1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Remove HSF Backplate

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deadpunkdave, 19 Jul 2011.

1. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

Hi all,

I finally got round to returning my Rev 2 P67 board, miraculously I have all the bits but I can't get the backplate from my Gelid Tranquillo off the damned thing. Its attached using thermal pads on the rear of the board.

I've got some citrus-based TIM cleaner to hand and am contemplating giving it a good spray of that but not sure if its wise. Otherwise I guess I'll heat it up with a hair drier and give it another go. Advice as to whether the TIM cleaner is a good plan or any other bright ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Since you're returning the motherboard just use a hairdryer to warm up the pads! When installing a backplate I never use the sticky pads, as long as the padding is there then screwing the heatsink in would be enough to hold it firm.

3. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

The hair drier was taking a bit long so I ended up putting the board under the grill for a couple of minutes. Came off quite easily after that.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Nice! Just so long as no capacitors fell off to arouse suspicions when it's returned! :D