1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What now for the team?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Christopher N. Lew, 6 Jan 2012.

1. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

If CPC magazine and Bit-tech.net are separating, what happens to the Custom PC and bit-tech Folding Team? The current team was created by merging two other teams, without asking the members first. Will this happen again?

2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

If the CPC magazine continues, maybe we'll become "CustomPC" ..... again - and I'll no longer be "another CPC refugee" :D

3. jondi_hanluc

jondi_hanluc Retired Folder

Is this hypothetical? or some news I don't know about?

4. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

5. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Agreed, tbh most the folders are CPC readers/fans anyway.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

7. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

I suspect Stanford would find it difficult if not impossible to separate the teams again. I'm all for continuing as we are, but I'd like to have the chance to comment on any other plans.

8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Unless cpc opens up folding forums i would prefer to remain as bit-tech/cpc together. A joint colaberation with cpc supporting bit-tech team would work but i cant see how cpc could form, organise and help a team of their own without the tech know how of forums. If i got help on folding im more likely to fold for the team that helped than a mag that has a team and reports how its members are doing. Tbh i can see folding disappearing unless someone like james will write something and drop it in from time to time.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2012
  9. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

I vote we stick together, I don't see why CPC can't support Bit-Tech just because the paper pushers are separating them, we're a stronger team together.

J.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2012
  10. saspro

saspro IT monkey

The 2 teams were never merged. Custom PC's team was simply renamed to include Bit-Tech.

The mag is still going to have a folding section so the team will still have a home there.

If bit-tech decide to close this forum I'll simply open a folding forum on my site (like I did when they killed the forums the first time) so we can still share info etc

11. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

This is news to my eyes - clearly the exec-co of dennis feel it is cheaper for them to use free-lancers than their own employee's - there are tangible short term benefits to this i.e. their overheads decrease, I just hope that the freelancers are good - I've been a CPC/BT reader now for less than a year but I know the guys are good crew - so they have some massive boots to fill.

It would have been very humane if they had offered the ex-employee's first dibs at being the freelancers and going self-employed. Which it seems they have.

Anyways I diverge,

We may as well stick as one team - divided we fall, united we stand! The next challenge of course is to convince the folding gods (phoeniciisis sp?) to switch on their farms again ... we were so set to move up a few places!!!

12. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Hi team

I can't officially comment on what Simon and Ben (the new editors of bit and CPC) are planning with the folding coverage in the publications as that's their decision now.

However, I for one do intend to keep folding, although it will be at a reduced capacity for a while until I have found a new home for my farm.

13. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

This is interesting news, hopefully it will be a good arrangement, I can remember the first move when the CPC forums closed down and we all came over here, hopefully the Folding Forum will be left the same and we can continue as we are although I suppose they could remove the CPC references from the sub forum in which case I wouldn't be very happy as its CPC who are the originators of this team...

14. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

I'm going to go wherever CPC go to UNLESS they have no forum for support. I think that just about every folder of the month has praised the support of the community, and they do this for a reason.... It's VERY good.

15. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

+1 to Tatty - The fact that I can put up a post and get help is a massive incentive for me to get into folding. The addictiveness of folding takes over after that :)

16. saspro

saspro IT monkey

There will always be a forum available for the folding team somewhere