1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Actuated panels

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ninjaplease, 31 Mar 2012.

1. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

This is a single 840mm radiator (6x 140mm) from Aqua Computer (Airplex modularity series). This is only a conceptual case, among the others you can fin on my thread (see my sig).

I have an arduino mega dev board and I'd like to have actuated things on my case, but right now I do not have the time to start the project.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

What you want for this are probably going to be linear actuators, rather than "traditional" rotating servos. Think of something like those fancy automatic gates - a piston-like device pushes the panels outwards, thus rotating them on their hinges... Plus, depending on the weight of the material you'll be moving, you'll want to think about how you're going to power this. USB can only supply 500mA per port, and you may need more than that, depending on how many actuators you need and the weight of the material. You could get away with a standard PSU molex for power - the Arduino will accept up to 12v and for anything that requires a lower voltage you can just use the 5v or regulate the 12v pin. I certainly wouldn't plan to use USB from the off; at least have an alternate PSU available when you're building/bench testing - that way you can get an idea of your power requirements.

You don't necessarily *need* an Arduino either - you could probably use something cheaper like the PICAxe. You'll get more support for Arduino though, as every man and his dog seems to have one.

Do you need a Mega? If the only PWM output you're using is the fan control, you can get away with the Uno - that has 6 PWM output pins.

Although it's rather a moot point, as you already have the Mega! :D

3. SXRguyinMA

SXRguyinMA What's a Dremel?

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

So because you've already done it, that means that no one else can offer an opinion or advice?

5. SXRguyinMA

SXRguyinMA What's a Dremel?

Actually that's got nothing to do with it. But re-suggesting things over and over is kinda pointless I even offered up my coding to help out

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Actually, that was everything to do with it, because that's all I was doing. If you've got several different people telling you the same thing, doesn't that seem like it might be a good idea?

Besides, taking ideas & inspiration from others is a great place to start, but learning & doing these things on your own is the part that's really fun.

7. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I got the mega for robotic + FPV purpose :D. Radio controlled vehicule with hacked handycam (remote zoom, pan and tilt, etc.). But it's still in a planning state lol

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Ah, sounds like my little side project... :D

A little tip: save yourself some headaches and get an RC car with an electronic speed controller that uses PWM signals. You'll save yourself an awful lot of headaches with H-bridges, motor drivers, etc... :) Although, if you want to learn that stuff (which I also do, eventually! :)), go for it :)