1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews Intel Core i7-8700K (Coffee Lake) And Z370 Chipset Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 5 Oct 2017.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

But if we change sockets that means we get not only the sale of a chipset but the licensing fees for the socket. All over again ! even from the people who bought Kabylake !

And if we use paste we will save 0.001 cents per CPU so yes, let's use crappy paste and then let the mugs at the other end delid their CPUs and voiding their warranty. If we just make the CPU substrate thinner we will also save a few pennies here and there !

/sarcasm finished but that is basically Intel now.

TheMadDutchDude and MLyons like this.
  2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I think you mis-read my post, because that's the EXACT point I was making. I said AMD bosses shouldn't (and won't) be chill about CL, and that AMD, Intel AND us consumers needed Ryzen to be the success it was.

And like you, I say AMD needs to keep the pressure on and actually make Zen+ (and Zen 2) a worthy upgrade to avoid falling behind yet again... If AMD start playing silly buggers and pushing back release dates like it did with Vega, we're in trouble.

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

I'm waiting for the next gen, die shrink and IPC improvement.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Every Intel socket since H1 (AKA LGA1156) has hosted two generations per socket. Same with H2, H3, and H4. I expect H5 to be exactly the same. If you were somehow expecting something different, you'd be ignoring a decade of history.

5. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

You've missed my point, Intel have lived up to my every expectation - only this time around in record breaking time as their hand was forced, I find it sadly predictable and comical.

:hehe: :lol: :hehe: :lol: :hehe:

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Competition everyone: Ain't it glorious?

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Exactly. This is how most mass production business works. Minimum viable product for the masses.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

As you rightly pointed out, most of the low-end needs something cheap with IGP. AMD's R3s don't have IGP and its APUs are so late now. They've missed that boat.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If these rumors are accurate their going to retire Z370 in a few months and replace it with the Z390, i guess it could come with all/some of the features Antony said aren't included on the Z370.

By the sounds of it Intel may have brought forward the planned launch of CL and modified the 200 series to support the extra power circuitry, the Z370 chipset is more of a stop-gap solution with the proper boards coming out spring next year.

Coffee lake is nothing more than Kaby Lake with a few more cores and modified 200 series boards.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2017
  10. Vault-Tec

Yup and people are losing their minds just because Intel have given them two more cores :D

They may as well punch me on the nose and tell me I have ugly kids tbh.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Intel has been selling 6 core HEDT chips for around that price for a while already.
    I'd see the 8700K as a correction that was overdue as the pricing of quadcores like the 6700k / 7700k was ridiculous even compared to other Intel cpus.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It's faster, has two more cores, doesn't cost anymore, what's not to like? Apart from the fact you can't drop into an old system, if you are buying new that is not a problem.

13. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

It is a bit funny - since Haswell people have been complaining about the 4c/8t plateau, when Intel finally listen and give the people more, they still complain :p

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It clocks higher but it's not faster, at lest not in terms of IPC.

What's not to like IMO is that Intel said it would be a 15% gain over Kaby Lake and yes i know they exaggerate but we're talking about almost undetectable gains, other than the extra cores and extra clock speed that comes from a mature fabrication process nothing (afaik) has changed, even the chipset has remained the same.

15. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

To be fair, AMD are probably counting their lucky stars these aren't compatible with Z170/Z270 boards, otherwise it would have been a massacre.

So in a weird, convoluted way Intel have kind of done us (and AMD) a favour... If they said from the start people would have plug-in upgrades for their Skylake setups, how many would have made the jump to Ryzen?

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Retroactive buyers remorse, people don't like to be reminded how much they've been short changed with the last couple generations of Intel cpus.

17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Is there another kind?

18. Vault-Tec

It clocks around the same as Kaby review samples. Let's wait until we see what it actually clocks like once you can actually buy it.

19. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Retroactive not-buying remorse? Like not getting a GPU or some DDR4 before the prices went mad?

20. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Yep, that musta hit a few people recently.

Tags: Add Tags