1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Metaversa: LCD goodness (small update 17/07/05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nexxo, 11 Apr 2003.

1. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

This would be another generic "amazing mod, can't wait to see it finished" type post.
    but I've just read 1000 odd posts from the begining so I'm tired and irratable now :(

(it's very pretty though :))

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Frankly I'm amazed you read it at all! :) I haven't been able to do any work on it for a while and as such the tread was already down to the fifth page... Still, CustomPC has shown an interest so I guess I ought to crack on with it. It's just that at the moment I am so darn busy...

3. toidiochysp

toidiochysp What's a Dremel?

i just re-read this whole thread

*glances at his clock*

yikes can i get those few hours back?

anyways great mod nexxo, i really enjoyed reading it

4. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Go for it, will be cool to see it in print, and it turns modding into something your grandparents can be proud of.

5. Morpheon

Morpheon What's a Dremel?

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy to less time to produce :)

You can do it Nexxo!!!!

6. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

okay, the check is on the way...... oops, ran out of checks. :sigh:

7. Liquid Steele

Liquid Steele What's a Dremel?

Where did you get those phat handles I be peepin those fer real.

8. Nexxo

Those are marine ring-pull handles. I bought them in a marine supplies shop in Falmouth (Cornwall); however if you Google for "Marine Ring Pull Handles" you should get a good bunch of links.

9. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Thats looking great Nexxo,

I was going to ask if you have any other mods planned/worklogs in the making? Seeing as Metareverse will take anything you can throw at it you probably dont?

If you do.......can you give us any info?? I know that everyone is waiting with baited breath.

10. Nexxo

I need to finish this one first!

Actually, I was going to mod a Coolermaster ATC-S4000 at some point, but that idea has been scrapped (and it looks like I will sell that case soon).

Instead, I am looking to CAD design an aluminium WC case from scratch (why do you think I need Metaversa? :D ). CNC-ing and lasercutting, bespoke wiring loom, etc. Sexy but practical, light, strong and compact, some new ideas and solutions etc. This will take some time... hence I need a powerful PC to see me through for the next few years.

The reason I wanted to do my own case is because commercial cases are, basically, so woefully inadequate for WC setups. There is no logical place to put the rad or pump or anything. I want something to look purpose-built from the ground up, but I also want it to be commercially replicable should there be an interest.

My inspiration is something along the lines of modern Japanese motorbikes and glass-and-steel modern architecture --an elegant frame to bolt the components on and glass and aluminium (polished, sandblasted and/or anodised --some textures anyway) laser-cut panels hinged over that.

11. OdDBaLL_MoD

OdDBaLL_MoD Always planning something...

Nex, i know what you mean, i'll be really interested in that case, and this one is just great :thumb:

12. Sathy

Sathy What's a Dremel?

Wow, just cought up with this thread. Took a few evenings to browse through all of it.
    Must say I'm also amazed by the quality of your project nexxo, eventhough it seems like it's taking a lifetime to finish more or less =]
    Such great inspiration for a beginner modder like myself. (planning my first =])

Style you got. Keep it up!

.Sathy

13. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Nexxo. Im wondering what you've been using to cut all of the aluminum with. Im not sure if you've mentioned it before.

Thanks.

14. Nexxo

Dremel with reinforced cutting disk for straight lines, drills and/or hole saws on drill press for the holes. The side panels will be lasercut or CNC cut however, for a neater finish.

15. Razor_cut

Razor_cut What's a Dremel?

Hey Nexxo

Wich store did you buy your Pi-thon gear from? I live in sweden so I belive there will be the same conditions fore me to order..

Thanks for the help

:thumb:

16. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

WOW!
    this really is a great mod!
    some kick ass hardware too!!!
    how much ram you got in it? just the gig?

17. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

it looks like you really accurrate with that dremel.

18. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

Just finished reading the whole thread! 2.5 hrs last night and half an hour today!. It looks amazing! Muchos kudos for pulling off all of that engineering at home - as a design engineer, it is always a real pleasure to see high quality intelligent design!

Very well done so far! I am in awe!

19. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

Just a random post to say that I sorted the threads by views and yours comes top with 370,483*. You should have got sponsorship with that amount of readership.

You should do a HTPC next - I'd like to see what you could come up with.

(correct at time of publication, probably a bit more now)

20. Nexxo

Oop... didn't realise people have been posting here...

I got the Pi-Thon clamps from the company itself. It has changed it's way now and does not sell directly, but works through US distributors. In the Extreme Cooling section you will find a useful links sticky with a link to a US shop which will export them abroad (under Hoses, Fittings Etc.).

bixie_62: just the 512Mb PC2100 Reg. I had lying around. When I have some money again, I'm upgrading to 1-2Gb PC3200 Reg.

Ryszvaldo: Although I am a clinical psychologist by day, I love product design and engineering. The whole idea was to make something that was beautiful in its functionality rather than just having pointless decoration. Everything in it is there, and done that way, for a reason rather than just for looks --I hope. So to get a compliment from a design engineer is particularly gratifying. Thanks! :D

ralph.pickering: I was thinking of a HTPC, then a home-designed CNC'd case specifically for Watercooling, but given the practicalities and costs involved, I have now settled for adapting a Coolermaster ATC-S4000 case. I have some very interesting ideas for that... :naughty: A way to fit a 3x120mm fan radiator internally, and have again a contained WC system that can be slid out in one piece. Home designed CNC parts (now I can access Enak's l33t CNC skillz) throughout... this one would be a dual Opteron (X2?) with SLI setup. It will again be elegant, form follows function, design engineering with everything inside the case.