1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Spartan browser rumoured for Windows 10 launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 30 Dec 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Would i be right in thinking that means Windows 10 is going to come with 6 versions of a Microsoft browser ?
    Spartan for the desktop in x86 and x64, Spartan for touch in x86 and x64, and IE in x86 and x64.

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

Hopefully they can be removed.

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

It's about time that Microsoft made a greater effort to improve Internet Explorer. That IE lags behind the offerings of much smaller organisations, such as Opera and Mozilla, is to Microsoft's shame.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I think some of it is to shed the bad rep IE has... IE could be the best thing going and people will hate it because 'IE Sucks'... a lack of cross-platform compatibility doesn't help either...

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'm still using IE and never see what's wrong with it.

Every time I give Firefox and chrome a try I always seem to have way more issues so what exactly is wrong with IE, a genuine question, not trying to start a browser war.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

These days? Not all that much. Traditionally? Oh, where to start. One of the biggest problems IE users used to face was that Microsoft, to quote Paul Tomblin, had a tendency to follow standards "in much the same manner that fish follow migrating caribou" - i.e. they might be going in roughly the same direction, but that's more accident than design. Back in the Dark Old Days, you used to have to include chunks of JavaScript in your pages that specifically looked for Internet Explorer and then did something completely different to every other browser, just to make the page render right. Its latest release is far better, but even now lags rivals in HTML5 support. Then there's the security. ActiveX, Microsoft's "hey, we can make our own JavaScript" was a monumental foul-up with more holes than Swiss cheese. Anyone who used Windows 95 onwards will be only too familiar with the regular patches to fix remote code execution vulnerabilities directly caused by Internet Explorer's ActiveX.

But, like I say: these days, there's not all that much wrong with IE. The most recent release works pretty well and includes industry-standard security features, scores 100/100 on the ACID tests, and is pretty nippy to boot. I'm still a Firefox fan (have been ever since it was forked away from Netscape Navigator, still my all-time favourite browser), but I certainly wouldn't judge anyone for using the latest IE instead.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I think that's the only reason they are doing it.
    From what i can tell it seems nothing more than a re-branding exercise with a few licks of paint.

9. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

That's because all that's wrong with IE *now* is it's image - as a browser it's great. What would you propose they do instead?

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I wouldn't propose anything. Tech savvy users probably already know IE isn't as bad as it used to be, non tech savvy users probably didn't know IE wasn't the best browser in days of old in the first place.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And when IE finally stated following standards it caused problems as at thousands of large companies the internal websites relied on the old ways of IE, trapping millions of employees in old IE versions causing massive security and usability issues due to forced use of IE6 way past its best by date. In other words, the transition to newer versions of IE (or alternative browsers) was very far from smooth causing a lot of negative feelings against the IE of old.

12. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Does anyone know if Win 10 will take us back to having a proper desktop OS more like Win 7? I took the time to install Win 8 and now do not feel able to risk wasting more of my life installing what might turn out to be another disaster.

Does anyone also know if OneDrive or whatever it is called can be rejected during install? I really hate what they've done to Win 8.

13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

You mean have a different start menu?
    I find 8/8.1 incredibly similar to 7, but quicker and with a bigger start menu mainly.

14. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

If the start menu is the only thing different in your versions of windows 7 & 8 then you and I are using entirely different versions.

15. GeorgeStorm

There are other differences, like settings pages etc, but for general use I find them very similar, I was very sceptical when I first tried 8, but I've now been using it (now 8.1) for months without any desire to go back.

I spend all of my time on the desktop like I did with 7, just using the start menu when searching for something normally which works in basically the same way.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

In the same basic way that OSX or Linux works ?
    Or the same basic way that a lemon and a lime are the same ?

17. GeorgeStorm

In terms of how it works for the end user.

No idea how it works internally, and nor do I care.

18. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Yessssssss. My Win7.whatever.it.is.now and my Win8.1 ... Are miles apart in terms of what they give me (the end user).

Win8.1 irritates the heck out of me. Win7 works perfectly well. Basically, if Win8.1 worked exactly like win7 but had extra security/privacy features, and was faster, I wouldn't have a problem.

19. GeorgeStorm

Haha, I'd personally recommend giving it another go if you've gone back to W7. Mine feels fairly similar, and I haven't installed any weird addons or anything to make it more like W7.

Obviously the start menu looks very different but it acts the same for me (depends how you used the W7 start menu). The desktop looks basically identical. There's the option for using metro apps obviously, but I don't use any, just use normal desktop applications like I did with W7.

20. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I'd personally recommend everyone give win8.1 a miss.

(Off the top of my head)
    If I left click on the start icon I get the TABLET version of windows splash itself on my screen. Can I change that to the way it worked before? So I left click and get the original start menu. I can start IE from the desktop and get a proper IE started in a window - if a program pops-up IE to show me something, it steals my whole monitor screen (30") and is a ridiculous version of browser that is built for tablets, can I change that?

Can I remove every mention of OneDrive without editing registry or other such deep method?

Can I install win8.1 without a live account? I have since deleted the live account and created a local account.

Can I remove all mentions of the store?

Can I remove all tablet-centric GUI designs?