1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Side Panel Modding Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Cochise, 1 Dec 2005.

1. Cochise

Cochise What's a Dremel?

Hi folks. I need some advice. I've got an old handle case that I've done some minor mods to. Nothing fancy, just a window and some lights, a few cool fans. But my other side panel is bare. The colours I've gone with are blue and yellow. Blue lights n fans and yellow cable sleeves and ide cables. I need to know what i need to remove the paint from the panel and what to use to make a stencil?

I'm new to modding so please explain slowly :)

2. ARM

ARM Minimodder

3. The_Dude2040

The_Dude2040 What's a Dremel?

if your stripping paint ry to get some nitromors if you can. it's a thick gloopy stuff stips paint no problem. only problem it strips skin too. my advise never sit in a blob of the stuff. you'll know if you do.

but if you can't get nitromors, then as ARM says use any paint stripper. and if you use and paper a rought grade to get the paint off the thing then a smoother one just to give a nicer finnishes. or use the original paint as the base coat. i think you need something like 800 grit (wet dry paper. avalible from car part places) just to rougth the surface up.

4. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Paint on a case never painted over is so thin a 400 grit sand paper will remove it effectively. Then go up in grits 600-800 after that you'll have bare metal ready for anything you like :thumb:

Edit: Errm! what he said :hehe: :D

5. Hellboy787

Hellboy787 What's a Dremel?

So How about if you wanted to paint anonized alumunuim or something like that?

6. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Anodized can't be painted it's like a chrome process with acid and stuff but there's someone here that does it i think :worried: *looks left and right*

7. pingthepiratehobo

pingthepiratehobo What's a Dremel?

i think he means painting over something that is allready anodised, which is completely possible. or im misreading too

8. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Oops! My bad, i was under the impression that the case was painted :blush:

9. Ener

Ener What's a Dremel?

you can make a stencil out of masking tape and thin card, like a cerial box.
    or you can just use tape

10. pingthepiratehobo

pingthepiratehobo What's a Dremel?

come to think of it, i think the case is painted now too - maybe he's talking about other pieces of aluminum?

11. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

So Coch, is it painted or anodized :hehe:

12. TJK

TJK What's a Dremel?

ok i have bare steel and i spraypainted it, but i always have problems with the paint scratching, even with like a fingernail. Anyway to prevent this?

13. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

you need to use a good primer first

zinc primers are amazing, especialy for filler jobs

slow and steady wins the race in painting, start with a misty coat first let it sit for a min, then start layering it on a little at a time, you will have a nice even shiny coat, and dont forget to wetsand the primer layer. what ever is in your primer will show 10X bigger on your paint, so make sure thats smooth. with the primer base and a well cured paint top (enamal bassed paints are more durable but slower to dry, so be even slower and steadyer) will result in a perfectly shiny and durable top.

and keep in mind, if its a tight fitting part, remember that paint adds alot more then you would think, especialy when done to last.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2005