1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Miner help needed.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 22 Mar 2020.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

OK so I need a really long PCIE ribbon cable. I'd rather dodge that if I can. I want to hook up my X1 sound card below the GPU here.

[​IMG]

Below the GPU. Ribbons in this sort of length are £80 or more. So, I saw this and it comes with a 68cm cable.

[​IMG]

For £2. lol. Obviously I would need to dress it up a bit, but thankfully I do have a 6 pin PCIE extension spare as I didn't use it. I'd also need to dress it up a bit, or look for one in black.

Do they work OK? board side you wouldn't see it as it could hide under the X16 ribbon here.

[​IMG]

Also, is that USB cable just a double ended USB cable or something special?

Thanks

2. kim

kim hardware addict

what about linking 2 ribbons together ?, it should work, I even tried it with 16x PCI express and it worked fine with a GPU...
    about those you mentioned...I saw that video once:

Vault-Tec likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Yeah I saw a Thermaltake ribbon that joins. I will need to measure the one I have (the 1x that isn't long enough). I want to keep it X1. Mostly because the second X4 full length slot is too high up on the board really.

4. kim

kim hardware addict

I am pretty sure it will work with two 1X ribbons, especially if it is for your sound card, but keep us informed about the result :blah:

5. Vault-Tec

OK I finally found the length of the PCIE ribbon I have. The X1. It's 24cm. I took it to the case and a few things became apparent. Firstly, the cable exits under it. Meaning that even bent hard it would not sit under the sound card. Secondly even by spending £17 on another one it still wouldn't reach.

However, what I did find was this.

[​IMG]

For just over a fiver with prime shipping. I like that for two reasons. 1, I can use a X1 slot and 2, it is right angled so it won't stick out like a sore thumb.

Obviously something will have to be done about the blue cable, but I think I can get a black SS cable pretty easy. That or I will simply braid it.

kim likes this.
  6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its my understanding that those cables just shunt the PCIe over the USB cable, there's no conversion. So try to find a shielded cable if you can, slything this will make it harder to route, as that'll help. It's only a ssounnd card, so you should be fine! For a fiver its worth testing at least!

7. Vault-Tec

Yeah that's what I thought. I do know this will actually be a lot easier to route than a ribbon, as the connector is quite fat. It won't fit behind the GPU for example. I'm pretty sure a USB cable will though, and I can connect the X1 part once it's to the board. I ordered a molex - SATA in silver, as I already bought a silver molex extension (for the sound card power). I think once a couple more silver cables go in it will look fine. I can test it all long before I actually fit anything too. I did run a D2X off of one of those cheap grey ones and it worked fine, so I would imagine it doesn't pull lots of current.

8. Vault-Tec

Probably, but I don't fancy waiting two years for delivery lol.

9. Vault-Tec

Nope. It needs to be at least 58cm. I've ordered the riser thing dude. I can change the USB cable. Cheapest and easiest solution tbh.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  10. Vault-Tec

68 would work but you can't get any that length in the UK.