1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Oblivion Resurrection

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by NeilJM, 2 Nov 2011.

1. NeilJM

NeilJM What's a Dremel?

Howdy all.

Will my current lack of wallet girth, I've decided to have another bash at Oblivion until I can afford Skyrim. Last time I tried (near release) I couldn't get that far in before the usual gripes (levelling etc.) put me off. I've seen posts and things recently that suggest almost everything that annoyed most people has been fixed in mods.
    I tried googling for "essential oblivion mods" and a few lists came up with unofficial patches, enemy levelling fixes, loot/inventory fixes etc. But mostly they were from 2 or 3 years ago with dead links all over.
    Could any kind soul on here maybe suggest some? I mainly want to fix the levelling enemy thing, stability, and if possible some sort of graphics update patch since I have a pretty beefy system. And anything else recommended would be greatly appreciated.

(2500k/4Gb/6950-2Gb if important.)

2. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Obscuro's Oblivion Overhall is the main one that I've seen recommended.

www.uesp.net has a massive number of resources and when I looked a couple of weeks ago seemed to still mostly have accurate links etc. for the mods.

3. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

4. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Did you come across this list from PC Gamer?

I played through Oblivion again about 6 months ago and used this list as a base, cutting a few out and putting a few in.

Not a bad place to start anyway.

5. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

OOO with all the Graphical Mods, Martys monster pack, few revamped magic mods that add many new spell effects, Better Cities mods, Unique Landscapes mod pack, few more minor ones and it's a brand new game, for the better :)

To get these working you'll need BOSS, OBSE, OBGE, Wyre Bash.
    There's loads of guides for modding Oblivion with walkthroughs and suggested mods, I'd say stick with it, give it a few hours and it's a brilliant game after it all :D

6. NeilJM

NeilJM What's a Dremel?

Rapid response, thanks guys! Looking at the PCG list I think I'll go with OOO, Unofficial patch, natural environments, unique landscapes and qarl's texture pack. Can anyone see any possible conflicts?

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

[​IMG]

I end up doing a few .ini config file tweaks, too - decal lifetime being the most influential on gameplay (the default is 10 seconds, meaning you can see blood vanish off your sword throughout a fight; I up it to 120 seconds.)

I also force AA and AF through the driver, as Oblivion won't let you enable HDR and AA at the same time despite the engine supporting it.

There is no mod available that actually fixes the levelling problem, though, because that's impossible. The game is fundamentally broken, and they knew it when they released it - it's the reason they included a difficulty slider in the options menu, to compensate for the fundamental flaws in the levelling/attributes structure.

edit - there is a conflict in my texture mods that causes many characters to have green-tinted lips. At first I was going to try and troubleshoot it, but now I'm not bothered. Everyone looks leprous, which is kinda cool.

8. Durd

Durd Minimodder

9. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Nehrim overwrites the entire world and story of Oblivion. Run it when you have completed the game again.
    If you are feeling up to the challenge, install FCOM. It is a mix of Francesco's Creatures and Items, Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, Martigen's Monster Mod and a few others. Completely overhauls the leveling and game progression.
    Deadly Reflex is an absolute must. Who can say no to decapitations, wrist cutting, shield bash, finishing moves, HORSE COMBAT, kicks, flips... :rock:
    Natural Environments is a good mod, but getting old. Look at All Natural for a general weather mod, I think it uses part of Natural Environments. All Natural also allows you to see out of windows and have the weather affect the light level inside buildings. Along those lines, there are further mods such as a lightning mod.
    Better Cities is an awesome mod. It completely changes the layout of all the cities, and also makes them open to the world. This means that you can ride a horse through the city gates and through the town!
    Kvatch Rebuilt follows the story of Kvatch after it's destruction - you help repair the city. There is an arena in Kvatch, and you can become the count of Kvatch.

Ahh... so many good mods. Use that PC Gamer list as a basis, and for more graphical mods, see The Oblivion Texture Overhaul
    I have about 300 mods installed. You should definitely use Wrye Bash - it can compress mod plugins into a single bashed 'patch'. It can also automatically solve conflicts. Oblivion is hard limited to 255 plugins, but with Bash I can install as many as I want!

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

There's only one issue with my Oblivion, it loves to crash..badly.

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

just play orc warrior.. you'll steam roll the game- I also quick loaded over and over in the top of the rifts to get a full set of 20% shielding to all my armor pieces..

you could take on the whole town of guards after that easy.. orc have a natural defense to magic.. combine that with high armor and you could run around like a console lover