New Orleans = Screwed

Discussion in 'Serious' started by RotoSequence, 28 Aug 2005.

1. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

I would just like to say something regarding this image:

[​IMG]
    Hurricans quickly lose power when over land, so dont get to worried. I seriously doubt it will make it more than 1/2 way through the projected path.

2. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

3. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Yeah, but we're still going to see a hell of alot of rain. Every hurricane that hits ths U.S. always dumps a ton of rain on us and I live in the freaking mountains.

4. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

I totally agree. It won't be hurricane strength when it hits my neck of the woods, but since it's such a strong hurricane, I fully expect it to remain a tropical storm and dump buckets of rain and have lots of wind - in other words, still one hell of a storm.

5. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

wow, Goodluck to everyone living in or around the area, seems alot worse than i first thought after reading thru this thread, love what the sherriff said tho" HAul ass and get outta here"..lol

6. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Holy ****!!!!! I hope those 10,000 people who were in there got the hell out before that happened! I feel really bad for those poor kids whose parents were too dumb to get out of New Orleans.

7. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

How stupid do you have to be, im guessing every TV channel over there is saying "Evacuate NOW", So what do they do? They sit around saying "nahh, we`ll be fine.. never mind we have 2 young children will might be ******** scared when the roof blows off, ill just sit here.. it wont happen to us".. anyone that dosnt leave either has a damn good reason, or is an idiot imho. Good luck to em tho, they might be idiots but dont deserve to be killed.

8. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

God...it's getting worse and worse by the minute now.

9. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

The good thing is that the worst has already gone through New Orleans.

EDIT::

According to weather.com:
    A levee in New Orleans has been breached sending 3 to 8 feet of water into the 9th Ward area of the city.

EDIT #2::
    # 10 feet of water covers Gulfport, Mississippi, streets
    # Hurricane Katrina now Category 3 with 125 mph wind
    # East side of New Orleans under 5 to 6 feet of water

Pics are starting to trickle in
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Aug 2005
  10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

11. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

I think its still in one peice, bindi, just a spec of rain on the camera
    Hope it clams down soon!

12. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

13. bort

bort What's a Dremel?

I wrote this earlier today... yes, I am a cranky S.O.B. enjoi

Its rare that a disaster could reach biblical proportions but the AP thinks one could be heading towards New Orleans. They said "it could turn one of America's most charming cities into a vast cesspool tainted with toxic chemicals, human waste and even coffins released by floodwaters from the city's legendary cemeteries." I think I might be confused because I thought New Orleans was a vast cesspool tainted with toxic chemicals, human waste, and coffins. If nothing else happens, maybe this storm will wash some of the cess out of the pool. We can only hope.

I'm not happy about the prospect of a million people being without homes or the logistics of providing shelter for them or feeding them but they do deserve it. Why? Well, breaking out the bible school knowledge we've all heard the parable about the man who built his house upon sand and then the other who built his upon stone. The house built upon the sand was destroyed by nature. In this case, the houses that are built next to the Gulf, an area PRONE to MASSIVE HURRICANES. Its very similar to the guy wearing bib overalls and a dekalb hat who is aloof to why his trailer washed away when he parked it next to a levee of a river that frequently floods. If you built your hut next to an active volcano that rarely erupted would you be mad when it did? Well, you might be but you don't have that right because you are a moron. You need to go to the school of basic common sense. Lets all do the math on this one. Yes, its going to be a disaster but it is inevitable. They knew it was coming and should have planned better for it.

My plan would have been to MOVE AWAY FROM THE HURRICANE ZONE!

Read what the AP said here
    Ok... thats enough ranting for now

14. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

WTF? It was a completely different pic earlier, middle of the night and two of the sections were collapsed and the central metal stuff over the tarmac was totally bent!?

16. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

It's making it's 2nd landfall in Mississippi...

Select quotes from cnn.com:
    Authorities in Gulfport, Mississippi, told CNN's Gary Tuchman that 10 feet of water covered downtown streets.

"Because the water is so deep, boats are floating up the street," Tuchman said. "There is extensive damage here. This is essentially right now like hell on earth."

"There is intense damage," he said. "We are watching the dismantling of a beautiful town."

CNN's Rob Marciano reported extensive damage in Biloxi, east of Pascagoula. "Just a few minutes ago, the wind, surely over 100 mph, peeled roofs off, hurling 6-by-8 sheets of plywood into our parking lot, blowing out the windows of SUVs," he said. (Watch video report from Biloxi, Mississippi)

Farther east, Mobile Bay spilled into downtown Mobile, Alabama, as the outer bands of the storm lashed the city.

A 20-foot storm surge is forecast as Katrina pushes inland.

Report: "Total structural failure"

The National Weather Service said it had received many reports of "total structural failure" in the New Orleans metro area. It did not elaborate, but video from the city showed crumbled walls in one neighborhood.

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour told reporters that Katrina "came in on Mississippi like a ton of bricks."

When asked what was his greatest fear, Barbour replied grimly "that there are a lot of dead people down there."

The Associated Press reported that entire neighborhoods along the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain were flooded, and residents had scrambled onto the roofs of their shotgun-style houses.

"I'm not doing too good right now," Chris Robinson told the AP via cell phone from his home east of the city's downtown. "The water's rising pretty fast. I got a hammer and an ax and a crowbar, but I'm holding off on breaking through the roof until the last minute. Tell someone to come get me please. I want to live."

[​IMG]

17. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Maybe they repaired it? :hehe:

But this storm looks bad, glad my friend flew back from New Orleans last monday!

18. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

According to the emergency notification system on my satellite radio, clusters of major thunderstorms with multiple tornado's have been spotted in the outer bands of the hurricane in mainly central & southern Alabama and in western Florida. The threat of tornado's is increasing in those areas. Katrina has been downgraded to a category 2...

Bush has declared the entire region a disaster area...

The National Guard has stated that 1, maybe 2 oil drilling platforms in the Gulf of Mexico have been set adrift.

Bush may tap US stategic oil reserves due to hurricane...

Jesus, look how friggin HUGE this thing is!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Aug 2005
  19. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Ive been watching it all day on TV, and has anybody been watching Fox News? One of the reporters on there is absolutely insane! He was standin outside in the rain and wind, debris flying, being blown about, and had i think an ice pack to his head. Making sure we got good coverage!

Looks lie it's gonna take ages to clear up...

20. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

TBQH...NOBODY deserves this. The area is prone to be hit by hurricanes but the area has been inhabited for HUNDREDS if not more years. There's no place on earth that is NOT prone to some form of natural disaster or another. I may live in the mountains and be relatively save from floods (it'd take a hell of alot of water for my apartment to flood), I live a good distance away from the closest fault line, tornados are VERY uncommon to happen here but yet there's other forms that we get hit by with landslides, flooding in the valleys, occasional hail storms, deep snows, and that very rare tornado. So should I move away from my home because of this? I don't think so.

Calling New Orleans "a vast cesspool tainted with toxic chemicals, human waste, and coffins" shows just how much you know about the area. Do a little bit of research and show a little bit of humanity. In fact, I suggest you think before you post. Would you like it if some sort of disaster happened to where you lived and you were left homeless and people said "oh, well, I don't feel sorry for him because he knew there was a chance of that happening and he should have moved away!"? I don't think so.