1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware SilverStone Grandia GD09 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 13 Oct 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I'm sure there's good reason...

But testing this case out with a dinky little mobo and not much else is a bit non typical. Surely buyers of this case are going to be using different gear?

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Some may use discrete graphics cards but most I'd imagine will use ATX or micro-ATX motherboards, neither of which will impact on thermals. As you can't use most standard tower coolers either, I'd imagine the cooler choice would be similar to ours too.

This forms part of a dedicated HTPC test system that we'll be using with other much smaller cases too. The only other dedicated test kit we've got that would fit is our usual mini-ITX test gear. The idea is to focus elusively on HTPC cases, including those that don't allow for discrete graphics cards and are also limited to mini-ITX motherboards so we can build up a set of results across the board for all of them with the same test gear. Otherwise, our only option would be to compare it against gaming-orientated cases. It might seem odd with this particular case but it's only because it's so large!

4. Xir

Xir Modder

I'd actually like to see that, testing this ATX case as a mini ITX HTPC only seems a bit out of place.

The stuff you put into the SilverStone Raven RVZ01 would be nice for comparison.

5. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

We can certainly look at adding those numbers in at some point although we had to draw a line somewhere as to what direction to go with the GD09 - HTPC with discrete graphics capability or an ITX gaming case. the RVZ01 can work as a tower or in horizontal mode but it also uses an SFX PSU so even then it wouldn't be a direct comparison :S Perhaps if we add in numbers for a discrete graphics card too and include these numbers where possible in future that might give you a gaming stance as well as an HTPC stance on these type of cases :)

6. Xir

Xir Modder

I'm probably missing the arguement really.

The RVZ01 needs a SFX PSU, yet you tested it as a gaming rig.
    This one uses an ATX PSU, takes discrete graphics without use of a riser, and eats ATX, but it's a HTPC becaues it's horizontal?

7. Sutura

Sutura What's a Dremel?

No. Being horizontal doesn't have anything to do with it. The whole Grandnia- series from Silverstonetek is branded as HTPC/Desktop by the manifacturer on the first place. As oppose to the Raven-series, which are a brand-extention with completely separate website and support. After all what people actually do with your product is one thing, but let's not forget what the producer had in mind. Grandia is what Silverstone accepts as a reasonable HTPC. If you want to stuff with with high-end hardware and see how it goes- ok, that's your decision. But it's not meant to be. At least that's what I think.

8. holbob

holbob What's a Dremel?

Is this case the same size as the Silverstone GD07/GD08? If so it is amazing value and has excellent cooling performance. My GD07 cost twice as much! They are designed as gaming cases - high and long enough for a deep cpu cooler and long graphics card. I have no idea why you didn't review it as a gaming rig, it seems half assed without a graphics card and atx motherboard in. I've got a Be Quiet PSU, 6 extra cooling fans, a MSI GTX970, a noctua NH-C14 on a MSI GD65 motherboard with a i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5ghz. It's only around 5c hotter than my old Antec P183v3. Fantastic value cases.

9. Xir

Xir Modder

Ah okay. Thx :thumb:

Just wonderng as it looks like it has A LOT of cooling potential.

Tags: Add Tags