1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Pipex port throttling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yodasarmpit, 9 Mar 2006.

1. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

I *should* be on 2mb with pipex, as i did the free upgrade thingy. I can rarely pull >120kb/s but i can use torrents fine.
    I was with xtreme package but i beleive the naming has changed.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh Pfff. I get TV and anime. It's legal grey area at best. Im a special case though because I work between two places I have my own lappy, not one locked down by the IT department in one and I know the IT guy in the other :naughty: Plus I run peerguardian, firewall, use private trackers etc

3. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

Most people downloading 100GB+ a month wouldn't be able to afford PAYG style pricing.

Shaping/throttling is hear to stay so get used to it.

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The problem with Pipex throttling P2P is it's not based on you going over a certain download quota, this is accross the board whether you download 1Gig or 500Gig per month.

That to me is a severe restriction of the service I paid for, enough for me to shop elsewhere.

PS, Eclipse is looking like the winner, I think they will be getting a new customer soon.

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I'm deciding between Nildram and Eclipse at the moment.

Encryption has helped a little in the mean time.

6. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

yeah im looking aswell matey, i like the sound of eclipse, but ill take a look at nildram.

Such a shame why they had to enable the damn thing.

EDIT: looking at nildram's fir use policy on the 2meg connection i dont really understand

Last edited: 12 Mar 2006
  7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Basically during peak hours you can download 50Gig per month, and during off peak hours there is no limit.

If during the month you don't download 50Gig during peak hours, those remaining allowance is carried over to the following month.

8. atanum141

ahh, but their peak hours is pretty much the entire day!

only after midnight it dosent count.

who's ur first choice yoda?

9. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

just to say my 2cents, PN suck, im on the 2mbit premier and even though I dont use any kind of P2P (its lame), download speeds via HTTP or FTP (especialy FTP) have fallen considerably(down to aprxo 30kb/s). Their "Fair use pollicy" is totaly flexable for them by the way its worded and they are trying their best to ridd them selves of any heavy users.

10. atanum141

Well ive just gotten off the phone with Eclipse, looks like im gonna order the Flex 1meg service. After talking with the nice lady she told me it would take 5 working days to sort out the migration to their service also that they DONT have any port throttling whatsoever....THANK THE LORD!!!

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's kinda sad since Pipex used to be an awesome company back when I used them during Uni. :(

12. atanum141

Tis true...never had a problem with them and they offered payment by quartely which i like. but its a shame where i pay my full price and i should enjoy FULL speeds of downloads. such a shame.

13. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I still need to phone eclipse regarding their 8meg plans, will Flex2000 customers automatically get 8meg or will it only be part of the "flex" up option where you pay extra for the speed boost per hour of use.

If on Nildram's Broadband2 option they say once your exchange gets upgraded you automatically get upgraded to 8meg no extra charge.

14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

MAC code arrived today.

Decided to go with Nildram in the end, I'll let you know what they are like once the Migration goes through.

15. atanum141

is it a 12month contract?

and what did pipex ask you? also do you have to say that you wanna cancel or that ur just migrating?

16. padair

padair Inebriated

It's really annoying that considering Pipex owns Nildram, that you have to migrate to nildram to get a far better service, unlike with pipex, it's only a one month contract, so if there's a better deal i can go elsewhere.
    I migrated to nildram from pipex about a year ago, and have had consistantly higher connection speeds and less dropped connections. The reason I left pipex was that they wanted to charge me £34 for the 1 meg service I previously paid £27 for. I moved to nildram and now pay £25 for 8 megs. As for the download limits, i just schedule them to download after midnight - with teh increase in speed, i can actually download teh same amount as before without having to leave my computer on 24 hours a day.

17. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I never knew that, hope I've not jumped from the frying pan into the fire.

The two companies seem to be run independently of each other, as their services differ quite a bit.

18. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Nildram are month by month.

I didn't ask to cancel, I just asked for them to send me my MAC code.
    The reason I gave was that they were throttling P2P traffic.

19. atanum141

Serious!
    I might do that as i dont want to be locked down to anything at the moment.....but eclipse dosent have a monthly limit.....decisions decisions....

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Zen are pretty good still, I'd say, I got an email a few weeks back saying that I could have a free upgrade to something like 2mb/s for the same money, but I'd have a 20GB/m cap, or for an extra tenner(£35) I could get a 50GB/m cap, but if the non-capped services are still available, then they might be worth looking into. I stayed on my 512 non-capped service for 512 a month, and theres definately no throttling or anything like that.

Tags: