Build Advice Another New Build from a newbie

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dougy_D, 1 Jul 2011.

1. Dougy_D

Dougy_D What's a Dremel?

First off, apologies if this ends up being a duplicate however I thought I had posted a thread but then it disapeared. Waited 20 minutes but still could not locate it.

Anyway, this is my first new build. I currently have an Dell XPS 710 (Q6600/8800GTX) which has done me well for 4 years but now the GFX card has popped, I thought it would be time to venture to my next base. Any advice you can offer would be most appreciated. I have tried to research this as much as possible but with this kind of investment, I don't want to be let down by a bad configuration and/or dodgy PSU.

So here we go:

Budget: Up to £1000

Main uses of intended build: Gaming whilst also performing video editing (I have a Canon HD Camcorder)
    Parts required: Just the Tower
    Previous build information (list details of parts): First self-build. Previously had an XPS 710 for four years but GFX card recently went therefore giving me the nudge to build a new one.
    Monitor resolution: BenQ 24" 1900 v 1200
    Storage requirements: SSD (for Win7 installation + 1GB plus
    Will you be overclocking: Yes but only the processor as everywhere I have read this processor is easy to overclock to 4.4 (first time)
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):USB 3.0 for future proofing.
    Extra information about desired system: The spec I have build is based loosely on the recommended gaming spec.

CPU 3.3GHz Intel Core i5-2500K
    Motherboard Asus P8P67
    Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 XMP
    Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce GTX 460SE
    PSU Corsair HX Series 650 Watt ATX EPS12V
    CPU Cooler Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced CPU Cooler
    Case (UK) Corsair Memory Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T Mid-Tower Case (ATX or mATX)
    Optical drive LG Electronics 22x DVDRW L/S Bare Black + SW
    Storage (HDD) 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3 £40
    Storage (SSD) 64GB Crucial RealSSD C300 £100 (still open for review as may go for 128GB and use extra space for video editing)
    Sound Card Asus Xonar DX
    Network Card Wireless N

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks,
    Dougy_D

2. Dougy_D

Dougy_D What's a Dremel?

*nudge*

3. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Ok there some good choices in there budy and not so good, but thats alright, that gtx 460 isn't a particularly good card, I believe the SE version is a cut down version of the normal gtx 460, also unless that memory is vengeance low profile, you'll have problems with the ram clashing with the heat sink I believe. A couple more things, the sound card is a very very good idea? But do you need it now? Maybe pick one up later? and spend the saved money on a better GPU? Also that SSD, although very good has been superseded by newer models now, which can be had for cheaper and last question, do you need a copy of Windows 7?

Anyway I'd build something like this

[​IMG]

and as for the wireless i have one of these and am very happy with it http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-...FAEW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1309768841&sr=8-6

also remember get 20 posts on this site and you get free delivery with scan :D

4. Dougy_D

Dougy_D What's a Dremel?

Wow, I never knew memory would conflict with the heatsink. Thanks for that. I was more concerned around motherboard/PSU/Case
    I guess Soundcard is probably not important.
    As for GPU, I have alraedy ordered it but it's only a temporary card to slot into the 710 and migrate across. Hopefully get a much more powerful card further down the line.

Another question is, I am looking to source these parts from aria, scan and dabs. Any problems with any of them I should be aware of?

16 to go for free delivery from Scan :)

5. rular

rular What's a Dremel?

solid build. if you can id squeeze in msi twin frozr 560ti instead of your current gfx worth the money