1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Thanks for the measurements MS. Looks like the fan spacing distance is just about 10mm... it's about 15mm or so on the v2000. Really appreciate your time :)

Personally I like the blue at least in picture, but I'd really wonder what it would look like with my dye behind it. The copper top is cool looking too, a matching SS option would be nice as well imo, but now that I've used the acrylic tops I really like them :D

2. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Not a problem my friend, anytime. The blue XT top would look good in a blue-theme case, but anything else? Imagine how it would look in this project, way out of place. Stainless steel would be slick as well (could be polished, along with the mounting arms for the "chrome" look). I think the APE160 would be a good addition to FrozenFire.. :thumb: Not sure why the shark does not have the 160 grill (must be out of stock). He is going to order again on Monday, you may want to talk to him..

3. Firehed

I would like to get an APE160 for down under there, but it looks like it would be too thick to mount internally in that area since my APE120 fittings would interfere. I'm now very tempted to do a top 120 using the docking module and fan grill, especially as I could replumb the "upper" part of my loop for hopefully much better temps without needing more bulkheads: pumps=Y-bulkhead-cpu-nb-top120-gpu1-gpu2-bulkhead-bottom120.1-bottom120.2-bulkhead-res=bulkheads=pumps
    Adding a 160 would just let me cool the water down a bit more before it comes back to the pumps so I don't think it would benefit me as much. Also, a) much easier to mount and b) the location of the fan would be VERY beneficial to my ambient temps, as I'd have a blowhole right over the graphics cards.

I totally agree, the blue would be way out of place in BN. Clear acrylic would be best for you imo, seeing as you don't really have much visible copper as it is. Of course, you could polish the copper top too, and that would look very nice, kind of a bronze-chrome effect. I don't really have a whole lot of extra funding atm, but I do really like the idea of a third rad somewhere (or quite possibly fourth).

If only they made a docking module for the 160... then it would be easy. I suppose I could always try my hand at making one out of acrylic, however by the looks of it the fittings are right where the fans would go so I'd have to get really creative about it (inside of case | grill/back plate | custom acrylic docking module | APE160 | fan?)

4. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

How about $90 + shipping (estimate shipping at about $7)

I think it will hit unless you put the fans on the outside like you say, but maybe not. I think the only way to tell is to buy and try. Perhaps you can ask Wes if he would send one out with the provisio that if it won't work you could return it. You would still have to pay shipping though. He's pretty easy going so ask him.

Don't work for them as they don't want to pay me $35-50 an hour to hang around the place. Such is the problem when you have a job that pays good...you don't want to work for less than that. :sigh: I have been off work for a while and have been helping them out on getting the right stuff in and what to outsource locally like heavy steel fittings! Seems all the push-fits that A-C uses are also available locally.

But to answer your question all the grills and Evo 240 rads should make it here on this coming up trip. I don't think they will stock tons of them because A-C will be producing some special edition Evo grills for the popular Black Ice series of 240 and 360 radiators. Production units should be here in about 90 days and they will be marketed exclusively in the USA by Sharka Corp.

:worried:
    Since you seem interested in Lian-Li cases I will let you in on a little secret. The prototype unit for a special edition Lian-Li Vxxxx series set of cases is here in So Cal right now. This Lian-Li series of cases is being built from the ground up specifically set up for water cooling :baby: and will be marketed exclusively by a local company. Sorry but I can't tell you who it is till the stuff is in a container on it's way from Lian-Li.

5. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Thanks for the pics on the CompactTube for the Eheim. It looks nice but I think I will stick with the plan of using two Aquastreams as the Aquaero will handle the two pumps and two separate flow meters with some software mods in the AquaSuite. BTW, did you flash your unit to a V4.xx firmware yet?

The Evo 160 unit is the one that A-C puts in their ready to roll Lian-Li cases so I asume it does a pretty decent job of cooling or they would use something else.

What is your take on the docking modules and the external Evo housing for the 240/360 rads? Are these something most people would want to have available here in the USA?

6. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Maybe, but I don't think so because the rumour is that it is a thinner design than the current TwinPlex. But you know how things can change real fast from prototype to production units so we will see when we see. :D

7. modsquad

No..I have not had "juice" running into BN for more than a few hours. The new aquaero software looks very cool..I will get there soon..
    Docking Modules:: A BIG, need-to-stock!! Those stainless plates will enable you to mount a APE 120-240-360 radiator in the top/bottom/middle of your case. A "must-have" in my book.....
    The External mounts are also cool, more alternatives for our AC radiators..The Shark shoud stock them as well IMO..

8. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Well I just wanted to make sure I hadn't gone out on a limb as I told him that a lot of people would probably like those items put in stock. I think they will be coming in on the next shipment especially since I ordered some anyway. :D

9. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Dual post deleted

Last edited: 29 May 2005
  10. modsquad

Great, the more Aqua-Computer gear the Shark stocks the more excited I become. BTW..the APE grills are an integral part of Aqua-Computer's line of radiators, you need them to install the units. Otherwise you have the GUN and no Bullets..

PS:
    A few small changes. No RAID 0 for this project..I will use a 250G drive and a second for storage. I have been using RAID 0 in the machine I am typing @ you with for over a year, no problems at all..In the same breath, I can't say I see any performace advantage with RAID 0..I don't do any video stuff, the only demanding apps I have are for Audio..RAID 0 just compounds the odds of something going wrong..Speaking of Audio, I sold off the sound card I had planned for BN and will go with Lynx Studio The Rolls-Royce of Sound Cards, say what you will, but it gets no better than Lynx..

Last edited: 30 May 2005
  11. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

MS, this project would likely look slick with some XMS xpert. You'd have to do a bit of soldering to change out the blue backed corsair logos and convert the vu-meters to red exclusively though. I just happen to have such ram.... getting any ideas :)?

12. Firehed

I do hope you'll be doing more than playing downloaded MP3s using "The Rolls-Royce of Sound Cards" :D

I agree about RAID0. I'd suggest getting one of the 16MB cache Maxtors if you haven't bought the drives already, I've read the extra cache makes them nearly as responsive as a raptor, and you get five times the storage for the price.

13. lepre

lepre Minimodder

:hehe:

14. modsquad

The Lynx L22 will get a workout with Cubase SX3 and Reason 3.0..
    Thanks for the "heads-up" on the Maxtor HD's.
    I just ordered a Maxtor MaXLine III 300GB drive. A 16MB cache is massive! I had no idea there was such a animal (spending Too much time reading about H20 cooling, I guess)..Thanks Again.. :thumb:

15. Firehed

It's kinda funny, because from what I can see you can't even plug normal speakers into that sound card... you must know what you're doing. Just by an investment like that I'd have to assume you do something with audio for your job. My audio skillz are limited to hooking up speakers with the terminal clamp things (ie, black-to-black, red-to-red) and pushing the play button on my multimedia keyboard :D

Lemme know how you like the drive. I've only heard good things so far but don't own one myself, but I'm itching for space as my just-under-300gb-worth-of-5-misc-drives is near capacity (around 260gb used I think). NCQ+16MB cache=win. I've honestly never been overjoyed with my 36GB raptors unless they're in RAID, because their small platter size with the faster rotational speed only puts them around the same sustained of most 7200rpm drives (HDTach's about the same as my various 80gb drives, their simulated results show that as well, but the 74gb raptor is a good amount faster).

That reminds me... I really should check up on whether people are still having NCQ issues on the A8N-SLI-D (don't worry, shouldn't affect your board). I guess the early IDE drivers sucked and could cause corruption, really just with the maxtor from what I've read, (hopefully only on the drive in question) and I never really found out if the new NF4 IDE drivers fixed it. /did a quick google, guess it's still the ol' "turn off ncq and it should be fine" fix, and from what I've read the 16mb cache is what really adds performance right now. actually hard to tell, I've read mixed things.

Quick shot over to Maxtor's site indicated the MaXLine's are more reliable (but more expensive) than the normal DiamondMax drives. Did you make your decision about the MaXLine around that or did it just happen that way (or is that even accurate)?

Enough about hard drives lol :rolleyes:

16. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

I have a 16mb cache Maxtor Maxline 3. I prefer it to my Raptor, it seems just as fast, with almost quadriple the space. If my motherboard didn't have this screwy issue with the Maxtor as the only HDD, I wouldn't even be using the Raptor. I think I'm going to play around with my 300 later on, maybe if I turn the drive into 1 90GB and 1 200GB patition, it won't give me any issues. The issue is, when the Maxtor is the only drive on the system, after the Windows XP installs first restart, it attempts to load the nVidia raid array, but since there is no array... It loads and loads until i turn it off :confused:

I think the Maxline 3's have a 5 year warranty too, and the other has a 3 year.

17. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

I just built a server with 4 of those Maxtor 300GB drives in a RAID-5 array. It is :jawdrop: . 900GB useable of 16mb cache goodness....

/wipes up drool

18. Firehed

They sound quite worth it then. Puggy, try setting the single drive to be in a JBOD array - it's what I do for one of my drives on the SI3114 controller on my A8N. mj007 you don't happen to have any speed estimates for that do you? The thought is just it's so to die for but aside from money I don't have the space for another four drives (unless I take out a couple, and in any case I don't need 900 gigs of storage that fast with the not-quite-redundancy-protection that raid5 gives)

19. modsquad

The Lynx sound cards use XLR type connects. So does my stereo gear. They sell adaptors for use with other equipment.
    As for the Maxtor's. Once I noticed the price difference on NewEgg, I just did a little quick research. It would seem the MaXLine is the way to go. :thumb: BUT I also created a set-back. The Aqua-Computer APE120 grill I am using to cover the HD area was cutout for Molex power-plugs which the Maxtor does not have. Getting another grill is EZ, the Shark has them in stock, but this is a bad time to get stuff chrome plated. All the biker-boys have my chrome guy very busy. I need to get my hands on the drive and come up with a plan..
    Thanks again for the "heads-up" on the Maxtor "BigCache" HDs..

20. dgkulzer

dgkulzer What's a Dremel?

Actually, there is a problem with the newer Nvidia chipsets and the new Maxtor drives. I read about it on a MSI forum where alot of people were having problems. They said Nvidia was aware of the problem but no fix is out yet. I think I also read a comment or two on the Abit forums. You can go to the DFI, MSI, Abit boards and do a search to get more info.