1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Actuated panels

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ninjaplease, 31 Mar 2012.

1. ninjaplease

ninjaplease I don't know what I'm doing

Planning a scratch build to do over the summer and one of my friends mentioned actuated panels on some Alienware cases. How impossible would this be to do? My initial thoughts were to somehow install some RC servos, somehow controlled and powered by 3 pin fan connectors on my mobo...

Would that work? I'm open to any ideas or suggestions you may have.

2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I'd use servos and an arduino. You'd be able to toggle the analog output on the arduino from off to on and that way control the servos. Though you would need some beefy servos if you want to move the side panels.

3. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

It would be cool if you could wire a temperature sensor up to the arduino, have it activate the panels and maybe some fans when a certain temperature inside the case is reached.
    I'm not very clued up on arduino tech so whether that's actually possible is a different matter entirely.

4. ninjaplease

Liking it, two of my housemates are electrical engineers and one of them is working with arduino this year so I'll look into it.

5. Tessimm

Tessimm Banned

~~~~~~~~

Oh, that's Great SIR !!

6. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

If you like the idea of manual control at all ( to set the angle etc of the panels or vents ), then a simple servo tester would give you a nice clean knob as the controller ( mounted in the front of the case or what-not )- since servos run from 4.8-6.0 generally, USB power would be perfect, or the 5.5v rail...

Also, you may like these:

http://store.firgelli.com/

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/robot-parts.aspx

EDIT: on reflection, I think a servo and push-rod linkages would be somewhat cheaper than the miniature actuators, cool as they are :lol:

Last edited: 1 Apr 2012
    ninjaplease likes this.
  7. Device Unknown

Device Unknown What's a Dremel?

Arduino's are expensive to use for just something simple like that. Look into a Teensy www.pjrc.com
    14 bucks you get a well..teensy chip that can be used as a LCD driver, fan controller, Servo controller and hundreds of other things. Cheap enough to develop for a single use and forget it.

ninjaplease likes this.
  8. ninjaplease

My wallet prefers using servo testers (which I had no idea even existed) and some el cheapo servos and actuating arms. Would be cool to have an automatic system that worked on heat levels, but knowing me, chances are it'd go wrong.

Before I buy anything though Imma look into the teensy board thing, although being in the UK I'll have to find an alternate supplier.

9. geebles

geebles Own's a Dremel

If you have a friend who has an Arduino dev board, you can just buy the chip (I got one for £3 off ebay) and you can ask to borrow his dev board and swap out the chips, program yours and youre away! Chip can be removed and used as standalone :)
    I advise playing around/finding someone who knows about it to begin with, how much are these servo testers?

10. ninjaplease

Yeah I'll have words with him when I get back (couple weeks probs), it might be something I eventually upgrade to.

Servo testers are £2-£3 on ebay and will be really easy to power from a molex plug. Next step I guess is to come up with a design for the panels themselves...

11. SXRguyinMA

SXRguyinMA What's a Dremel?

12. Archer

Archer Talga Vassternich - Deserve Victory

Thats why you wire/code it in such a way that if anything goes wrong it defaults to fully open ;)

I'll be doing this exact thing on my next build, varying the angle of the panels by water temp, as well as fan speed

13. SXRguyinMA

SXRguyinMA What's a Dremel?

I've got the board layout and coding for the angle/temp part, wouldn't be hard to add in fan control. See my first link in my post above yours :)

14. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Which way would you panel be actuated ? Sliding ? Rotating ? What will the panel weight be ? Depending on that, you'll probably need an high torque servo.

BTW, I like the idea. I'm working on an actuated LCD (in-dash + flip-up) for a media PC project. I'll follow this :)

15. Archer

Archer Talga Vassternich - Deserve Victory

Thanks. I've already got my code actually, and want to actually do the board layout myself as well since I enjoy it and havent done it in ages. If I get stuck I'll be sure to have a peak though :p

16. ninjaplease

I'm still working on the panel design, this is all giving me a lot of confidence though. Would any of you be interested in a little collaborative work?

17. ninjaplease

New post to make this thread look popular..

The design I'm working on at the moment has two closable exhaust grilles (actuated by a sliding grill on the inside face) on the top of the case, with large fans underneath that operate when they open. It also has a row of hinged flaps on each side of the case, near the bottom, that act as inlets.

The idea is that the inlets have a relatively small area, causing an increase in air velocity and a corresponding increase in cooling.

What do y'all think? Sketches and CAD to follow.

18. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I had thought of something similar for a tower design :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fans could be turned ON/OFF individually and automatically depending on the temperature. When a fan is activated, the "fins" in front of it are actuated so that the air flow can exists.

19. ninjaplease

Interesting, how far did you get with the planning? Or is it just a concept?

20. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

Also is that column for mounting the fans or is it a absolutely massive radiator?