1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GameSpot insider speaks of 'mass resignations'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Dec 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

GameSpot is going down quicker than a vegas ho!!!

3. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Things are never as black and white as they first sound, are they. Oh well - I never used Gamespot or C|net anyway :D

4. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

sounds like a dead site to me, stupid management (thou i never used them i just hate management that screw it up (not that the fault was solely management))

5. adamc

adamc What's a Dremel?

I've never really agreed with gamespot's reviews anyway... however IGN is now becoming less credible also. Bit-tech better start reviewing more Wii games :p

6. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

An innevitable trait to the multitude of cash`in games being produced with real low quality gameplay. Compiled with games reviewers love of cocaine and money and yer ma`s inability to choose a good game unless it has "This is a good game" written on the back of the box.
    Ego`s and sense will clash with the might of the developers. It`s just a pity it results in a lose lose situation for the gamer.

7. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

meh, the whole things just kinda depressing :sigh:

8. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

What the insider says is quite feasible, however it was a colossal mistake to fire him coinciding with the ads for Kane and Lynch all over the site, and take down the video review without talking about it properly. It's like management made the worst decisions possible for about a week... and now imo the company is doomed. Kinda crazy, no one would know about this if it was back when there were just gaming magazines rather than websites.

9. CanadianViking

CanadianViking Beast from the North

Stupid. Just stupid.

Although Gamestop had too many fanboys, so I'm glad they're gone in a way. But when their nest goes down, they might try to migrate. :worried:

10. Major

Major Guest

This is the Kane and Lynch video by the way, he does bash it quite hard actually, I think everyone who would watch the video wouldn't buy the game in a million years, lmao.

11. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

fear not, for it has been foretold that the ban hammer may fall once more

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

"All game reviewers corrupt, useless prima donnas or are some of us OK?"

Come now Joe, you've been a prima donna ever since you completed The Lost Frog on the old BBC back at primary school faster than anyone else. :)

13. Gunblade

Gunblade The Frugal Chef

I have been going to Gamespot for over nine years. Four of that I have been a subscriber it was cheap, and worth it over the next best thing and probably better which is fileplanet's subscription service though their price tag is albeit much heftier.

Jeff Gerstmann was a great reviewer, comedic, and rose to a "celebrity" status for a reason. He was just plain good at what he did. Really pushing newer content for the site like burning questions, podcasts etc. all reviewers on Gamespot have some what of a following. Greg Kasavin was my favorite then following him was Jeff and Jason Ocampo blah blah, anyways. The point here is that every reviewer matters to the community. What happened has been kept under wraps and is full of speculation by everyone on the net. But Jeff did not even get a resounding last words goodbye, thats the main reason why I am up and arms about the matter. My favorite article that really means a lot to me about it all can be found here, and says more than I ever could:

http://www.gamestooge.com/2007/12/01/editorial-rip-journalistic-integrity/

I am also just commenting to say that not only is there the threat of mass resignations C|Net, it is surprising to me that no one has looked at the community portion of the story yet. Want to talk about mass resignation? I have unsubscribed as a paying member of Gamespot. So have a baffling amount of others. The most disgusting part is the forums moderators who do not allow the discussion of Jeff or Gamespot ethic etc. topics in the forums. They lock anything and everything having a hint to do with this whole fiasco. Even in the paying member forums!

The age of Gamespot being my main source for anything gaming especially reviews has come to a grinding halt. Though over the years I only used it for reviews and downloads. For other sites do the news of the gaming industry much better. And over the years I have become a complete PC gamer. So the words of PC Gamer Magazine, and sites like Bit-Tech mattered more to me. It's sad though to depart with something I went to religiously everyday since I was 10! It was part of my child hood Gamespot lol.

14. CardJoe

15. wolff000

wolff000 I am here to steal your secrets.

I never really like gamespot in the first place. since they are owned by a big company that can afford to have a losing site for a little while I doubt they will fold. i think this will eventually blow over people will forget and go back. As far as game reviewers go, I'd say most are corrupt and can't be trusted all that much. There are exceptions and I think Bit-tech is one of them. Penny arcade had a great article on this a couple of days ago. They said that most most reviewers are reviewing the game because they have too not for the sheer enjoyment of playing. Trying to beat a game on a deadline so you can give a review doesn't seem like a good formula. It would get dull grinding away levels just to get to the end. It seems you would miss the fun part with that kind of approach and most games would get repetitive and boring.

16. Major

Major Guest

Only reason I use Gamespot or IGN is when I am buying a game for my brother on the DS Lite, and that's not everyday, maybe once every few weeks.

17. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

u serious?

lol oh god...poor souls.... IMHPO (P=personal), gamespot reviews are biased junk... oooh that was harsh. sorry, cant get any more gentle than that. C|net is ok tho... i used the sites a few times, download some stuff, hardware reviews are "ok"... but Gamespot? come on....

go read bit-tech instead ;)

18. CardJoe

Every game reviewer I know does it for the joy, not under pressure etc. For all but the biggest games, deadlines are fairly lax and, to be honest, Penny Arcade doesn't understand it all that well. They're fine to amuse yourself with but, when it comes down to it, they too are just guys who play a lot of games for free. If you'd seen the type of swag, freebies, incentives and phoney friendships that those guys surround themselves with then you'd think THEY were the corrupt ones. No game reviewer I knew ever got free DS lites etc.

Hell, the most impressive thing I got was a bunch of free T-shirts and, to remain unbiased, I nearly always give those away. Ironically, the only thing that I kept for myself was a Kane and Lynch branded satchel, which broke the week I got it and which I only use because my other bag has the words "THATS THE SECOND BIGGEST MONKEY HEAD I'VE EVER SEEN" written on it in nail varnish.

19. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

let gamespot rot, no lose in the internet game review market. IGN Cheesecake!

20. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags