1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Can I combo this RAM together?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nutyy, 11 May 2017.

1. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

Hey folks, long time since I tinkered with parts so I need your help,

I currently have a 4GB (2x2) corsair XMS3 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24 1.50v DDR3 set of ram just lying around.

I'm looking to buy an 8GB set (2x4) from fleabay. It's XMS3 1333MHz, 9-9-9-24 1.5v.

I wanted to put both sets in my friends PC, would they be compatible? They should be right as the only difference is the 1600Mhz will run at 1333 Mhz. There shouldnt be any problems putting two 2gb sticks and two 4gb sticks in my mobo?

Cheers,

2. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

(almost) 100% sure this will be fine. While I can't speak for your particular motherboard, the specs are similar enough to be compatible. Yes, the RAM should just run at the lower speed.

I've had mixed RAM in loads of my systems and not had a problem, though just to be sure I usually put the slower stuff in the first/primary slots.

I've even had boards that take more than the stated capacity for some extra RAM goodness...

3. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

Cool, that's a good idea putting the slowest ram in the primary slot. So even if I don't get the same brand of RAM as long as it matches latency and voltage I should be good?

Cheers for the help

4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

will be fine, just make sure its all at 1333mhz, might get away with a small overclock of 1450 ish mhz, or keep them at 1333 and tighten up the timings

5. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Like others have said so long as you set the speed to be 1333 MHz it should all work quite nicely. I've always found Corsair RAM to be most tolerant for doing this :)