1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Spartan browser rumoured for Windows 10 launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 30 Dec 2014.

1. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I love 8.1, it makes 7 seem like an antique. I don't know what you have against onedrive either. I find it awesome to get access to my files if I am at someone else house or something, I don't have to carry around usb sticks anymore. If I really want to, I can even sign in with my own account and get my desktop and all setting and everything. It's much like roaming profiles in enterprise environment. Anyway... if you don't want to use it nothing is forcing you to. If you don't want to use a live account nothing is forcing you to, and the quickest way to not be asked to use one is to install Windows without a network connection as it will automatically default to local account... or you can join a domain if you want to set up a network that way, local accounts only for that too. If you don't want to use any 'metro/modern' apps, then change the default programs. Then, all that is left is the new style start screen... which is actually awesome if you take a few minutes to organize it.
    As far as 10 goes, all of the above will still be true, but they brought back the dinky older style start menu. I have no idea at all why people prefer that... but different strokes and all.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Totally dude:

[​IMG]

:p

3. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Cheat.
    But tbf you win!
    :thumb:

(a) No. To me, 8.1 makes 7 look like a traditional valuable OS. YOU should be able to add widgets/apps/themes to mould it into whatever you want. I want a traditional OS with less junk bolted on. Most phones and tablets have been giving 'Metro Shmetro' like GUI features for many years now - that makes me see 8.1 as dated rubbish. You've been sold Surface Pro's tablet OS as the next iteration of a desktop OS.
    (b) I am perfectly happy with using a secure USB stick to share files, or CD/DVD. The more you say about logging into other people's computers using your live account, sharing files, roaming profiles - the more I cringe and worry about security and privacy. I don't think we've arrived at the point where anything you mentioned can be thought of as a safe way to use computers. But, I am a pessimist. Although, you would think the plot to the new Star Wars would be kept in a secure vault rather than on a hackable network, likewise Sony would have a much better idea of network security by now, and Microsoft ... XBox One SDK ... But hey, if you feel safe it's fine!
    (c) I agree. My question is how the heck do I permanently get rid of all mention and integration of OneDrive? I shouldn't have to be forced to see it or have it attached to my OS. I just want a very secure and featureless OS - bring back the good old days of simplicity, and less ports being opened by default.
    (d) I agree, but when I installed I was given the impression that I had to use my hotmail account.
    (e) Thank you! When I install win10 (assuming I do), I will make sure to disconnect LAN lead.
    (f) I will have a look to see what the default browser is, but I'm fairly sure it's already set to IE. It's the way I get the Metro full screen version instead of the normal windowed version at certain times, that does my head in.
    (g) ....... super mega awesome on a tablet. We will not agree.
    (h) if it's not broke ......

Last edited: 31 Dec 2014
  4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Privacy and security concerns maybe.

That seems like a lot of fuss to go to when someone could just install an OS they feel more comfortable using.

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Some quick responses in bold.

Fair enough it might not be for you, but in general I would recommend it to most people.

6. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Lets face it, windows 8.1 is marmite. I like functionality, on my terms. I like intuitive controls and design, but win8.1 feels like a reduced/blurred version of win7 with an ill thought-out decision to bolt on the tablet GUI.

I LOVE MARMITE though. :rock:

7. Dedlite

Dedlite Member

Can I ask - do you (or not) run Windows 8.1 PRO? My machine goes straight to the desktop, and I never see Metro unless I ask it to (very rarely).

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Wow :eeek:
    So much quote, such a small question. ;)