1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC No audio over HDMI.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by NeiltheDruid, 30 Jan 2014.

1. NeiltheDruid

NeiltheDruid Minimodder

Hi all,

I have built a pc intended for HTPC use. I built it using Windows 8.1, an MSI H87I motherbaord and a i5-4570 which has the HD4600 gpu. I have got everything set up, but I have no audio over HDMI when connected to my TV.

In Windows' playback devices section, there is a entry for HDMI audio but it says "not plugged in". I have tried switching drivers and the usual tricks, but I'm getting nothing. Does anyone have any experience with this? It seems to be a pretty common problem but I can't seem to find answers.

Cheers guys! :thumb:

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

First off - have you got another HDMI cable? Alternatively, it may be to do with the order in which you switch on your devices(!) (honestly!), and I'd advise trying another HDMI socket on the TV, too.

I'm guessing you have uninstalled and re-installed the Intel drivers, too.

If drivers are playing nicely, other cables don't work, and other sockets don't work, try making sure the TV is on before the PC. If that doesn't work, I'll have another think :)

3. NeiltheDruid

NeiltheDruid Minimodder

Thanks for your reply jinq-sea. I figured it out in the wee hours of this morning.

I had been building the pc on my desk (not with the TV connected but a DVI connected monitor). I instead, I tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them with my TV connected. This detected the HDMI audio and installed the driver and I've now got audio.

Put basically, I had to install the graphics/audio driver with the HD TV connected. I would have thought that installing drivers with any monitor would be enough, but oh well.

Thanks for your help mate!

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

No problem - HDMI audio can be a bit funny when it comes to driver installs. AMD graphics cards in HTPCs generally install the audio driver by default, but I've found that the Intel installation can be a little bit, er, tricky!

I'm glad you're sorted :)