1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Firefox is critically flawed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Oct 2006.

1. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

scared of security flaws in your software? DONT USE A COMPUTER!!!!!! DONT GET OUT OF YOUR HOUSE!!!!!! AND DONT EVER GET BORN!!!!!

edit: sorry

2. Stwongbad

Stwongbad What's a Dremel?

How do i turn off javascript..

3. customh

customh conflagration.

get the noscript extension and protect yourself, the way im seeing this if you prevent the script, it'll be fine, but i was wondering the same thing.

trailblazer, if a browser has a small user base there are of course going to be fewer bugs found. Now when you add in the mix the fact that IE's users are for the most part not technically inclined but many users one will find many bugs, but not as many as, say, firefox where most of the users are technically inclined and there is a bigger user base, but still not many, when you ahve a bunch of geeks using a browser there will be many bugs found.

4. KriTip

KriTip What's a Dremel?

lynx or links is where its truely at :) command line text browsing....your pron won't look any good, but at least you BW will be nice and low, and you can use it over a terminal ;)

Kristian

5. trailblazer

trailblazer What's a Dremel?

Agree..

Customholle, I agree 100 percent, thats part of the problem. I mean, I don't think there will be a watertight, totally secure browser out there. So for us users its a case of using the one with the least holes poked in it. IE has more patches than Huck Fins pants, Firefox with the lower user base has not been tested so much but now it's taking fire. So that leaves Opera, dont know how long that will last but it does have the stats in its favour. I guess if you work with Browsers you have a job for life.

6. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Menu: Tools -> Options -> Content -> uncheck Enable JavaScript box

7. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

It's funny how most flaws of IE that are exposed are bashed immediately yet when a supposedly critical flaw of FF is revealed, nothing's wrong.

8. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

thats because MS is a billion dollor company that has thousands of workers day in and day out being paid 6 figures to know what they are doing, and they should have a R&D department beyond anything anyone can imagine. so if anyone shouldnt have problems it should be MS. considering MS talkes about how great they are. firefox users talk about how great it is. thats the difference.

ill never claim anything is bullet proof no matter how much of a fan of somthing i am. i love firefox because its free and its for the most part (as far as my experiences) stable. the layout and the ability to customize is the reason i like firefox. i used IE for years before firefox even existed, but i liked it better when i did use it, so i stuck with it.

9. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Noscript ***. I like firefox better then IE. That's why I use it. Tried Opera, not a fan of that either.

10. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

As a freelance web developer I have to use both browsers, IE and Firefox both speak a slightly different version of html. Both of course claim to conform to the full html standards. However the html test on both browsers fail. One interesting feature from the coding standpoint is the ability to change the colors of the scrollbars to match your page layout in IE. It is required to use browser detection code to make sure a page is displayed right in all browsers.

At the end of the day I find myself to use IE more than Firefox. Why who knows, probably because I have been using IE since it came out on its own seperate cdrom. Both IE and Firefox fanboys can have their arguments. Simple truth is the world of 'perfect' and 'completely secure' browsing does not exist for either firefox or IE. Personally I like the way pages are often rendered better in IE, mostly due to the programmer coding for IE in mind. Though I do enjoy the tabbed browsing in firefox, but then again IE has had that for quite some time with the msn plugin.

Simple truth is there is no way to protect yourself from being irresponsible on the internet. This article only proves that fact. IE and firefox have shared a long list of issues and exploits. Anyone with windows update and the firefox updater turned on and configured generally will not be affected by a good many exploits. Take a careful look at who is often exploited, people with outdated code. IE 6 has been around for quite some time. 2001 is a good many years back, then to now IE has gone through many changes. If anyone recalls using firefox back in the 1.0 days will recall it had its share of issues.

Am I more insecure to use IE over firefox when I chose to? Maybe I am, but I am certainly not getting 100 viruses a day. Nor is all my credit card info being used in taiwan to purchase crates of television sets. Honestly sometimes you are only secure as your most insecure connection. Your data changes many hands before it reaches your destination.

Just something for all the IE and firefox fanboys to think about. Before proclaiming their beloved browser to be the best on the internet.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2006
  11. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

*double post*

Last edited: 3 Oct 2006
  12. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

naw, its a double standard. fanboys wont bash their own.

13. [Jonny]

[Jonny] What's a Dremel?

:duh:

Anyway, it turns out the whole thing was over exaggerated a bit.

14. trailblazer

trailblazer What's a Dremel?

Interesting..

If these exploits never existed, could never be used and have never been used, why the big story ? Certainly never did Firefox any good. Or, is it a bit of damage limitation?

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

I think 'five minutes of fame' springs to mind. We've posted a follow up.

Tags: Add Tags