1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming In Focus: Is the Jedi Consular a Sith?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 10 Aug 2011.

1. fatty beef

fatty beef State Side

Total flame bait.

It is a game not cannon and in every single bioware game ever made there has been some type of resurrection spell/power/ability available if you choose to put your points there. From Baulders Gate through Mass Effect 2... Really nothing new here. Same goes for healing. Every single class in every single game has had some method of recouping hit points.

The game is going to be simple enough where I can play it after work with out having to think to hard while at the same time allowing me (from what I have seen in the previews and heard second hand) enough space to walk around like an idiot and waste time looking for a new item or something in Alderaan's forest of wonder.

It is clearly not a super hardcore involved time consuming MMO of epic proportions that will revolutionize the industry following the Star Wars lore to a T. Its going to be a relatively simple playground that can potentially generate a boat load of revenue meaning it wont be 100% garbage. That appeals to me but may not work for everybody.

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Missing an "s" there chaps...

3. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

I jizzed, such a good book. :D

/meekly attempts to force pull silver lightsabre
    *gives up*
    /creates illusion that I has lightsabre in hand

:p

4. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

In the 1st Star Wars film, (A New Beginning?), Obi Wan Kenobi is clearly shown healing Luke Skywalker after Luke was attacked by the sand people. Obi Wan places his hand on Luke's brow and then Luke awakens with no overt signs of injury. Even if Luke were just knocked unconscious then he should've had signs of injury such as bruising, bleeding from a wound, &/or not have been fully aware of his surroundings for a while just as anyone else.
    The 1st Star Wars Trilogy was a very good, not great, series. I had no problem whatsoever waiting for it to come out on Cable TV and after seeing the films, never wished I had seen them in some noisy, smelly theatre earlier. They had state of the art cinematics and the unretouched originals look quite lame as compared to the retouched re-releases.
    There was one game on the N64 I enjoyed, that was based on Star Wars. I've never met a PC Star Wars game that was worth buying from the bargain bin. I hate MMO's with a passion.
    Obi Wan probably developed the healing power during his seclusion between the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy. Big deal.
    Jeremiah was a bullfrog. Much more interesting!

5. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Shadows of the Empire?
    Battle for Naboo?
    Podracer?
    Rogue Squadron?

Don't leave us hanging. :p

6. themisanthrope

themisanthrope What's a Dremel?

This. In fact, not only this - it's a Light Side Jedi ability. So was the ability to revive fallen allies mid-battle, if I recall correctly...

Perhaps. Either way, it would seem Mr Webster really wants to hate this game.

Personally, I don't care that much about canon, as long as there's nothing jarring and the gameplay is fun. After all, they moved the action back some 3500 years precisely to avoid this knee-jerk Aspie fanboy moaning.

I was encouraged by this trailer - gameplay footage of Jedis laying the holy smack down with loads of different force powers.

7. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

One of the things you can't get oo hung up about the Sith legends of resurrection and healing - the stories themselves was told by a Sith..... lies and deceit are their allies.

It's entirely feasible that he simply manipulted the legend of healing and resurrection to suit his purposes at that time.

Once they reach a basic level. Jedi's learn their powers through self discovery (each has different 'gifits'), the sith do things a different way - it could be that healing and resurrection is a 'gift' so could be learned by either side.

8. 2bdetermine

2bdetermine What's a Dremel?

Graphically this game failed if it doesn’t support at least DX10, half a decade ago maybe forgivable.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

it supports up to direct x 11 you need a dx 11 card to enable certain features of the graphics engine

it supports direct x 9 because of windows xp and thats the only reason id guess since thats the highest graphics ip supported by that old system

from the videos ingame it looks alot like dragon age 2 which for an mmo is probably overkill.

only lucas arts truly know what lore there is and if they make a sequel its been mensioned before the lore will be rewritten again anyway.

it will sell millions either way so i dont think bioware or ea care that one site outta the thounsands hate it. Bit tech is one of the few sites to not give a positive review of the game, whilst this post just seems a bit misconception are us theres so little known about the consular class and this video doesnt show anything new.

the only thing i have agaist the game is no yoda race

10. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

That Wickes advert reminds me, must go and buy a new door this weekend.

Did someone say something about Star Wars?

11. Havalynii

Havalynii What's a Dremel?

I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but Republic Commando (one of my favorite Star Wars games, and totally under-rated, imho) dealt with the possibility of non-Force resurrection, albeit not from the dead, but rather from near death, using something similar to a defibrillator. I think that would have been a fair compromise for the Jedis to use in TOR. Not that it matters to me, I have a family and fear that a Star Wars MMORPG would take more than I can afford to give. ;o) I'd definitely love sequels to both Republic Commando and KOTOR II, however!

12. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

SWTOR is the sequels to KOTOR I & II, they;ve said this will be 3+, they're hoping for this to stay around for along time just like WoW has.

I doubt your family would really care if you gave £9 to play this.

13. PhenomRed

PhenomRed What's a Dremel?

I believe he was referring to the time the game would suck up, as opposed to the money

14. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Well then that's him not having any will power then. The time he spent playing other games would easily cover the same time frame he'd play this. So it's a pretty bad excuse, if you can't control yourself, you probably shouldn't start a family if you game too much.

15. Sensei

Sensei What's a Dremel?

Yep, thats pretty much what I said? Okay, unique was probably the wrong word. How about making something 'better' like DA, with an improved combat system and better graphics. Or did you not think DA was anything special?

16. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Dragon Age was... good. Special? Not so much; at least not in my opinion.

Going from Mass Effect -> Dragon Age didn't help and i personally don't think it eclipses KoTOR in terms of being a better game.

I never really felt the gameplay was any better or all that different and it was mainly down to refinement of the interface and the graphical overhaul.

For "unique" or maybe regarded as "special" i'd say The Witcher (original) which i thought had better gameplay although its form of RPG was of a different nature (more like an action/adventure RPG, rather than a tradtional party style RPG).

Anyhow, with all that said, you're asking why they aren't making something "better" like Dragon Age. And that for me simply means KoTOR with a better gameplay interface/UI and better graphics... which is exactly what SWTOR looks/sounds like.

The fact that it's an MMO and incurs subscription fees is a little disappointing, however on the flip side, the amount of times i've wished for a co-op KoTOR to play with my friends has been numerous and this seems like the perfect outlet.

Whether or not it actually lives up to that we can only tell after release.

17. Sensei

Sensei What's a Dremel?

I would have to agree with almost everything you have said here. In fact, I concede, you have said what I wanted to say only better.
    The thing is, I loved the first 2 KOTORs and so yes, I would like a newer more polished version of them with a brand new story.
    The main things I disagree on is SWOTOR does not look at all impressive to me. The in game vids look drab and lacking in any deep polish. Ive never been one to care about playing online either, so perhaps Im being a tad selfish but these are my opinions.

Also, Dragon Age for me was a rare game that pulled me in quite deeply, which does not happen with the majority of games I buy these days.
    Its a tough call and as you say, we'll find out if its any good one way or the other after release.

18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

SWTOR does not look that impressive because it's not targeted at the minority of hardcore-gamers. It's developed to run on 5 year old DX9 rigs first and foremost. The little graphical enhancements you get from DX10/11 are not that great, if you set the basics that low to begin with. So yeah, sure it looks unimpresisve from a graphics POV.

Playing online is the major point of plaing games for me. Sitting alone infront of a PC/console is totally boring imho and therefore I'm glad that there'll be a SW-MMO like that. Lot's of content for playing solo, when my buddies aren't online, but on the same time I can team up and play in a group when they are online without waiting in a lobby to load the next match.

Mass Effect 1+2 and Dragon Age 1 were both good games imho, but they didn't last very long. Played through in a month and now collecting dust as there's no replayability. Borderlands lasted way longer for example, allthough the story was the same for every character-build, but still the game felt different enough with the different character-builds.
    With four classes for a faction and tons of class-based storyline content SWTOR is good for atleast half a year, and that's without the group-content.
    but then, I'm not too much interested in switching between games as fast, and I do like to play games for extended periods of time within a community.

---

Now back to the OP. As I stated in the first post, the story plays 3500 years before Episode 1. Back in these days the Sith (Empire) were just recently decimated by the Jedi (Republic) and the force was much more widespread and there was much more shades of grey inbetween the light and dark. There was evil Jedi-knights aswell as good Sith-Lords and both of them basically had the same knowledge about the force.

When there's one thing we learnt from the films EP1-6 then it's the fact, that there's not much left from these glorious old days. In EP 1 we learn tho, that the force is basically everywhere. It's just not that strong to become a Jedi within everone. Back in the days this was very different, we just have to read the books instead of watching the films.
    And as some people allready mentioned, SW:KOTOR 1+2 is much closer to the books then the films and we saw healing and resurrecting Jedi there aswell.

That's why I hate the films. They don't resemble the universe of SWTOR really well. They're only telling a very short glimpse of it and way after the glorious days aswell. Real Star Wars fans who've read the books tho will love SWTOR for what it is tho.

19. Havalynii

Havalynii What's a Dremel?

Hey there, Smellyhead, thanks for engaging my post (you as well Phenomred). I was not implying a judgment on anyone who gets this game. I'm more saying that with the KOTOR I and II games, I liked the ability to start and stop playing without having other people in a guild counting on me to put time in.

I know that if I got involved in A) an MMORPG and B) one that involves my favorite franchise, I wouldn't have good self-control. If anything, I'd agree with your statement...if I can't control the amount of time I spend gaming, I shouldn't have a family...and I probably should get some help in that scenario. I'm just saying that I ensure that I don't sacrifice on the family side of things by getting something that I wouldn't have the self-control to keep in perspective. That's just me, I know, and doesn't reflect on you or anyone else.

I still think that TOR is interesting to read about, so that's why I cruise these articles from time to time, and it just struck me that there is another game that has a resurrection mechanic, so thought I'd throw that in, then I also added a personal thought which was meant to be humorous but was...lacking. :)

I would respectfully disagree that the time spend playing other games would cover the time spent TOR for me. The reason I like single player games (especially when they let me save at anytime) is that I can feasibly hop on and off for 15-30 minutes in a day. I really don't think I play as much on those games as I would with this game. That being said, if you're picking this up, I hope you enjoy it! I'll personally probably wait for Prey 2 or get Skyrim instead.

20. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

Hell if I know. I didn't even own a computer way back then. The N64 died on me so I trashed the entire lot, wasted my money on the 1st X-Box and then bought my 1st computer 7 days after that. The only game ever run on the X-Box was Halo. Luckily I packed it away carefully and have just run across some articles about converting the original X-Box into a cheap htcp. I know that mod isn't new, now, but it's new to me.

Tags: Add Tags