Storage SSD choice. (another thread)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slizza, 8 Sep 2010.

1. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Been scoping the 96gb vertex drive.
    Only £140 on scan..less on today only.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/96GB...ead-235MB-s-Write-170MB-s-64MB-Cache-17K-IOPS

There is the 64gb crucial real ssd to think about too though at a reasonable price tag..
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/64GB...-SATA3-6Gbps-25-SSD-Read-355MB-s-Write-70MB-s

I'm a bit torn, not convinced the faster speed/newer controller of the Crucial drive makes up for its smaller capacity.
    As my main pc uses are gaming and watching movies/surfing the net and the odd bit of video transcoding, will i even notice the difference?
    Would like to have at least a couple of big games installed on the ssd at any given time.
    Thoughts please.

Thanks.

2. dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused generic babble ->

I think you've answered your own question, if you want 2 modern games installed then personally i'd go with the bigger drive. It's still fast and if you're use to a hdd then it'll be a breath of fresh air.

3. stevenrlp

stevenrlp What's a Dremel?

4. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

The original vertexes are pretty solid drives with an excellent track record, but they're old tech compared to either the C300s or SF based drives... ...& indeed were superseded by the Vertex Turbo (the faster 120GB version of the latter being my original entry point into SSDs).

Personally, though, if i had a ~£150 max budget (& no SSDs) would be more tempted with the Vertex than the 64GB C300 + foolish highpoint card*, but would really consider waiting until i had the cash together for a pair of 60GB V2s/F100s (SF based) SSDs to stick in a R0 array since that would give far better performance than either of the options you're looking at here (or a single 120GB V2/F100 or 128GB C300).

[*this is the major problem here as the foolish highpoint card is a cheap (~£40) option - something good would be lots of money - but it's not raid enabled, you can only put a single 6Gb/s SSD on it without bandwidth limiting (making it money down the drain if you needed a 2nd SSD as you'd then have to buy a better card) & it needs a 2.0 pcie slot which will almost certainly be a 16x one... ...not that a decent card wouldn't also need to use a 2.0 slot, but if you can stick more SSDs on it then it's clearly more advantageous.]

That, however, increases the budget to ~£220 &, whilst my consideration would come out with this actually being the best option, only you can decide whether SSDs are worth that much to you at this point in time - though of course you 'could' buy a single SF SSD now & add a 2nd later... ...but that of course would involve having to reinstall/backup & restore everything when you add the 2nd one in.

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

6. stevenrlp

stevenrlp What's a Dremel?

Oh now you tell me after I have ordered so many things lol what a waste of money
    How do I go about getting free delivery from them?