1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Critique my planned Gaming PC Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 29 Dec 2018.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Have a few vouchers to spend that'll easily offset the cost of a new PC, so I thought what the hell and rustled up the following short list of components...

CASE: Thermaltake Core P1

PROCESSOR
    : Intel Core i7-9700K
    CPU COOLER: Corsair Hydro Series™ H100i RGB PLATINUM 240mm
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming
    MEMORY: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16
    STORAGE OS: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD
    STORAGE GENERAL: Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS Internal SSD

Think that nails down the basic build. Probably go for a fanless Seasonic PSU but I do fancy some custom cables from cablemods, so I'd have to read up on compatibility before pressing ahead with a purchase.

I have the Thermaltake Core P1 in my sights because I like the way it shows off the hardware. Actually saw one in a 'Game' store today and was really impressed with the design. On the Graphics card front, I'm interested in the AORUS GeForce RTX™ 2080 XTREME WATERFORCE 8G. Thinking along the lines of adapting a couple of the PCI slots to hold the 240mm RAD and fans using a custom bracket. Could look very nice indeed once complete!

As always any thoughts on the above are welcome.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Personally speaking?

I don't know if it is possible (as I would need to spend ages trawling through gear and prices) but I would consider dropping to a Ryzen 2600, AM4 ITX board and try to make it to the 2080Ti. Mostly because the GPU is far more important, and at the resolutions you should be using with a 2080 or above the CPU will be far less important.

Unless of course you are running 1080p, in which case you shouldn't need a 2080. A 2070 would do the job fine.

As I said though, that's just my opinion (hey, you did ask !). I've never spent a penny more than I have to on a mobo with features I don't need or want, and never buy top end CPUs as they are not the important factor when gaming.

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Having owned such a chassis, there’s absolutely no point getting a fanless PSU. The noise from other fans is extremely apparent as there’s nowhere to dampen it. On top of that, dust is a real pain due to, once again, nowhere to stop it.

It’s also a massive chassis for an ITX build which kind of defeats the point.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Not really a problem. I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to get some really great discounts on Intel hardware. So the 9700K will set me back a couple of hundred pounds. It's not like I'm paying retail prices!

Computer will be in a very clean and cool room so I'm not sure either dust or temperatures will be an issue. The Corsair Rad fans can even shutdown at low temperatures. So there's a chance they might not even spin up that often. Looking at my temperature gauge the room is sitting at 14 degrees. The GTX 980 Ti in my Fractal case is sitting at 20 degrees! :grin:

5. TheMadDutchDude

Just letting you know my experience, man. I also run an extremely quiet rig under custom water, and the noise increase was noticeable.

I am a little obsessed with silent PCs, though. High performance with minimal noise is my goal. Hence having slower spinning Noctua's and the likes. :)

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I'm puzzled by:

The_Crapman likes this.
  7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Waits for VT's Vega 56 recommendation in 3, 2, .......

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

At 1440p and higher there is no GPU in existence that is fast enough to remove the GPU bottleneck, as a consequence you should always tilt your budget towards the GPU rather than the CPU.

9. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Spot on :thumb:

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Aye and to add, if you are running 1080p then there really isn't a CPU out there to remove the bottleneck. IE you will be held back by the CPU if you used a 2080 at 1080p for example.

At 4k? haha, you could wedge a lump of potato in the CPU socket and the GPU would still not be powerful enough. I remember when my 3970x died (well, the board, limiting it to 1.1ghz) I only lost about 4 FPS in GTAV @ 4k.

That is partially why I get away with using many threaded low clocked Xeons, because I always game at 4k.

11. The_Crapman

I think @Mr_Mistoffelees point was more about the stipulation that a 2080 should ONLY be used for particular resolutions, which is horse poop. You can use a 2080 to power a gameboy screen if you want.
    Yes at 1080p you may encounter a bottleneck from the cpu in certain games, but only because you're hitting 150FPS and at that point, who cares!?

That seemed like a cracking idea, but I don't think you'll have enough space. Looking at the pick below it looks like you only really have the width of 3 pci slots to get rad and fans in. Even if it could just fit it'd be choked to death.
    [​IMG]
    I'd look to mounting it up top somehow if you wanted a second 240 in there.

Edit: New thought, get them both in the front portion at an angle?

Last edited: 29 Dec 2018
    Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Exactly. Also, I play MMORPGs which DO need a fast CPU or, no matter how good your GPU is, grind to a halt if there are a lot of NPCs and players near your character/onscreen.

13. Vault-Tec

Then by your own admission a 2070 would hit 100 FPS, so who cares?

By all means you are free to completely waste your money (or others) as it's not mine but waste waste salmon paste and all that.

14. The_Crapman

In CERTAIN games, ie not all. :read: Add in future proofing and ensuring your card isn't struggling and needing to be replaced a year later and yes it would be a smarter purchase.

15. Vault-Tec

I can absolutely assure you that a 2070 is more than enough for 1080p. Even my Vega smashes it in all of the latest titles, and it's considerably slower. (noting I am using that on a 240hz screen, not the norm).

Games have not moved on enough to warrant the extra power. I bought a Titan XP 1.5 years ago for 4k and it still runs 4k perfectly fine. Like, no new game tests it any harder than the ones available when I bought it.

There is a reason why Bit classify cards in their reviews for certain resolutions (and always have) and that is because it's sensible.

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Got me some Currys vouchers to spend so I was thinking perhaps go for a LIAN-LI PC-O11DW...

[​IMG]
    Obviously I'd go the ATX route instead, but it'll take care of the RADS easily. Only slight disappointment is that I can't mount the GPU sideways to show it off. Otherwise I really like the look of this case... also the fact I wouldn't need to spend my own cash money. Think it's the best choice available from Currys ATM, unless anyone has an opinion otherwise!

The_Crapman likes this.
  17. The_Crapman

They are great looking cases. There are adapters you can get for the PCI brackets to mount the gpu vertically, like this coolermaster one.
    [​IMG]
    Also consider the PC-011 air which still has the glass side panel but MUCH better cooling performance due to the meshed front. Or they also do the fractal r6 which already had a vertical gpu mount.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2019
  18. TheMadDutchDude

I’d avoid that particular one if it were me. I had one, and it wasn’t very sturdy.

I’d look towards another one, but the names escape my brain right now.

19. The_Crapman

I think with any of them you need to put in additional support. Even though my arc Midi has a built in vertical mount, the mass of copper sagged badly and needed a helping hand.
    [​IMG]

20. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Turns out there's an official option for that case and vertical GPU mounting...

[​IMG]

The Lian Li O11D-1! Who would have thunk it! :grin:

TheMadDutchDude and The_Crapman like this.