UK can do many things right, just on time and within budget maybe not. With better government leadership primarily on energy it could be a powerhouse. Pity Liz Truss didn't get the backing she deserved.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

's that a joke?

5. koola

koola Minimodder

It's legal for me due to work. Many companies have vpn to operate the overseas markets

6. koola

koola Minimodder

Joke about what? I thought she had a good low tax, high growth approach and with substantial investment into North Sea energy for that energy security.

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I mean… it’s not like she crashed the economy plunging even more people further into destitution, drove up mortgage prices by hundreds and hundreds each month, and left a legacy that the most vulnerable and least well off will be paying off for over a decade.

Oh wait, she did, didn’t she?

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  8. Zak33

Zak33 Staff Lover of bit-tech Administrator

I know when I am being trolled. Don't feed the trolls. Over n out

9. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I mean that's been a problem pre truss to be fair.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Her ideas were at least something, the corporations running financial markets being a load of sketchy gits are not something you can wholly control, the ability for them to find loop holes and sketchy vehicles to maximize their profits will be their downfall, it is still imminent, with rising rates even more bank failures are looking likely, placing the whole world market into disarray, it's going to get worse, hope you preppers have got your bunker ready :D

Certainly my mortgage rising by 500/month is not joyful, I've have had to cut back on the Coke and Hookers, no more threesomes. :p :D

11. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

She got what she deserved. You can't take on the responsibility of Prime Minister, then go at the job like a bull in a china shop, with a rocket up it's arse. She comprehensively failed to properly consider the potential consequences of her actions.

keef247 likes this.
  12. koola

koola Minimodder

She was changing the system that has been broken for a long time. The main issue was she was too quick too fast. What you have got now is even worse, with the high tax, big government and no energy security. Here in China, my tax has been cut and talent cash incentives were awarded. This is the kind of things the UK should be doing, but you are spending like 6 million a day on economic refugees.

13. koola

koola Minimodder

Too quick too fast, but her plans were at least conservative and forward thinking.

14. koola

koola Minimodder

This current government is just making the situation worse and hastening the demise of the financial sector. I'm all in Bitcoin and diversified across precious metals.

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Ok, now you really are trolling.

She wasn’t moving too quick too fast, she was blindly following a half-baked plan from some right-wing think tank that was completely unsustainable. Like Tory governments that went before, and have come after, they needlessly inflicted untold economic damage to people in this country while enriching their friends and allies.

But by all means, please enjoy your cheap energy (despite the literal cost in human lives), your low tax, your wholly sustainable crypto investments, and your authoritarian genocidal government.

keef247 likes this.
  16. koola

koola Minimodder

Who's trolling, this is a serious talking thread right?

We have differing points, yes.

Change is sometimes hard to except, especially when it cuts away from the norm and that's exactly what she tried to do. Her party was ultimately responsible for not backing her 100% and every politician looking out for their own interests, not the countries.

I sense a holier than thou attitude from you. Need I not remind you that the west outsourced their manufacturing to China and the wider SEA along with plastic rubbish so it goes hand in hand with air pollution unfortunately. No government is perfect, but my point is China has its citizens economic interests at heart and that is plain to see and feel here. I guess it's a long cold wait until the next general election where the other side will be voted in and the same old same old. I'm a bit cynical yes.

17. Gareth Halfacree

No they weren't, they were uncosted, reactionary, populist nonsense. Which is why she's not PM any more.

Ah, another of China's laws you're flouting. So much for respecting national laws and customs, eh?

No wonder you need a VPN!

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  18. koola

koola Minimodder

You are amusing. Shanghai already passed law that states it's legal to own Bitcoin. it's not legal to use as tender and I don't.

19. Gareth Halfacree

That wasn't my understanding of the law - I understood it outlaws any cryptocurrency transactions, including buying Bitcoin - but I will defer to your local knowledge on this one. (Mostly 'cos I'm on my phone eating lunch and my desire to deep-dive in DuckDuckGo is limited!)

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Of course it does, you only need to ask the Uyghurs. I’m sure they’ll agree that the genocide being committed against them clearly demonstrates that the Chinese state truly does have the interests of all its citizens at heart. How much more clearly can you demonstrate that interest than committing genocide against those very citizens?

And forgive me for not being bothered in the slightest if an apologist for a genocidal regime thinks I come off as “holier than tho”. You’re goddamn right I do.

Mr_Mistoffelees and MLyons like this.
Tags: