1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice 9700k build/upgrade advice.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Headspark, 12 May 2020.

1. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

Hi all,

It's been a very long time since posting last on the forum, but my i5 2500K is due an upgrade (yes I want to play COD!) I was looking for some help as I'm very much out of the loop. I have seen scan have a nice looking bundle, have also configured my own.

Absolute max budget (she will kill me £700) to include CPU, cooler, mobo and memory.
    I will be keeping an 850w PSU, case and 970TI GPU.

Here is what I have found; can you suggest alternative or perhaps help me get the cost down.

My spec £700 all in:
    • 1xASUS STRIX Z390-F GAMING
    • 1xIntel Core i7 9700K, Coffee Lake, 8-Core, 3.6GHz, 4.9GHz Turbo
    • 1xbe quiet! Dark Rock 4 - Quiet Performance Air Cooler
    • 1x16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3000MHz
    Bundle £650:
    • Processor Intel Core i7 9700K "Coffee Lake" Eight Core overclocked to 5.0GHz
    • Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P
    • CPU Cooler be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
    • Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4

2. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

I can get 3200MHz RAM for the £700 from OCUK, but those prices are from Scan.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

As I'm sure you're just about to be told a lot, AMD is currently the way to go, namely a Ryzen 3600 build. The new B550 boards will be out soon so best to wait for that. On top of that now is a bad time to buy anything as Intel 10 series is days away, so wait for that and see how things settle.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Don't buy the 9700k now. It is about to be replaced with a better CPU costing less money. Same goes for the boards, from what I have seen Z490 (much to my amazement) are cheaper. I mean yeah, there are some seriously daft ones, but overall the platform does seem better priced.

I also wouldn't go Intel, but if you are determined to then at least wait.

5. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

I think I’m going to update the thread as I totally ruled out AMD purely because intel has always been better!

I assume it will still work perfectly well with my GPU.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yes it should all work fine. If you are not bothered about upgrading the CPU past the 3950x (16 core 32 thread) in the future then grab the 3600 and a B450 board. Otherwise wait for B550, but the 3600 is the best £ to perf gaming CPU right now.

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'd still wait for the Intel release as its so close it would be silly not to wait!

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

9. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

The obvious advice is to wait at least a month for 10th gen Intel parts to be readily available, or until Ryzen 4000 launches later this year before deciding, especially considering that you have a 9 year old Sandy Bridge build.

Certainly it's best to not get the 9700K when the 10700K should be available in the next few weeks for the same and has hyperthreading, so you'd be getting an 8 core 16 thread CPU for give or take the same money as the 8 core 8 thread 9700K.

AMD is definitely worth a look though again I'd wait for the time being since only X570 (available now) and B550 (launching June 16th) will support Ryzen 4000 series processors going forward (the B450 doesn't have any upgrade path beyond changing CPUs within the 3000 series).

Which way you should go is up to you - an AMD system would most likely be cheaper for more cores but for single core use Intel has a better IPC and is the marginally better option for gaming. Whether it's outright the best way to go isn't so clear cut depending on your use-case but your money will probably get you more by going the AMD route.

The only obvious downside with AMD is that the majority of CPUs don't had an iGPU, so a discreet GPU is a requirement. Obviously you're 970 will be fine but in the unlikely event that it is not, you can't run the system without it (whereas on Intel any CPU that doesn't have an "F" suffix has a built in GPU - I sold my GPU last year but my gaming rig is still usable thanks to the iGPU in my Haswell CPU - not an option on AMD CPUs).

With a £700 budget AMD is probably the better option but it's difficult to be sure until B550 motherboards launch & we have an idea of pricing - I'm seeing reports that it might be a bit more expensive than B450 due to PCI-E 4.0 support but still probably cheaper than Z490 boards will be.