1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switch Nintendo NX (spec/feature discussion)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Guest-16, 5 Aug 2016.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-x1-processor.html

https://t.co/o44jCVaJQ1

Tegra X1 + some sort of camera function. 256 cored Maxwell vs 320 cored HD4800-series should be a small step forward - more so in efficiency and functional capability than performance with h.265/4K output. It's back to carts as well, so I wonder what format and connectivity? Probably a modified SD card or USB interface.
    Sort of surprised they didn't go x86, but I guess Nintendo has used ARM chips in its 3DS for ages and its new mini-NES, and Nvidia must be giving those chips away now. Marks the first time since the 'cube that Nintendo has not used an IBM/ATI combo.

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Aug 2016
  2. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Not touching it. They pretty much shafted me with the Game Cube and then again with the Wii U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'm not interested in buying it tbh, just interested in the business of hardware.

I had a 'cube for all the Resident Evil games - still got it in fact! LOVED that controller. I then bought a Wii and within 2 months gave it to my brother, who loved it. I grew out of Nintendo's repeat-catalogue tbh.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

The Tegra X1 is a brilliant chip, I've got a Shield AndroidTV box and it rarely feels slow. Everything is nice and smooth, even when it is indexing and transcoding in the background as Plex media server.

But for a future console, shouldn't they be looking at something more modern? The X1 is 2015 technology, we are almost 3/4 way through 2016.

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Even assuming it's the same old Tegra rather than a newer Pascal-toting variant on a smaller process, the Shield Console is no slouch.

As for the camera, it's likely the same (or very similar) to the camera in the Wiimote and WiiU gamepad, for tracking a pair of IR LEDs (the 'sensor bar'), as those were also made by Pixart. Inclusion would make sense purely for backward compatibility.

6. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

I like that the Tegra X1 is pretty much what one would call a 'high-end' ARM SoC, with quad Cortex-A57 64-bit ARMv8 cores, as well as a very respectable GPU. Combined with super-fast access to data stored on these cartridges (presumably mask-ROM-based, with ~32 GB?), it would leave the 3DS behind in the dust, and give the Wii U a run for its money.

Comparisons with the Playstation 4 and XBone (and current refreshes) will have to be made when we have more information, but I'm sure we can make some educated guesses already :)

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Console specs rarely match up performance wise.

Xbox one and ps4 have different gpus yet perform pretty similar.