News AMD finally makes a profit

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 22 Jan 2010.

1. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

Had an AMD,m now have an Intel. It's all about price/performance, brand loyalty is a bit silly.

2. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Your an intel/nvidia guy? You do realise that AMD are closer to NVIDIA than Intel is?... Intel can't get along with anyone except microsoft and some of their recent decisions seem to be alienating them too

Back on track :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: go Team AMD :)

3. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

I'm happy for AMD and hope those Directx 11 video cards help them make more money.
    Intel has to have good competition.

Yeh I know Intel is better but with the the money I save buying AMD I generally use it for other hardware needs.

Intel Cpus and mobos cost too much. they are the best, by like 1 or 2 FPS in games.

But for bang for buck, I'll go with AMD. The little company with something to prove.

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Once AMD makes a better platform, and makes a chip that rivals the Nehalems, well I'll buy them.

But in the Budget Sector, AMD still wins.

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

If you want cheap and good, go AMD. If you want fast and expensive go Intel.

Either way it's a win win situation.

6. zagortenay

zagortenay What's a Dremel?

Misleading article:
    "So while the company is back in the black, much of its profit is actually Intel’s."

Yeah, Intel is a charity organization and they were so kind to donate 1.25 Bn$ to AMD.

Open your eyes Alex!

7. donovan75

donovan75 What's a Dremel?

I've been an AMD supporter since they released the K6 processor. My current box is a Athlon 64 X2 4200+, along with my laptop having a 3400+, single core. However, my next box is going to be Intel. Why? Compatibility. One of my big plans is to build a box that can triple boot OSX/Windows/Linux using the EFI-X dongle.

Unfortunately, support for AMD processors is presently not available. :-( When I will be able to build this box is unknown. Hopefully sometime this year. This decision took me a while to make. I've always supported AMD, but when it comes to performance, Intel is always in the lead.

Howerver, AMD has made some major progress. I remember the days of Socket 7 and Super 7, where they had to use what Intel provided them. Then they licensed DEC Alpha's EV6 protocol, and used it with Slot-A. I knew from that point on, AMD would have it's own platform. It took a while for it to start, but now, many years later, they have many manufacturers under their wing.

Intel has also made some great progress. The i7 is simply amazing... And now there's the i9? Not to mention, I've read about the experimental 48 core chip, and even and 80 core chip, and heard the words "hundreds of cores". There is no question that they have products already developed that are just in preparation for release. I will be lucky if I can afford a simple Core 2 Quad at this point in time! :)

I am glad that AMD has finally made a profit. It's about time! They've been in the hole for a while... The purchase of ATI did put them in the whole, but they are beginning to profit from it. It's just a matter of time before they have a true competing product for the i7. But I don't expect Intel to just sit and do nothing! They will always have something up their sleeve.

Which is good. It keeps AMD on their toes! And visa versa. Competition is always a good thing. I'll always support AMD when I'm on a budget, but I want my next box to be Intel, primarily for compatibility and performance reasons. I'm not giving up on AMD, or becoming an Intel-fan boy, or a AMD-fan boy, I just want a good overall CPU that performs well.

Tags: Add Tags