1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: "Nomad" - A Liquid Cooled, i7/SLI SFF system (CANCELLED)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by shomann, 27 Sep 2009.

1. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

congrats on being my favorite project log. any thing SFF is an instant win in my book.

2. shomann

shomann Minimodder

The I/O panel is part of the motherboard tray for the Lian-li SFF cube cases. It was a simple de-rivet to remove it from the "floor" of the tray. The one you see came from the V350. Here is a link for the V351 tray, which should be very close if not the exact same dimensions:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210&products_id=20966

Would you believe a Heatkiller 3.0 1366 LT with 45 deg fittings? ;)

Wow, I am humbled, especially considering the other fantastic logs here and your own build ideas. Thanks!

3. ednismod

ednismod Minimodder

Yeah, well... it seems Lian-Li is no longer selling it separately. It's even out of stock from known online stores. Good luck on your build though. Great start.

4. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

i believe this is what your looking for? Lian Li Replacement Removable Motherboard Tray - PC-6X

5. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

That happens to be the ATX version... Anyone looking for the mATX version shomann linked, well good luck. It is indeed almost impossible to find. We both got lucky enough to get them right around the same time, and I don't think I've seen them in stock since.

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

DIY SFF with water cooling, all wrapped up in lovely cut aluminum. Looking forward!

7. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Thanks for the interest ;)

As far as the motherboard tray, I think craigbru is right, I haven't seen them in stock since this past spring. If you REALLY want one I suppose you could purchase a used V350 or V351 case, but thats kind of extreme.

Has anyone tried contacting Lian-li direct?

8. shomann

shomann Minimodder

So, I remounted the I/O panel last night. Quite pleased with result. The spacing issue I had with the bottom bulging out has been solved in no small part thanks to the countersinking bit (tools MADE for working with metal are SO much better than making a tool work with metal). Ignore the PCI card leaning in, it wasn't screwed down when I took the pics.

I also got the motherboard mounted which took a bit of time to get started just to get through the sheer paranoia of screwing up ;). The standoffs are screwed directly into the motherboard tray floor. This was done to keep the height of the motherboard as low as possible. I realized that I didn't take pics, but they would have been anticlimactic as I ran out of standoffs!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a few more truly precise pieces, but for the most part, I think its downhill from here. Next up will be the cable holes in the motherboard tray and the radiator side spine cover. With some luck, I might get the rest of the PSU mounts done as well

Starting to look more like a computer eh? Stay tuned!

Last edited: 31 Mar 2011
  9. ednismod

ednismod Minimodder

That's really bad news. I think the only way to acquire is to create it. As to the exact measurement, bending allowances, and proper thickness... this is one tough obstacle for someone like me who's planning to create a new case from scratch on matx form.

Mr Shoman sir, good luck and have a successful build. This is really a great build. :rock:

10. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Thanks for the well wishes :)

I am not sure what you are planning, but you could take a standard ATX tray that you like, leave the 5th PCI port cover in place (perhaps even JB Weld it in place), and then cut the rest of the tray off. That would be the easiest way without being able to find a mATX tray.

The other way would be to buy a used V350/V351. That sounds like a waste, but I think the tray was around $20 by itself anyway.

Good luck!

11. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Reusing mistakes ;)

Well, I got a chance to work on Nomad a bit more last night. I started with the access slots in the motherboard tray for cable pass through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are obviously the unfinished versions ;) I did some filing work last night as well, and will post more detailed pics when that work is finalized.

I also got a chance to recycle a part - the old motherboard tray has become the back of the "spine" of the project. I am thinking about a few ways to dress this area up and provide more airflow. The computer was already strong before this, now its an absolute brute.

[​IMG]

Thanks, more to come soon!

Last edited: 31 Mar 2011
  12. Richh999

Richh999 Small Time Modder

Wooowww. I love SFF builds and I would say this is one.

I had a desgin for a case pretty much similar to this but I had a full atx board and the 2 rads monted at the front and the PSU on the opposite side of the barrier, I'll post the sketchup pics later if you would like to see them..

