1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Untitled Nano-Box

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jonoc, 25 Jun 2004.

1. jonoc

jonoc What's a Dremel?

These are a couple of shots of my case. This is my first mod and I can't even test it for at least another month. Bad timing for me eh? Either way I like it. As you can see there is a mock-up of the board to the right.
    [​IMG]
    A different angle...
    [​IMG]

A shot showing the inside of the case. Empty for now!
    [​IMG]

A birds-eye view. The dimensions at the largest points are 6"x6.75"
    [​IMG]

A close-up of the design on the top.
    [​IMG]

These were the other two options for the top design.
    [​IMG]

I'm wondering about cooling. I originally wanted a 92mm or 120mm right smack on top. That's not possible now because I opted for a design instead. I plan to have a 2.5" hard drive on the bottom layer and the board on top of that. This box did not intend to house an optical drive, I was going to use a firewire one. Anyone have any ideas for cooling? I know a the CPU doesn't create THAT much heat but I'd like to have a nice quiet fan to keep the temp fairly low.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited: 26 Jun 2004
  2. stoned penguin

stoned penguin What's a Dremel?

dead pics

3. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

Yeah, no pictures..... :( :sigh:

4. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Fix them pix!

5. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

:hehe:

6. jonoc

jonoc What's a Dremel?

Sorry guys. Can someone suggest a good place to store my pics? Right now they are on Yahoo photos. I'm going to try photo bucket next. I'm workin' on it!

7. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

www.uploadit.org, or as you've said photobucket, i find the second one better though. :) :D

8. jonoc

jonoc What's a Dremel?

Hopefully you should be able to see the pictures above now. If not, please let me know. Photobucket is up and running.

Thanks for your patience everyone.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2004
  9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

They're good for me.

Looks interesting. That's one of those via midget-boards right? I'd kinda like to do something with one of them... but I can't afford it right now. For the power you're getting... they're expensive! Tiny though... that's what you're really paying for.

10. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 What's a Dremel?

That looks pretty good, but you need to look into some better JPEG compression. The arifacting is horrible in those shots.

As for your cooling question, you could still have a 120mm on the top, just do it ZapWizard style!

[​IMG]

Basically, you just use risers to bring whatever (in this case, acrylic) away from the base a few centimeters. I don't think that you can use watercooling in that small of a computer, so this might be the way to go.

- tf

11. jonoc

jonoc What's a Dremel?

hacker:

I think that could actually work nicely! You are talking about an outflow fan right? I could make vent holes or whatever all around the base of the case.

12. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 What's a Dremel?

It doesn't have to be 'outflow.' As long as there is space around it, the fan could pull air in or out. However, in your situation, I would say that an outflow fan would be desirable.

Good luck on this case. I hope you can fit everything in :thumb:

- tf

13. Le Tordu

Le Tordu What's a Dremel?

Sorry, Ascii art, but the idea is here : you put your mobo s-side-down, and the fan will blow the heat outside via holes or way you want...

Code:
    -------------------------------------
    |  -------------------------------  |
    |  |  Hard Drive                 |  |
    |  | Up-side-down mobo           |  |
    |  | Fan                         |  |
    ||    <-- air out -->              ||  <-- feet and space for air
    ------------------------------------  <-- botton of the case, cut

14. SWFREE

SWFREE What's a Dremel?

uhm.. the via epia processor doenst get very hot..you could use the place where the cooling should be for a psu . the psu fan could cool both.. uhm.. yeah you would have to look for a psu small enough.and even then you have to resolder some parts to make it more compact.

15. Zogthetroll

Zogthetroll What's a Dremel?

or use a small blower, think 92mm dia. and have it exhaust out the back, would work since it could be placed under the lid like the case fan would have been, but would have rear exhaust and the port would only be about 25mm square. about like This

16. Jedi

Jedi What's a Dremel?

epia psu don't have fans ....

17. SWFREE

SWFREE What's a Dremel?

uhm..hes using a epia psu,
    wheres the problem adding a fan?

18. jonoc

jonoc What's a Dremel?

As far as power is concerned...

I don't have enough details about the board to see how the power situation is going to work out. There are plenty of DC-DC converters like this that will provide enough power, displace little heat, and are very compact. If you look at the picture of the board here you can see in the upper-right corner (go into the download section to get a hi-res version) a proprietary power connector, so i'll just have to wait. Another version of the ITX board has an integrated converter so you plug in a brick, laptop-sytle PSU; that's what I'm hoping for.

About cooling...

This is the way I see it: The connectors need to come out of the back, so the back is pretty much out of the question. As mentioned above (1) I could line a 92mm or 120mm with the top edge and use some nice stainless steel risers to raise the roof a bit, allowing the flow or (2) do the same thing but on the bottom, flipping the MB upside down; tricky, but managable.

Any other suggestions would be great! Thanks for all the replies!

19. jonoc

jonoc What's a Dremel?

Oh yeah, and the board comes with a noisy fan and a heatsink (usually epoxied to the CPU. I want to ditch the stock fan and just go with one large casefan.