1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Doom 3 VR

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mr Happy, 10 Jan 2021.

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Doom 3 is now available in VR on the Oculus (I think it may support other headsets)

Skip a bit for gameplay!

This plays really well. A few clunky moments during the cinematic's, but other than that a good old VR experience

https://www.doom3quest.com/

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Nice! That's a good step up from previous ports.

In case anyone wondering, previous ports have been: Half Life 1, RTCW, original Doom and Quake. I have HL1 and RTCW on my Quest, plays very well.

Hopefully we'll see more modern games with Quest 2. CoD4 would be epic.

Mr Happy likes this.
  3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I have such complicated feelings about Doom 3. I sort of grew out of having any patience for its horror trappings, and now the slow movement and darkness and jump scares just irritate me. Doom 2016 has shattered the illusion; now I just want to mod Doom 3 to double movement speed, double all weapons damage and demon damage, add the intro music as combat music, and go beserk.

However, I can see how the slow ploddy pace of it makes it an ideal VR candidate.

Paradigm Shifter and Mr Happy like this.
  4. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

doom 3 got much better later on, shame alot folks just gave up on it after an hour or 2 of playing. id really dropped a ball on that and out sourcing quake 4. at the time halo and half-life 2 were the benchmark for story driven fps games and its not really what the core fan base wanted.

still these sidequest ports are pretty decent

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I quite enjoyed Resurrection of Evil, the addon pack for Doom 3... but Doom 3 itself? It started crap, stayed crap, and never felt the slightest bit like an iD game. Thankfully Doom and Doom Eternal are actually good.

...that said, I still hate the parkour nonsense in Doom Eternal. Getting stuck because I keep getting killed I can accept, getting stuck because I've got lost I can accept... getting stuck because I can't make a £$%^ing jump? :grr::wallbash:

Yaka and goldstar0011 like this.
  6. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

the parkour stuff in eternal is one reason i haven't finished it within a few days. i play it the odd hour here and there but doom 2016 had a really nice flow to it

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I legit haven't bothered with Eternal precisely because it just looks like 2016 with loads of extra bloat and gumph. 2016 is a nigh perfect game to me, it doesn't need collectibles, jumping puzzles or exposition. There's beauty in its simplicity.

I do like the look of some of Eternal's set pieces and plot elements, though, if I'm honest. But there's always YouTube for that.