1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcade Cabinet

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bursar, 15 Mar 2003.

1. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Figured I should put this in here rather than hog Arcanums thread :)

Anyway, I've had some free time over the past couple of days so have started bolthing my cab together.

Not too many pics, as constrcution is a bit dull.

But here's one of the frame completed, and with my temporary control panel placed on top:

http://www.philspcmods.com/images/arcade/framecp.jpg

The base is on wheels so I can easily move it around, and the little frame work inside the base will hold the PC steady. I'm going to be stripping the PC down and upgrading parts of it in the not to distant future, so I might bolt it to the base as wellto make it super-steady.

Tomorrow I'll be fitting some more of the external panels and the monitor shelf.

More pics as I take them :)

2. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

So you're gonna be running a system in there just to play games with a friend or something? :eyebrow:
    It's a cool idea, but I think you have a luxury problem ;)

3. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Yeah, there's gonna be a P4 system in there running emulators for arcade games. The control panel that's in the pic has 2 player sticks and buttons, but the final one will have enough for 4 players.

Luxury problem? I wish :) The MDF is cheap enough, and the PC can be used for other things too.

4. Arcana

Arcana What's a Dremel?

Not too shabby...hurry up and get some more pics for us...

What kind of hole saws do you use for the MDF? spade bits or circle saw bits? Just curious.

5. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

Great chance to build a file server inside it so when your not Pacman-ing (if you dont put Pacman on there you will die a slow death!!! Jk Jk!! :p), you can use the p4 for something.

Are you going to put a nice vid card in there since you will only be doing emulator style games, or are you going to make it better and put a nice card for UT 2k3?:clap:

Also, flat pannel or crt?? im assuming you'll prob use an old monitor, but thats just my guess...

6. the_secret

the_secret What's a Dremel?

->or are you going to use a TV? :)

7. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

I did buy a set of spade bits, but when I made the prototype control panel (from chipboard), it went blunt fairly quickly, so I bought a holesaw to make holes in the MDF. worked a treat.

Currently the machine has a GF2 Ultra in it, but I should be getting that upped to a GF4 4800SE in the not too distant future.

The screen is going to be an Iiyama 17" monitor.

Dunno how well FPS games will play on it to be honest. I'm quite used to the keyboard and mouse combo. I guess a stick and trackball would work quite well, but I'd need a third hand to press the buttons :D

8. Stew

Stew Disgruntled Postal Worker

hey man really good luck with it, A friend and I started building a Mame cabinet but due to unemployment it only got so far.. :sigh:

The specs you intend to use seem to be way high for what for an arcade machine would need, and I would reccomend that you use a large 4:3 tv for the screen, has the best arcade feel/picture quality ratio.
    A Pc monitor might be a bit too "clean looking"
    Should be quite cheap for a 20" tv too :)

I wouldn't have thought FPS games would play great with those controls though, but personally I don't think theres much point in building one of these things to play UT2K3.

Anyhoo good luck with it :clap:

9. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

A TV would be a good option to mount in the cab, but funds are limited, and I have the 17" monitor sitting spare at the mo.

I know the specs are high, but some games such as Metal Slug really slowed down on an Athlon 1.2@1.33 with the GF2U card, so I figured I'd get a decent spec so it would cope a bit better.

Also means I get a little bit of future proofing as newer games are added.

10. Stew

oh yeah well, if you've allready got the monitor lying around then use it! :hehe:

11. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

I was half kidding about the UT thing. I wouldn't want to play UT standing up, but i guess it could be done.

Anyway: Are you going to build it into a fileserver as well?

BTW: Im not sure you would want to do this, but turn the res down really low, then it would look more like a TV...

12. Stew

no he wouldn't need to.

All he needs to do is enable scanlines in Mame.

13. Arcana

Arcana What's a Dremel?

Yer scarin me with that Metal Slug comment...

I'm plannin on an Epia-800 for my arcade console...and Metal Slug is one of my favorites...is that a bad idea then? should I plan for larger???

14. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Well, when there's two players, a load of baddies, and bullets flying everywhere, you will need something fairly hefty to keep it moving at a reasonable speed.

If you're only going to be playing single player, you may not run into these problems.

As always, YMMV.

15. dez

dez What's a Dremel?

ive got a link at home the most killer mame arcade cabient ive ever seen. im at school now, ill post later :)

/note to self, post later

dez

16. Arcana

Arcana What's a Dremel?

The most killer arcade cabinet ever is one that you build for yourself, no matter how it compares to other greater cabinets...at least thats my belief :D

My parts come in today...pics tonight...I'm also going MDF shopping.

So Bursar....wheres the pics at bro? show us more!!!

17. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

I knocked up a couple of webpages showing my progress so far.

http://www.philspcmods.com/images/arcade

Not too much progress yesterday. Starting mounting the panels and fitted a hinged door so I could the PC. Also fitted the monitor shelf.

Still plenty more to do :(

18. daydreamingknight

daydreamingknight What's a Dremel?

Wow, it's looking really good!! Looking forward to seeing more progress!

DDK

19. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

What's with the sad face, Bursar? That's the face I get when I actually finish something...
    Looks cool, though, but isn't the computer a little unnecessary powerful for these old games?

20. Arcana

Arcana What's a Dremel?

I noticed you used chipboard also...for the prototype...not being a wood genius...I'm assuming the MDF that I was considering is not as weak at the edges as chipboard? I intend to seal and paint the console when I'm done building...will that prove sufficient in waterproofing and strengthening or is there somethign I shoudl know?