1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Blimey, it's been a while... upgrade after 10 years!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pac-man, 11 Apr 2020.

1. pac-man

pac-man What's a Dremel?

Hi folks, haven't been on these forums for close to a decade, how time flies! In any case, it's time for a well overdue upgrade. The final straw for me was playing Red Dead 2 which would lag at times (presumably because of my ancient CPU), then just today, my PC shuts off! Try to turn it back on, fault beeps coming from my PSU. The PSU lasted me for 10 years so not surprised that it's packed up. A sign to rehaul the rig and if replacing the PSU, might as well do the mobo/cpu/ram too.

In short, I'm looking to upgrade my mobo/CPU/CPU heatsink/RAM/PSU and budget is £800-1k. PC will be used solely for gaming on a 43 inch 4k TV. I'm not intending on overclocking the CPU or tweaking things, just want to plug and play.

Current setup:
    CPU: i7 950
    Mobo: gigabyte x58a-ud3r
    RAM: 8GB G skill Ripjaws
    GFX: was a GTX 580 which I upgraded to an EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC at the end of 2018
    PSU: Enermax Infiniti 720W

Any recommendations on an upgrade to compliment the 1070 SC? I've been out of the rig building game for a while so thought I'd ask here first. From doing some research I'm hearing a lot of cpu debate between the 3700x and i7-9700k?

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

If it's just for gaming... not sure there's much point spending more than you need to on a cpu and going beyond the Ryzen 3600.

But, as you asked... this is what £800ish gets you right now - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dbVPhg

Obv dropping down a peg or 2 on the cpu side of things frees up budget for a better/different board... psu... a new ssd or... y'know...

EDIT: For example - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qmWLq3

Last edited: 11 Apr 2020
    Bloody_Pete likes this.
  3. pac-man

pac-man What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply, makes sense. I'm going to stick to the 3600 and invest in other components. Regarding the mobo, I'm torn between these two b450 mobos - tomahawk max vs. carbon pro. Price difference is about £20, in-built bluetooth and wifi in the carbon seems cool but not exactly a game changer. Heard there were bios issues with the carbon and Ryzen 3 series CPUs, assuming that's all been ironed out now?

4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

If it's the MAX variant of the Pro carbon it'll be Ryzen 3000 ready ... older non-MAX may need a BIOS update (which can I believe be done without a CPU present). As a Tomahawk max owner, I think i'd probably go for the pro carbon max (not that there's anything I really dislike about the Tomahawk, but the wifi and bluetooth is something I could now use). As usual with many boards, you lose some pcie and/or SATA sockets when using m2 drives.

Also think I'd seriously consider an 8 core Ryzen instead of the 3600, as you upgrade infrequently. The six core I don't think will age as well as the 8 cores and higher. Don't skimp on PSU, so something decent like RedFlames suggestion, same with RAM as it's probably not worth paying silly amounts of money for slightly lower latency, and for cooling - you need to see what will fit in your case before deciding really.