1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Age of Empires II HD

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by October, 12 Mar 2013.

1. October

October Mariachi Style

Just finished a Portal 2 session there and the Steam news box tells me AoE II is coming! And it'll be pretty!

Quite excited, I've been enjoying III for a good while but I lost so many hours to II, there's something far more satisfying about a proper castle town.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

We're going to play this. I'll buy it soon and we'll have an 8v8 and absolutely just hate each other.

I can't wait.

3. lava

lava Minimodder

'wololololoooooo - start the game already!'

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

AoE:II...

I honestly don't think I should buy it because it will suck every single waking second from life and fill it with building stupidly complex walls.

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I wish it worked for Mac. AoE is pretty much the only game I'd build a Windows machine for.

6. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Ahh, AoE, long time no siege…

But I don't know. To call it “HD” is a bit of a long stretch imo. It's just zoomed out further and the water and fire textures have been replaced (and they look rubbish). The higher resolution fix can easily be done with a simple mod.
    Steam integration is pretty nifty though, but paying €17,09 all that? No thanks. I'll be using AoKHeaven and GameRanger instead.

I've probably spent almost a 1000 hours in AoK, and it's still one of my favorite games of all time - I even own 2 Collector's Edition-thingies - but for that money, I'd expected a bit more effort put in and preferably an actual “renovation” of the game - heck, I'd probably pay top dollar for that.

[Insert obligatory R.I.P. Ensemble Studios](I'm still dreaming of AoE IV and V… :()

7. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

14 quid is pretty steep for very little work on the devs part. Think ill be giving it a miss, pretty sure if I looked hard enough the old school version would be in my room somewhere!

8. October

October Mariachi Style

See I'm not sure I ever actually owned the game before, I think I only ever had it on (ridiculously extended) loan from a friend, in which case that's still pretty cheap for a game I'm definitely gonna spend a looooong time with. Hope they haven't messed with anything other than the graphics...I miss proper walls! Although I must say I didn't really miss not needing mining and wood deposit stations in III, as much sense as they make.

9. Pliqu3011

Imagine how great it would've been if Microsoft had given the source code to the AoEII: Forgotten Empires team and let them do a remake. Now that would've been brilliant.

(or maybe even release it open source… I'll just keep on dreaming…:sigh:)

Burnout21 likes this.
  10. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

14 pounds to buy the HD version or spend a few mintues to find my old discs, anyone know if the HD edition will fix the online multiplayer.

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Have a stack of AoE2 disk's here, as it was one of the few games that hated being copied.. (Home network play).

Hope there will be a patch to allow the original to be upgraded..

12. Pliqu3011

Why would you copy it for home use? You could just pull out the CD as soon as you'd entered the multiplayer screen and put it in another computer, rinse and repeat.

The higher resolution thing can be solved with a mod. I wouldn't hope for a Steam Workshop implementation upgrade for the old version though. :(

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Afraid that wasn't an option back when when it first came out, use to throw a royal fit. Luckily only needed 3 copies. Later on I eventually fixed the issue as our original disc's had started to fail if that's believable. Our AOE rise of rome disc has a burn mark in it's graphics, never been put in a CD-RW drive in it's life!

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I just mounted an ISO once those became commonplace, It was much easier.

15. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

I will actually be buying this for sure, maybe a couple of copies with my sister as she plays it a fair amount ( even if she does only play vs easy ai )

16. Quavr

Quavr Minimodder

I'm not sure whether I'll get it yet, I really want to but I'm struggling to justify the price. I reinstalled AoE II though and I've spent hours and hours on it this week, I'd forgotten how good it is.

17. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

well ill get it for the steam matchmaking, and to get over the stupid fact that my pc struggles to render the game properly ( textures are mostly purple, 3x installs and several online fixed didn't help) lets hope it is the first in a line of steam re-releases

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

So, anyone picked this up yet?

Snagged it last night. Oh the joy. Forgot how completely terrible I was and how much worse I've become. Some practice might be in order before a Bit game!

19. October

October Mariachi Style

I found my old copy of the original and spent a few hours getting my ass completely kicked by it. For some reason if I left teams on random all the cpu players ganged up on me :grr:

Unfortunately the grass was red and the sea purple so I'll definitely have to give the HD version a go when I get paid again.

20. Pliqu3011

I don't know if it'll work for you, but this did the trick for me so maybe it's worth a try:
    -Go to the folder with your game executable (in my case age2_x1 for the Conquerors)
    -Create new text file
    -Enter:
    Code:
    taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
    age2_x1.exe
    Start explorer.exe
    (replace age2_x1.exe by EMPIRES2.exe for AoK)
    -Save as <whatever>.bat
    -Create shortcut to bat and always run through this shortcut.
    (-If you have icon OCD (like I do) you can also change icon afterwards)

You can also check out - and this is what I thoroughly recommend you to do - The Forgotten Empires mod for The Conquerors, which isn't only just awesome, but also has a lot of fixes for newer OS's, support for higher screen resolutions etc. for none of your precious monies at all. :)
    Been playing quite a lot of LAN and gameranger games with it lately and it runs beautifully. Can't give it enough praise. :D