1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Hot i7 920?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rofl_Waffle, 18 Apr 2010.

1. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

well I have an i7 920 D0 and it is running really really hot by comparison and doesn't overclock well.

I can't boot into windows with a 4ghz clock. 3.9ghz is the max clock but that was using 1.35v, I haven't given it more than 1.4v

It is running right now at 180 BLCK at 1.24v

Motherboard is Gigabyte x58 UD7
    Memory is Mushkin 6x2GB 2000Mhz 8-9-8-24

Now I say it is hot becuase it is on full water. At the 3.6Ghz clock it is at 43C idle and loads at 50+

I know people who have i5 750s on a H50 and that idles around 35C. I constantly hear people overclock their i7s at 4ghz on air. Makes me sad.

My graphics card by comparison idles at 35C and loads at 40C. It is an ATI 5970. It is in the same loop as well as the x58 chipset. Before I added my graphics card and chipset to the loop the CPU was running 40ish still.

So do I have a really really hot chip or am I not overclocking right. I just upped the BCLK, vcore, and ram voltage.

The loop uses a single MCP 655 and a feser 360 xchanger. The block is Swiftech XT. I changed the thermal paste several times and brands too. Shouldn't make too much difference anyway.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What size radiator are you using? With what fans? And how is your loop setup?

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

You havent actually said what temps your getting at 3.9GHz load. FYI my 930 is taking 1.35V for 3.9GHz as well, but this is on air.

4. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

I run mine at 3.6GHz with stock voltages and under 60c is good, as on air with the titan fenrir, I hit up to 69c under prime95 small fft after 10 minutes and idle around the 40c mark on core 0. Also, changing the fans to higher rpm models or making it push instead of pull or vice versa could reduce temperatures. 920s generally have higher idle temperatures than any other cpu likewise on load, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Side note : I've heard but can't confirm it that populating all the ram slots can increase cpu temperature slightly as well as limit overclocking potential.

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I would say a load temp in the 50's is pretty good with that overclock and vcore considering you have a GPU and added restriction to the loop by including the chipset.

6. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I've been running my i7 920 at 4GHz, 1.5v vCore under water for months now and it idles around 40-45C depending on ambient temps and hits about 70C under typical load, just for reference.

Yes, that's 1.5v as reported by the chipset.
    Either I got a dud 920 or my chipset is handling voltages strangely.

7. Rofl_Waffle

My CPU temps strangely were always 40ish idle even before my GPU as I said earlier. While my GPU is 30ish on idle. Since the water temps are the same I can only assume the i7 produces more heat than the 5970.

It is a 3x120 radiator as mentioned but my fans are 3x noctuas 1200RPM but running at half speed so 600RPM? Upping the speed definitely helps but doesen't drop my temps below 40c like many people with liquid cooling is claiming.

People are reporting ridiculous 30c overclocks of 4ghz with 1.3v or something on water. Are they understating voltage and temps for bigger e-peen because the internet has some problems with honesty XD

If my chip is really that bad and can't support 4ghz on 1.3v then maybe I would like to replace it with a 930 and I can sell this one to a friend at tremendous discount since he doesn't care about overclocking. If my chip is actually average then there is no point. A replacement would probably run the same anyway.

I don't want to exceed 1.4v on my overclock because I know at that point my room would unacceptably hot. overclocked i7 + overclocked 5970 = a lot of heat in my room >_<

8. Cosmot

Cosmot What's a Dremel?

I don't want to exceed 1.4v on my overclock because I know at that point my room would unacceptably hot. overclocked i7 + overclocked 5970 = a lot of heat in my room >_<[/QUOTE]

Not a power problem, is your cpu heat. Get a water-cooling, cpu certainly kept 70 degrees below, even if you run some programs. There are also concerns about temperature for your case and room. If you find you room temperature high, you can turn on air conditioners.:naughty:

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

My 930 doesn't overclock any better than your chip so don't expect a 930 to magically increase your ability to overclock.

10. Rofl_Waffle

My computer is in my room on the second floor so turning on the AC is impractical as the other rooms would be cooling beyond comfort since it is only spring.

Not to mention AC would increase power consumption by several hundred if not thousands of KW. Thats around a thousand times more than my computer.

I did find the best compromise. I now have my desk right next to my window with my computer drawing air directly from it. Ambient temp is effectively 15C or whatever it is outside. Maybe a little bit more since I didn't open my window all the way. Summer would probably suck ass.

Any I did manage 4.0Ghz or 4.2ghz if you include turbo boost. Voltage required was 1.47v << wow. I won't be running this clock even if it broke records. I had 3.9ghz stable before with 1.35v. So much voltage for 100mhz? Please. I guess my chip is just extra leaky.

11. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

If you're running your RAM anywhere near to it's rated speed at the higher overclocks then you may need to increase your QPI/VTT voltage. Both Corsair and Gskill are suggesting anything up to 1.6v for 2000MHz with an overclocked CPU. I have to run a 1.6v QPI to get mine to run at 2000MHz with 4.2GHz. It does increase the CPU temps but in my case it's 2-3ºC which is less than I thought it would be. Even with 1600MHz I need around 1.48v. I think my CPU is a good overclocker with an average to bad IMC.

EDIT - I forgot to add that I also need to increase my CPU PLL and IOH voltages over a 200BCLK, 1.96v and 1.3v for my system.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Your temps on water cooling are not hot at all

13. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

they seems kinda hot but well within limits. looks like a poor i7.

i have the H50 with i7 920 @ 4Ghz. idles around 36-40C and loads around 65C (after 1hr of prime). im using around 1.32Vish i think, havent checked the bios for a while.

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

If it makes y'all feel any better, I'm letting Foobar2000 apply replaygain with only 2 of my cores on my 750, and at 3Ghz, stock volts, stock cooler (cry), I'm hitting 93-94 on two cores, and 89 on the two "idle" cores.

Hit 99 the other day :waah:

15. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

in aberdeen? bloody hell.

you might wanna splurge 20 quid on a freezer pro ;)

16. shah

shah Minimodder

You better check the heatsink it might not touching the processor properly. It happened to me and the temps were in the 90s!

edit: with stock cooler at stock speed the temps shoud be around 35 to 40.

17. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

The reason you are getting a high temp is because of the Memory OC you are doing as well. I have a 920 and my RAM runs @ 1866MHz. To run your ram at anything higher then 1066MHz on a 9XX i7 means you have to OC the memory controler, its in the CPU so that heat is added to any CPU OC you try to do. I can't get past 3.8 on air and even then I hit 85 - 90 degresse.

You have 2 options; run your RAM lower or don't run your CPU as high. As long as your have your RAM @ 2000MHz you will not get your CPU to 4GHz.

Extra option; get a better cooling system, but that cost more.

18. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

well surely that a bit of fail if thats the case.

memory speed is no where no as important as CPU speed so it would make more sense to lower your RAM speed and overclock the CPU more.

but to be honest ive never heard of overclocking the RAM to have a massive effect on heat output.

mine machine is at i7 920 @ 4ghz @ 1.35V with 1600mhz RAM @ 1.64V. temps are 35-40C idle and 65-70C under load using a corsair H50.

now adding 400mhz to the RAM would certainly not add nearly 30C to mine load temps.