I ended up modding a SG03 in the end due to ease and I got one cheap as well..

Would an SG03 with a full atx count as a SFF craig? I mean it could be smaller if I used a matx. I may post a build log when uni isn't as busy..

Anyways, Please keep up the good work.. sub'd.

13. Attila

Attila still thinking....

The fit on the I/O's is terrific.
    And the spine looks bulletproof. Will you be using those screws in the finished
    product?
    It's looking good, I'm waiting to see the hinging in place.:thumb:

14. kureshii

kureshii What's a Dremel?

Nice work! I'm thinking of an SFF build myself, also for a watercooled i7 system (but Lynnfield without SLI), I'll keep monitoring this thread for ideas :)

15. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Rads in the front would definitely work, especially for airflow (I had sketchups of rads mounted on every wall of the design at some point or another). I decided that I wanted too many things on the front panel accessible. I think all of us would love to see sketchups, even if they are just really early ideas. I would recommend for comments though to start a thread in the modding section and link it back here - might get a little confusing for someone reading this thread to suddenly see a new design :thumb:

I am SURE craig will chime in, but there as been a recent discussion regarding just what makes a SFF. My definition is end-use based. A gaming SFF computer will be typically be a bit larger than one built as a small HTPC and so on. I think as long as you keep the spirit of trying to fit as much as you can in a small space, it can be considered SFF.

Oh crap, I think someone else has noticed a design modification/flaw. You are not alone oldnewby, I am waiting to see just HOW I am going to hinge my lid. The piano hinge I had in mind was too thin to countersink flush and without lowering the top support I would have run into the lid not closing properly. I will sort it out, or come up with another way to mount it ;)

You should know about bulletproof spines, considering where I got the idea from :naughty: . Lets just say that I think I will be able to stand on this sucker and I am not a small guy.

Thanks!

Nope, all these ideas are copyrighted and you may not use them or even look at them with the thought you MIGHT use them ;). Kidding of course, use away! - Nomad is built on the backs of other good peoples good ideas as it is :)

Thanks for the interest!

16. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Sorry oldnewby, I forgot about the screw question. That type of screw, including color will be in the finished project. I have torn a few up that will need to be replaced. Everything that can be, will be countersunk, though I already know of a few places where the dome style will be needed. They are black because the case will be mostly (and by mostly I mean everything that can be, will be) black, either anodized or powdercoated, or both. :D

Last edited: 16 Oct 2009
  17. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

An SG03 counts as SFF regardless of the hardware you can stuff in one. ATX would be a killer challenge, but nothing is impossible! If you decide to go ahead with the project, I (and many others), will help in any way we can. Also, as a subtle and not so shameless plug, you should post it over at http://forums.losias.net/ as well. We specialize in SFF. :D

18. kureshii

That image worries me a little; If the thing on top is indeed an L-hinge, then if you hinge it at one end it is going to eat into the reservoir bay a little. I hope that's been accounted for, would love to see this idea work out since I've had an L-hinge idea for my build bouncing around in my head for some time now (CAD modelling will have to wait until after my final-year project though).

Anyway, I'm aiming for a 300x300x150mm build, so that's effectively half of your case xD
    I had that build idea even before chancing upon this thread, I swear!

Last edited: 17 Oct 2009
  19. shomann

shomann Minimodder

You are right to be concerned, but there a 20-22mm opening between the radiator side of the spine wall and where the radiator mounts need to be. This space is the intake area of the radiators, and thus is effectively is just open air. The hinge mount of the lid will recess down into this area at the top, at least in the model you are referencing ;)

Nice specs on the size :) The SLI requirement for me meant large PSU and a second Rad. Without those, I think you should be able to achieve that goal. Just be mindful of things like cables and hoses that take up room that you may not have factored into your models.

20. kureshii

I see, it should work out fine then :) Managed to get a CAD model of my scratchbuild idea out, but since I won't be touching it for the next couple few months (I want to work on it slowly after graduation) I won't post them yet. I'll see if there're any ideas from here that I can bring over to it.