1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice File server build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pookeyhead, 1 Jan 2010.

1. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

runs a number of DBs, does a lot of video encoding, four websites and at the end of the day the I7 is actually pretty energy efficient

2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

It's only 4 days since the last question, so I can't be necroing too much ;) this is actually an awesome thread and the OP have a very cool server setup, me likey :thumb:

So, my question really is. I am building a server/HTPC and I was thinking along the lines of the following products:

GPU: http://www.edbpriser.dk/Product/Details.aspx?q=4650&sp=all&pid=501412
    CPU: http://www.edbpriser.dk/Product/Details.aspx?pid=709387
    RAM: http://www.edbpriser.dk/Product/Details.aspx?pid=206436
    MOBO: http://www.edbpriser.dk/Product/Details.aspx?pid=535655

I know that it is all dirt cheap, but wouldn't the GPU offload the CPU when doing BluRay playback, or do I need a more powerful CPU? I haven't really got the need for a RAID card since performance isn't an issue. It is gonna be used for backing up all my DVD's and BluRays but as soon as that is done, it'll mostly be used for simple things like saving school files and so forth on :)

I have all the HDD's, PSU and what-not :) The case is gonna be an Antec 300, plenty of airflow for the passive card, don't you think?

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

4. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Good call, my only problem with that MOBO is the fact that it has only got 4 SATA headers. I don't really want to cash out for the full monty 300£+ raidcard. Coupled with the experience one of the posters had a couple of pages back with the PCI SATA cards I'm not really sure I want to go down that route.

What is the IGP good for? I can see that it is Internal Gateway Protocal but wut iz dhat? :O

5. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

IGP = Integrated Graphics Processor

ie it has onboard graphics so you dont need a separate card.

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Oh well, but for the intended use of HTPC? Wouldn't the onboard be a bit on the weak side? Or does the CPU limit the entire build from the start?

7. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

IGP is more than powerful enough for video decoding on everything except bare Atom processors; if all you're going to play on this is Blu-Rays you'll be fine with IGP, is the suggestion.

8. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Okay, thanks :). Would I be able to use a passive heatsink for the CPU? Something along the lines of a Fenrir, or would I have to equip it with some very low-voltage fans? I want it as silent as possible tbh.

9. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

It depends on what CPU you use and how you 'clock it. AFAIK, Pookey's original build is so brutally underclocked that even the horrible Intel reference cooler is almost overkill, but then his doesn't have to play Blu-Rays. I've not seen a C2D successfully passively cooled before; my guess is if you have one fan in this case, put it on the CPU cooler.

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I'm not convinced G31 can cut it with 1080p. I appreciate my server is an under clocked E3200 and wasn't designed to be anything but a file server, but with latest drivers for everything, CCCP codec pack and Media Player Classic Home Cinema (the same set up I use on my main rig) 1080p plays at around 1fps and 100% CPU usage. I can't imagine putting it back to it's standard clock speed improving things THAT much, can you?

I don't think the G31 GPU can cut unless you have a strong CPU powering it, and then you will have cooling issues that you don't want in a HTPC.

Personally, I think the passive 4650 is a better idea, and then you are offloading the rendering to that, allowing a less powerful (and easier to cool) CPU.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh HTPC. Sorry I didn't see that part (this thread has been about file servers exclusively so far :blush: )

Grab a 5450 or AMD setup with 785G IGP imo then.

785G or soon the 880G (with SATA 6Gbps and RAID 5) + Athlon II will cut it at 1080p

12. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

NP, you are busy cutting holes in GPU's ;)

Yeah I might go down the 5XXX road for the power and heat requirements.

13. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

can I ask a dumb question in this thread?

What's the difference between a NAS and a server? Don't they both do the same thing? Is there an advantage of one or the other?

14. saspro

saspro IT monkey

A NAS is just storage, a server can run other services (web, email etc)

15. barndoor101

although you will find dedicated NAS boxes that can do torrents and other simple stuff like FTP.

16. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

Benefits for the home user of each? Wouldn't it be simpler to just build a server as it seems you have the ability to expand its functions if needed?

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The two are blurred. Most NAS boxes these days offer basic server functions. I run a windows torrent client out of my WHS box and admin it via remote desktop. I get the full functionality of utorrent without having to put up with crappy web browser interfaces.

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Its all about UltraVNC, web interface ewww

19. barndoor101

or even RDC - no setup required.

20. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder