1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hrodwulf666, 11 Sep 2012.

1. Hrodwulf666

Hrodwulf666 Arse about tit master!

Hi Folks, its literally been an age since I posted on this forum, I had a fairly extensive Diversion into the realms of HiFi Building. But now I perceive its time to upgrade my PC as recently my BF3 performance is lacking, Iv'e tried all I can to squeeze more frames at the Highest settings I can manage but I need more and with MOH Warfighter coming out I need to push the envelope.

Here are my current system specs:

EVGA GTX580 1.5gb

EVGA GTX460sc (for Physx)

Intel i7 930 @ 3.80 GHz,

Asus P6X58D-E,

12.00 GB Corsair Vengeance ram,

1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3,

Corsair 850W PSU,

So........

Firstly I was thinking of upgrading my GPU's:

Getting rid of the GTX460sc and replacing it with another GTX580... However I have the 1536MB 384-Bit GDDR5 version. I now see that there is up to 3GB versions... Would it be worth me swapping the existing GTX 580 out for one of those? Is there much improvement in performance over my current one to warrant replacing it with a view to getting another 3gb one later on for SLI

My initial intention was just to get another 1.5GB to replace the GTX460 i'm using for Physx.

What would be your opinion???

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'm suprised to see your struggling for fps with a 580 and a res of 1920x1080, what fps are you getting?

I use a 560ti and a 1920x1200 res and I get 52fps with everything on high, I can't go to ultra because the game doesn't seem to appreciate 1gb of video memory.

3. Hrodwulf666

Thing is a week or so ago it was smooth as butter, all of a sudden though its all a bit jittery. Same with Skyrim on high settings. Was great then all of a sudden. Iv'e installed a bunch of things recently so I got rid of a few other things I don't need and defragged etc no joy. Playing around with the Nvidia settings doesn't really make a difference.

Got all the latest drivers etc. Weird. Quite fancy upgrading anyway, was always my intention to get another GTX580 for sli anyway.

4. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Yeah, the GTX 580 shouldn't struggle at all. If you have recently updated the cards drivers it might be worth dropping back to old drivers. Also might be worth removing the 460 and see what happens.

If you still want an extra 580, see what's available in the marketplace. You should be able to pick up a secondhand one for £160 to £180.

N17 dizzi and Teelzebub like this.
  5. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

Or, if you are just using 580 for gaming, treat yourself to something like a 660Ti, and pay for it out of what you save on electric bill.

6. Hrodwulf666

Did some testes with fraps. On the new maps in BF3 Armored Kill It ranges between 60 and bottom 50's at worst it hit mid 40's a few times. I guess what i'm seeing is the lag as the frame rate drops and increases and it does jump up and down quickly. I guess that's not too bad???

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'd think thats more likely to be server lag possibly caused by other players have a high ping.

8. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

^^^^ this sound like it to me.

But some people are sensitive to large swings in frame rates too e.g. 60 to 45fps.
    I wonder if it is possible to cap frame rates to 50, to limit swings?

This could save you paying for a second card to maintain high frame rates.

David likes this.
  9. Hrodwulf666

Thats me, I'm VERY sensitive to swings in frame rate. How would I cap them????

10. Hrodwulf666

Ok... have found a gtx580 but its the 'superclocked' 1.5 version. I understand that I can run this in SLI with my standard 1.5 but my lower clock version will limit the SC's. Aside from the obvious limits in the SC's clock speed could this have any other repercussions???

11. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

From comments, earlier in thread, if 580 has been ok til recently, I'd be a bit concerned to do all I could to rule out a mobo, or cabling fault, before buying new GPU.