1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Very nice, but I don't believe for a second it's your last...

Last edited: 25 May 2023
    perplekks45, adidan and Byron C like this.
  2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Nice. Could do with a reliable cleanup company right now; my mother's selling up and downsizing, and she's got a ton of stuff to clear...

adidan likes this.
  3. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

If only I was closer mate,

adidan and Byron C like this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yup, sadly it is. Mum had fake grass fitted at the end of last year, and I had such a ball ache covering up all of the concrete 5 times I have taken the stand apart and put it in the recycling bin.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

We could have done with @Weekly_Estimate 's services when we cleared out the tenants mess.

Mind you, I quite like going to the tip. :grin:

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

You like the Montana stuff? I tend to go for Kobra but that last finish of yours does indeed look half decent. What do you lacquer it with and is there a matt equivalent?

Good luck indeed with the new enterprise, sir! But don't you let it interfere with game time now - I've just got a new disk to put Citizen onto and I hope to be seeing you in the Verse, remember? As soon as I get time to install the damn thing...

7. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Thank you! I absolutely do remember! Which I didn’t remember when I sold my gpu which is the only thing I’m now lacking to play in the verse! I’m sure I’ll be back soonish? I’ll keep you updated!

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  8. Vault-Tec

I use Kobra a lot. However, colours depend on how bad the over spray is. I mix and match *a lot* as they are all acrylics.

I always, but always, use Kobra clear. they do it in flat and gloss.

[​IMG]

But, due to this being all acrylics I have had to work out a method over the years. It is absolutely nothing like the method you would use with 2k, it was all about adapting.

Firstly, NEVER use panel wipe/thinners etc on it. It will take it clean off, as these paints are in a "nitro" base AKA acetone. Literally melted plastic in acetone. So acetone will take it straight off. Even alcohol will damage it. So, get your part prepped, then clean with hot soapy water. Best degreaser there is.

I then wipe over everything with 99% iso, and then go around with a tack cloth. Those are cheap.

Get your primer down. I usually always use etch, as I don't remove all of the old finish unless I have to, but sometimes have to go all the way down to remove a chip or scratch/gouge.

Then wet sand back the primer, again clean with hot soapy water. Then put your base down. I have never found a gloss acrylic, they are all flat or satin. You will get spitting. The nozzles are crap. So, get one heavy coat down (it is anti sag, and will even off, very clever) then let that set for 24 hours. Then, and this is the biggest and best trick I ever learned on it, brillo pad. Overspray is absolutely atrocious on acrylic. You don't even need to wet sand it, just go over it with a brillo pad every coat. You will hear the sound change from rough to a nice smooth glide, that is when you know it is good. Good thing about brillo pad? soap filled, and that soap removes any grease. Wash it down again in hot soapy water, rinse and repeat. I wet "sanded" mine about 5 times between coats. I wet sanded it properly with P1000 after the first colour coat, to remove all drips and spits. You don't need to go harsh after that.

You will always need to learn by each can and the nozzle how close to paint. Because if I had done the normal 12" on this? I would have peppered it with dry over spray. So, I had to go in much closer.

Edit. Don't ever dry sand acrylic. It will just get sticky and gum up the paper. Hence, always wet on acrylic.

Last edited: 26 May 2023
    ModSquid likes this.
  9. Vault-Tec

ModSquid likes this.
  10. keef247

keef247 Modder

I would say I'm impressed... But you failed to get any of the patio, amateur!

Does look banging though :naughty:

On another note... Got myself a 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro XT with the OTT hench heatsink for the price of the same one without the heatsink... Thanks Scan :rock:

Last edited: 26 May 2023
  11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Client event in Paris was a huge success. Most clients buggered off home this morning, the rest is happy without me for the next few days.

My wife arrived today and now we have until Monday lunchtime to enjoy the city.

Arboreal, Pete J, IanW and 3 others like this.
  12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Finally got my replacement RAM, thanks to @MLyons, and I'm back at 32GB. Huzzah!

Won't boot at the XMP profile of 3200-16, for some reason, but works fine at 3000-15 like the stuff it replaced. Good enough for me.

Now to cross my fingers the return gets there OK and I get my refund in good time...

IanW, Arboreal, MLyons and 1 other person like this.
  13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Also, the movers might have let us down on the bulk of the stuff...

tv.jpg

...but at least I've got my TV!

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

timewarp

15. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

So glad I got this when I saw it:

[​IMG]

May the Schwartz be with you!

IanW, Byron C, goldstar0011 and 2 others like this.
  16. Gareth Halfacree

Another minor win today: my ancient Dell 1250c (a Xerox Phaser 6000B in Dell livery, really) colour laser's been playing up. Ran out of the usual 75gsm paper I use and snagged some of the kids' thicker (130gsm, maybe?) art stuff in a pinch - but got *terrible* transfer echo where the fuser hadn't quite fused. Bought some more 75gsm paper, and there's still faint echoing unless you use draft mode.

There's no way to get a replacement fuser these days for less than the cost of a new printer, which'd be about £200 - and I'd have to get shot of all the spare toners I've got (which, to be fair, were all kindly donated by people on 'ere who also had 1250cs that died.)

Had a hunt through the advanced settings in CUPS to see if there was anything that might help - and found a "Paper Type" option, which seems to control either fuser temperature or dwell time (or both.) Stacked the thing full of my 75gsm paper but told it I was using "Lightweight Cardstock"... perfect prints every time, without having to use draft mode.

Now to see how many more years I can get out of the thing - bought over a decade ago for £100 with two full sets of toner!

IanW, Byron C and adidan like this.
  17. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

I’m still rocking a Brother HL1430 I got for free ‘coz someone binned it coz they didn’t realise you could replace the toner. I’ve had it 20+ years now.

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Got a crappy canon jobby but I've kept it for easy scanning and photocopying when I need too.

It does print but I have to do it in dark blue as the black has gone funky. I guess it could be cleaned?

19. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

How does somebody that dim, manage to use a printer at all?

20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Yeah, I wonder if they just get out and leave it standing somewhere when their car runs out of gas?

IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.