1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reformatting Windows

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Stwongbad, 15 Jul 2006.

1. Stwongbad

Stwongbad What's a Dremel?

Well If you look a few threads down i recently had problems with my video card (rest assured I still do) So Now I have to invest in buying a windows XP disk as...i dont have one. I googled for 20 minutes looking for ways that I could reformat without the windows disk as a friend has done it before with me via a system restore (no disk,long story) So is there a way to reformat a computer or at least something close , without the windows disk?

Whats the difference between XP home and Pro because it means an extra 20$ and the difference might be worth it.

2. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

XP home and Pro have different networking options... for some reason if you have home edition some peoples computers simply won't let be accessed over the network to share files. No matter what you do - there might be a fix but many people I know have had this problem.

Now about the first problem (formating without reinstalling windows) - you might have to look up what formatting means because I'm not too sure if you know - it means in short - deleting everything on that partition within the hard drive. So if you have windows on that hard drive then to reinstall windows you will have to have the cd. I could be wrong and you could be reformat within system restore but it doesn't make sence...so the only other option is to phone the friend and ask him :).

Ed

3. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

You could go linux and use WINE for all your windows needs.

Or of course, you could download a copy of XP. Not that I'm suggesting that, but it is still a viable option.

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

You can legally download a XP image if you have a legit key... It's the key you pay, not the CD... Probably you can find a service on the MS site that sends you a CD for a small payment (shipping/administration cost probably)

And matthegamer463, wine isn't an option for all your windows programs...

5. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

I've got a feeling that your wrong there Glider, if you loose the cd you have technically lost the key as well.

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

No, the key (certainly for OEM's) is physically attached to the system (the ugly sticker)... I'm sure about this

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The ONLY proof you have of your license is the sticker which is meant to be attached to your PC (as changing a motherboard is technically breaking the license and you need to buy a new one) so that when you buy a new PC you need a new license.

8. Stwongbad

Could somone explain to me what WINE is? At first I thought he meant I should get drunk off my ass and just forget about the computer.

So you guys are saying my only solution is to buy a new copy of windows? Because I used a friends disk that he gave me on my last reformat/upgrade'd to pro. So if anything the key would be there because i remember typing it in even though i lost it a long time ago. { Sometimes I really understand why people use linux }

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Google a keyfinder program, it'll tell you waht your current key is. Then, using a mates WinXP cd, use your key when it asks you to put it in. Simple.

10. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Wine
    If you used your key, then it's legal, and you should get a CD somewhere and use your key again... If you lost it, use a program to retrieve it from the current install, and reuse it...

If you used your friends key, that's illegal, and I suggest you get a key of your own ASAP (=buy a new one)

But be fair, don't reuse an illegal key...

11. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

Link to "WINE" explanation
    And why do people use linux? Not because of the reason your thinking - "its free". Your totally getting the wrong idea with this. Its not going to be anywhere as such its simply (long story cut short here) unlocking the installation process; by formatting your computer you will loose all information on your hard drive. So when you come to re-installing windows, you will need to enter a new key - that you own. This is not a warez friendly forum so we aren't exactly going to help you find a key off the internet. Therefore you best legal bet is to buy windows xp fresh, or forget about the whole thing and just sick to what you have got.

Ed

12. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Because it does what I want, how I want it, without lots of unneeded stuff... And being free is a nice extra... If it wouldn't be free I'd still get it tough...

13. mattthegamer463

It runs many applications though, except games. Its better than nothing.

14. Glider

Glider /dev/null

But it doesn't do it all as effcient as possible... check my entry in the super pi thread ;)

15. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Or... d/l a keyfinder!!! Perfectly legal.

16. Glider

Glider /dev/null

If it is your key to start... If you punched in an illegal key (which I suspect) that's a whole different story ;)

17. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

Every "keyfinder" I have downloaded has some (fake edit: a lot) of spyware/adware/virus's with it... then again coming to think about it your just about to reinstall windows so what the hell.

18. mattthegamer463

I KNOW THAT, but I'm saying its an alternative. Its got its comprimises, but its possible. I'm not telling him to do that.

19. Stwongbad

Bosewell you should just relax, I don't want to get into a discussion about your pirating ethics as I was given that disk to keep as he had one and didn't plan on using it btw He's system admin for some company so having a windows disk just laying around wasn't a bad excuse coming from him. (it was an WinXP pro upgrade disk)And you know, the reason I commented on people using linux is exactly as glider said as well as have less problems and more reliable (so i hear)
    So i dont like some online vigilante telling me off about how I'm not exactly sure on the legality on said disk. Anymore questions on how I got the disk just ask.

As for downloading a key finder that sounds like a great idea but does it work? As Boswell stated it comes with alot of spyware and viruses but if it works why care. And as for WINE the main reason for this is so i could get my graphics card to work and I could play oblivion....so performance might be an issue. And asking windows to send a CD wouldn't be a bad solution but do you think it'd work?

[Edit] Its actually my fathers friend as I dont know many older people involved with computers that well :hehe:

20. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Like told in this thread, Wine is good for some (not all) programs, but for Games, it really sucks... Cedega is a bit better at emulating games, but 1) it isn't free and 2) it isn't guaranteed to work with every game...

I wouldn't mind you takeing the plunge into Linux, but be informed before you do it, so you can't go complaining afterwards... If you have questions about it, just PM me and I'll do my best to answer them.

About MS supplying an other CD, I'm not sure about that... just call a helpdesk and ask... But I don't see a reason why not... And about the keyfinder, there are some good around (do a forum search, you'll find some)