1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Undeleting a .doc

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leesy1, 16 Oct 2010.

1. Leesy1

Leesy1 What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone. One friend has been doing her assignment in word and for some reason it has got deleted. Is there anyway of recovering the .doc file?. If so any help or programs would bve appreciated.

Lee

2. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

Has the text got deleted from the document, or has the document itself been deleted?

I'm assuming its the document... There are lots of programs to undelete files, but i can't remember any good free ones - i've used RecoverMyFiles before and it did the job, although took a long time to scan the drive.

In the future, if she uses dropbox, and saves her work in that, it backs up any files and allows you to undelete them easily. (as well as being an amazingly useful app)

3. brighty22

brighty22 What's a Dremel?

what will probably ensue is a plethora of program recommendations... but the first thing to do is STOP USING THAT COMPUTER. just leave it.. don't even shut it down. i'd recommend recuva :)

4. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

thats the first thing i was gona say in my post, then went looking for free file recovery programs and completely forgot.
    yeh... STOP USING THAT COMPUTER.

5. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

7. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You know guys, under Vista and Win7 you can go back in time (or just view) on a file, folder, drive or system.

1- Go to the folder where you had your Word document
    2- Right-click on it, and select Properties
    3- Now, go to the Preview Version tab.
    4- From there you can see a list of previous version that Windows has saved. Pick the last one, and click on Open.

Windows creates a backup point, every now and then, when you install a program, and when you install an update.

9. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Be careful of this restore point thing though as, if the limit's set too high, windows tends to take up over 10 gigs with these backups.

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

True, also a killer, is defrgamenting a system with a non-Win7/Vista ready software or outside of Windows, where Windows will think that the restore data are all gone, and make a new one.
    The way it works is that only bits that are changed or a file saved, and doesn't contain data header, so a defrag tool can easily think that it's fragmented data, and move it. Microsoft approach is interesting, as yes it's a big drawback, but it's a HUGE space saving approach. I mean just imagine duplicating all your files twice on your computer, even, let's assume, you compress them... holy crap that will big... and considering that Windows thing can go far behind in time.. ouch. Sure you can set it to only considered modified files, but still. Maybe the day when we will have several ExaByte HDD's we can afford this, but that's not today.

11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

So the file itself got deleted. I know it sounds like a daft question, but is the file still in the recycle bin, or did it just disappear altogether?

12. storm_technology

storm_technology What's a Dremel?

You'll probally have to look at something along the lines of Disk Doctor to recover the file

13. wolfy

wolfy What's a Dremel?

i know it sounds stupid, but u checked recycle bin? or if its just moved? try searching ur hdd

14. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

Good luck recovering the document. This sort of problem strikes me as a very 1990s type of problem. Who keeps files like this locally any more? Only people working with large video files would have any reason to. For anything else, it's just asking for trouble.

I haven't had any word processing/spreadsheet software installed on any PC for years. Google Docs is the solution.

- No need to pay for any software or even have free software cluttering up your disk.
    - Automatic backups.
    - Can be accessed from any machine in the world.

I realise sometimes you need more features than Google Docs can provide but for most people, most of the time, it is plenty.

15. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Fair point, but the OP didn't ask for this mate.

Back on Topic: Good luck recovering the files.

16. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

yeah.....

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'm using PhotoRec at the moment as I have a hdd with a messed up OS partition and it's found loads of files so far. Many thanks for the link, Dae314 :thumb:

18. allan29t

allan29t What's a Dremel?

I use Recuva software and is good.And free.

19. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

you want to use another program to get recuva and boot from a live cd

becasue your computer constantly writes and overwrites files

your computer never deletes a file it just flags the file as availible space and it gets overwritten

20. Snaver

Snaver What is a dremel..

Check the recycle bin :p